Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
VWT1994 Mine is a late build 2019 Se Tech RLine VR6. 4,200 miles. Head replaced 200 miles ago. Been stumbling randomly at idle since I picked it up 2 weeks ago. No check engine light yet. Plenty of warranty left.
The MIL may not come on all the time, but there still may be sporadic faults stored in the ECM. If you have a reader, look into it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had similar issues with my 2018 Atlas Highline. Within a year of owning it have had it in the shop multiple times, first for a “software update” to stop engine light from coming on, when it’s really cold out the drivers door sensor doesn’t work and the car thinks the door is ajar and won’t drive until the car warms up and they have offered no fix because I can’t replicate the issue in the shop, there was a recall about the airbags, then it started driving rough and the check engine light intermittently goes on and off, both catalytic converters had to be replaced....this is all in one year of owning this car. This is my first and last Volkswagen.

Hey there, we've had quite a few issues with our Atlas since we purchased it in January!!!

This is now our 4th time to the dealership in 6 months! Anyone else having these issues?

1) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Replaced sensor
2) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Replaced evap canister
3) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Tech had kinked a hose when replacing the canister.

4)Check engine light on intermittently - they're saying it's for the catalytic converters and they need to be replaced, will take 4+ days to get the parts and fix...

Is this happening to anyone else out there? Never seen cats have to be replaced on a car so early in life... did we get a lemon?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just received an emissions recall notice for my 19 Atlas that speaks to this exact issue. Looks like VW is trying to address through Software. Letter was in my mailbox yesterday (5/2/2020). Campaign = Emissions Recall 24FK - Engine Control Module (ECM) Software.

Under certain conditions, current ECM software may lead to thermal stress and/or premature aging of the catalytic converter. Vehicles may also experience other emissions-system related faults, which could cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to turn on. A MIL on will result in a failed IM (emissions) inspection.

Your authorized Volkswagen dealer will update the Engine Control module (ECM) software in your vehicle.

(More language on what to do, go to dealer, will take an hour or so, etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello again group. After calling my local dealer about the recall note, here is what I got. Note this is what I was told, nothing is in writing, and the work has not yet been performed, so take it for what it is (or isn't)
  1. The software update will also flag if there are potential issues with the hardware itself (the catalytic converters).
  2. At a high level, if your cats are made in Mexico, you're likely going to have an appointment setup to have the cats themselves replaced with ones from a German production line when the parts are available.
  3. Depending on which production line cats were in inventory in the VW TN factory the day your Atlas was built, you may have Mexican or German cats.
  4. After crawling under my Atlas with a flashlight, the cats are clearly marked MADE IN MEXICO with a date. Doh. Looks like this will likely be a two-part service visit for me...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think cats are guaranteed for ten years. It's just the pain in the butt taking it in and sitting around that bugs me.
I took mine in for the ECU software update today, I just noticed that all my windows don't go down when I hold the unlock on the remote, but they did yesterday. I guess it's time to consider buying an OBDeleven.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. Always fun to find the "additional new features" that come with an update. Keep us posted on other new features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the update applied this morning. The fun side event for me was lane assist, adaptive cruise control and front assist started throwing a bunch of codes as soon as I started rolling, where I have had no issues previously. Took it back, they cleared codes and tested for a bit and said it was fine. Now I am getting intermittent bright red collision imminent icons in the speedometer display screen, but no beeping or auto braking. Hooked up Carista for code scan, no codes present. I dunno. Going to keep driving until the next oil change and see what happens. I love software updates.

The service manager (different person that I spoke with when scheduling the appointment, he was off today) also made comments on the Mexican cats. Said we'd watch them, but likely will be replaced at some point.

And to reference the reply from above, my one touch window roll down still worked after the update.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I lost a few options like convenience down (all windows) with the update. I am going back tomorrow to the dealer. He accused me of messing with the long coding. Time to move on to another VW dealer who wants my business!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just returned from the dealer. He said that my SE w/Tech doesn't have the convenience opening feature. When asked what tech features does it have, he said he didn't know, but he looked at another one on the lot and it didn't have the option, although it shows on my infotainment menu..I asked if the update threw any codes and was told that they didn't check because the update effects only the ECU. I should have told him to change their sign from "Service" to "Opinions"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get Carista or OBD11. That will solve your problem. It's an easy to configure option in both tools. Power up, power down, sunroof, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That will be the plan.
Do you get any hassles when you bring your Atlas in for service? I was asked if I or anyone else messed with the convenience open/close option programming.on the phone when I made the last appointment.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
30 Posts
Had my emissions recall performed today. In and out in less than an hour.

No flags or issues reported. My only 2 OBDeleven tweaks remained unchanged (Start/Stop override and Convenience blink-4).

Afterwards there were no noticeable differences in driving that I could detect.

Both of the service writers were unaware of any notices or bulletins about Mexico vs. Germany manufactured cat failures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
this is now an official recall. my 18 selp v6 just threw a cel and dropped it off at the dealer today. they said they're backed up and should be done by tomorrow.

GEN2 MY 2018 Atlas Catalyst & SW
VW ACTION CODE
26N6
START DATE
05-19-2020
DESCRIPTION
Over time and mileage, the factory-installed catalyst may not perform as required. If the effectiveness of the catalyst is reduced, this may result in increased tailpipe emissions and the vehicle could fail an emissions (IM) inspection.
REMEDY
Replace catalyst and update ECM software.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts