Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that everyone is saying that the warrant is covering the replacement catalytic converters. My concern is whatever software they are running that is causing this problem has not been changed. Its nice that warranty is covering this for now, but what happens when the warranty is gone? Has anyone filed claim with National Highway Traffic Safety so we can start a recall here? Just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suspect there is some kind of coolant leak that is fouling the cats. I have had to top off the coolant every 10k miles or so. Not much coolant, but again, using my 06 F150 with 323k miles the only time I have had to top off the coolant was when doing a routine flush refill.

Anyone else see disappearing coolant and also need to have cats replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
With now 30k km on it, my Atlas again shows the light, the check engine light. Dealer checks and tells me, the cat that was built in 10k km before is to be replaced again.
Maybe I should replace the car, although I love my Atlas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 SEL, 15,000 miles, engine light came on for the first time. Next morning I drove to my dealership without an appointment, they check it out and tell me it's the catalytic converter. They had the parts available and I was out the door two hours later. No problem since.

I don't know why it needed to be replaced, but I am pretty much planning on my Atlas being in the shop throughout the length of the warranty, which was the key variable in my decision to buy it. It's a great vehicle for me so I'm okay with an occasional visit to the dealership. I will certainly have to reconsider when the warranty runs out in four more years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain fellow Atlas owners. I purchased a 2018 SE 4Motion V6 w/ Technology in Dec 2018. Had it for three days. Check engine light went on. I used a scan tool that I own and it showed that the emissions system was throwing a code. Brought it back to dealer. They knew right away what it was.... CATALYTIC CONVERTERS needed to be replaced. Something to do with the software. Apparently there are a series of VIN numbers with the 2018's that were manufactured with faulty catalytic converters and the software. Mine had to be ordered from factory and took long time (7 weeks). Good news is that once they were replaced and software updated, I have had no problems. I brought it to a mechanic friend of mine who does the State Emissions. He ran it through for me (even though wasn't required) and it passed. It's been almost one year since they were replaced and so far no issues. No check engine lights either. Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had our CAT replaced today. Dealer here says he does 5 or more each week and there is likely to be an actual recall soon. Not sure of any other details on which models, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my engine light come on and when bringing it in to dealer they also diagnosed it to be the catalytic converter. ETA for parts is 4-6 weeks. This is not my first issue. A month ago I had the water pump replaced after noticing the engine coolant was a little below the add line. Anybody else have their water pump replaced?
I have a 2018 Atlas Highline from day one i could smell burnt coolant told them at my first 15k service. They told me no issues coolant was low because factory forgot to top up and we did pressure test all is fine even though between services i have to top coolant up usually twice.Guess what I have 45k on vehicle now engine light came on yesterday not only are they replacing water pump because they found leak but also need to replace my cat as well. All under warranty and they supplied me a loaner. I'm thinking of dumping this vehicle before I hit the 4yr 80k warranty as I know this will be a consistent money pit and headaches I dont want!!! First and last VW I will ever own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect there is some kind of coolant leak that is fouling the cats. I have had to top off the coolant every 10k miles or so. Not much coolant, but again, using my 06 F150 with 323k miles the only time I have had to top off the coolant was when doing a routine flush refill.

Anyone else see disappearing coolant and also need to have cats replaced?
yep water pump being replaced because they found coolant leak and cats being replaced I have 45k on my 2018 atlas. Told them from day one I smell burnt coolant and was topping up coolant between services. They did pressure test and visual inspection and blah blah blah! Last vw I will ever own! I have a 05 acura TL with 260km on it only have done reg maintenance on it from new!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Still waiting for a response Catalytic Converters

I am having very poor gas mileage on my 2018 Atlas Rline. We picked it up on May 7, 2018 and from the beginning we had been getting 550-600kms to a tank of gas. Now I'm getting 400-470 km to a tank. This all started right after my first visit to the dealership for my first service, a recall and a software update. The next day, within 10 kms of driving it, my check engine light came on and the dealer is saying the Atlas needs catalytic convertors with no ETA on the parts. It has now been a month and still now availability. I am keeping my gas receipts and taking pictures of my dash to confirm the poor mileage I am now experiencing since this update was done. I want to know who will be giving me my lost dollars of gas due to this software update. I was not informed before by the dealer that there was a possibility this software could cause a defective emission restriction, but I had been informed AFTER by the dealer that this was the third Atlas this has happened to at their dealership alone! My vehicle was running perfect with no light on until the update was done. My biggest issue with all this I was forced by VW to forfeit my 2014 VW Passat 6 speed TDI and to be a loyal VW owner (this is now my 5th VW/Audi vehicle), I got into another VW. Now I'm having even more emissions issues, and I no longer have a diesel! I'm expecting this issue to be resolved by compensating my fuel loss from the date I had the update done until the day it is repaired and this issue is corrected. This check engine light is not only an embarrassment when I have friends in the vehicle but I can no longer use my remote start because of the check engine light, and this is the time of year to be using it the most, especially with an infant! This is not what I'm expecting in a brand new vehicle.:frown2:

Something I've learned from my Chrysler years. I have a 2011 Town and Country (I've had minivans since 1993). I tell them up front. DO NOT FLASH or UPDATE anything. Replacing parts for recalls, OK, but they are not to do any software updates without my permission and even when asked, most of the time, I say no, I'll just wait it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Catalytic converter replacement

My Atlas is 16 months old and the check engine light came on, they said the Catalytic converter needs replacing, waiting for parts. The service advisor said this is a common problem, why doesn't VW fix this if it is that common.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They did replace both cats, but I was told they don't know why they are failing. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, what happens at 32 months and 60000 Kms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the evap and catalyst efficiency faults are both from the catalytic converters. There is a warranty repair out for this issue now. Replace catalysts and flash ecm. Shouldn’t take more than 3 hours at your dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The
Yep. While driving home the CEL came on and I pulled over and checked the manual and it said to drive the car to the nearest dealer. Was only 6 miles from home and over 45 miles to the dealership so I opted to drive it home. Called and they advised me to have it towed in, (Which I did.), and while I waited for a tow I checked the engine with a code reader and got the now infamous P0420 code. Each time I started the car the CEL came on, and when the tow truck driver, (Actually a truck with a flat bed trailer showed up.), as I was driving the car onto the trailer the light went out.

After having the problem diagnosed at the dealership, they had us pick the car up and drive it since it was going to take about a month to get the new catalytic converters in. After about 700 miles the CEL came back on again and since we were close to the dealership we took it in and luckily they had the replacement cats in stock and were able to fix it over the next few days.

Everything was fine for a few more weeks till the light came back on again, but this time it flashed about three times, went back off and was diagnosed as a whole different situation . . . and a lot worse then the previous problem. (But that's a topic we can save for a later time!)

Let us know when the light comes back on and you finally have to have the cats replaced!! :wink2:
technician probably put the o2 sensors in backwards, causing misfire faults.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So when the cats start to go bad can you feel it before check engine light comes on? My Atlas has the cylinder head replaced & since we got it back it will occasionally stumble at idle & it feels like a miss but it feels more under the car than up front towards the motor. Is that what it feels like when cats go bad? Almost feels like the exhaust is plugged up to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So when the cats start to go bad can you feel it before check engine light comes on? My Atlas has the cylinder head replaced & since we got it back it will occasionally stumble at idle & it feels like a miss but it feels more under the car than up front towards the motor. Is that what it feels like when cats go bad? Almost feels like the exhaust is plugged up to me.
Are we talking the 2.0 TSI or the 3.6 v6? Your stumbling issue could be from a bad injector or injector harness if it’s a 2.0tsi. I’d definitely have the dealer make note of that. They’ll know where to go from there, if it’s still warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My guess is that there is a design fault with the placement of the O2 sensors. Changing cats and changing sensors won't solve the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
VWT1994 Mine is a late build 2019 Se Tech RLine VR6. 4,200 miles. Head replaced 200 miles ago. Been stumbling randomly at idle since I picked it up 2 weeks ago. No check engine light yet. Plenty of warranty left.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts