Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Hyundai palisade and not really happy with it, looking at a 2019 atlas or 2020 ascent suburu . Is the Atlas a reliable car and would you recommend buying one to your friends? Any issues or complaints ?

·
Banned
109 Posts
Just bought a Hyundai palisade and not really happy with it, looking at a 2019 atlas or 2020 ascent suburu . Is the Atlas a reliable car and would you recommend buying one to your friends? Any issues or complaints ?
You asked so I’m going to give my opinion and experience. We replaced a 2011 Escalade Esv with 140k miles that we got our money’s worth out of. My wife wanted a mid size and we chose the atlas over the others mainly due to the warranty and the price point for a new auto. It does drive smooth and quiet and the interior is laid out nice and spacious but it’s obnoxiously underpowered, especially for the average at best gas mileage.

We have owned our 2019 atlas v6 se with tech, 4Motion rline for about 13 months now and 35k miles. We HATE it! And I truly mean HATE! Sticker price of 44k, we paid 39k.

We have had more issues with this car than any car we have ever owned. Not even close.
1: 3x it’s been in the dealer service center because the car smells like it’s leaking coolant. The warning light has also come On a few times but the techs can’t find an issue. They tell me it’s “normal” and to keep a bottle of water in the car to add if it get low. Sounds normal right? I filed a case with VW and they were absolutely worthless to deal with and basically said to piss off. I’m contemplating filing a lemon law case.

Also, we’ve had the following actually repaired by the warranty so far:
1: front passenger and driver sway bar links replaced
2: seat belt buckle Replaced
3: push button start replaced
4: rear climate control screen replaced

If we decide not to fight it we are willing to trade it in and lose about $6k even after paying more than the min payment every month. They don’t hold value at all. Absolutely terrible resell value.

With my experience I will NEVER recommend this auto and I will NEVER never own another VW again. If I had no car and won one, I’d sell it. Ill Stick to the boring but reliable and trustworthy Toyota/Lexus brand. This atlas will probably be traded in for a Lexus GX 460

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would. Like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. Go to any other car forum and you'll find horror stories for every mfg. Our atlas we bought used with 11,000 miles. Prior owner had no issues. We've had no real issues. Currently 17,000 miles in. There is a coolant smell, but no leak no loss, so I can't really complain too much about that.
Yes, the VR6 engine lacks power and has weak gas mileage but we knew that coming in. That said, it is more spacious than anything else in its class. Tahoe/Yukon and expedition are bigger outside but less spacious inside. Wasn't interested in an XL version and needed something that came close to a minivan in size. Atlas hit the mark. And the warranty is better than any of those.
Are there things I'd change? **** yeah. There's a lot of plastic and fake wood, but I can live with that. The engine/mpg, but I can live with that.

·
Banned
109 Posts
I would. Like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. Go to any other car forum and you'll find horror stories for every mfg. Our atlas we bought used with 11,000 miles. Prior owner had no issues. We've had no real issues. Currently 17,000 miles in. There is a coolant smell, but no leak no loss, so I can't really complain too much about that.
Yes, the VR6 engine lacks power and has weak gas mileage but we knew that coming in. That said, it is more spacious than anything else in its class. Tahoe/Yukon and expedition are bigger outside but less spacious inside. Wasn't interested in an XL version and needed something that came close to a minivan in size. Atlas hit the mark. And the warranty is better than any of those.
Are there things I'd change? **** yeah. There's a lot of plastic and fake wood, but I can live with that. The engine/mpg, but I can live with that.
I agree with all you have said here even being that I am a bitter owner. We bought for the same reasons you did however with much worse outcomes. But we didn’t starting having issues until about 28k miles.
While I also agree that every brand has a few bad apples the VW has a TON and def more than most. It is consistently in the conversation for most unreliable vehicles on any publication.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
33 Posts
Yes, I would recommend the Atlas. Have had our 2019 S since December 2018 and no issues of any kind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 2018 SEL Rline 4motion. 33k miles. Have had no mechanical issues with the vehicle. That being said in my opinion the V6 is under powered and the gas mileage isn't that great. Also the resale value on it is crap. Not sure what organization sets that value but they just made me never want to buy another Atlas. I deffinately will do more research on that the next time I get ready to purchase another vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go with the Subaru. We leased a new 2019 SE V6 4 Motion with Tech. It's quiet and I love the way it drives and contrary to other post, plenty of pickup. However, first 100 miles had to replace Gas Line Pressure Pump. Next 100 miles had to have the Adaptive Cruise Control realigned. Then within a few hundred miles the passenger door speaker went out and then a noise started in front end. TSB said to replace most of front suspension. Now at 7330 miles the right side Blind Spot sensor will not indicate any vehicle larger than a sedan. Not cars pulling trailers, not pickups, not 18 wheelers. Thank goodness this is a lease. One year down, 2 to go. According to Consumer Reports, VW brand is next to last in reliability. Did I say thank goodness it's leased? Get the Subaru. Yes, all cars can have problems but choose one less likely than VW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting, my wife and I own a 2019 Atlas SEL 4Motion premium, we have just about 11,000 miles on it. Been in the shop for low fluid levels on a closed system. Was toled it must not have been filled all the way from factory. After about two months the low fluid level came on again. Long story short. The Atlas is back at dealership as I write. The head gasket needs replaced. Seems some models did not have the head bolts torqued to proper settings at factory causing a very slight anti-freeze leak. Head gasket now needs replaced. two recalls so far as well, 1- drain problem with sun roof leaking, 2- a problem with a adjustment screw with headlights that Needed a cap or something placed over it. Other than that we like the car. we are thinking though of looking at the Hyundai Palisade because I don’t like the fact the head gasket is being replaced

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sad that others haven't had as good an experience as I have had. For my part, I have and will continue to recommend the Atlas.

We bought our 2019 SEL Premium new off the lot in March 2019. It is the first time we have ever purchased a brand new, off-the-lot, fewer than 200 miles on it car. We initially investigated the Atlas because of research into mid-size SUVs which could seat 7 and still tow/haul a bit. We fell in love with it on our test drive. I drive a lot of rental cars (and SUVs) because of the amount of travel I do for work. I love my Atlas more after each such encounter (which includes Kia, Nissan, Toyota, GMC, Chevy, Buick, Chrysler, BMW [500 series sedan], etc.). Yes, the Atlas is an SUV, but it feels more nimble, less heavy, than anything similar in size I've ever driven. Yes, I understand that this is completely subjective. Some drivers might prefer a heavier feel. I am not one of them.

We've driven our Atlas just shy of 20,000 miles in the 10 months since we bought it. I have only had to have oil changes at the 10K and 20K mark so far, plus the aforementioned head-lamp adjustment caps (factory recall). I had the misfortune of having to have the windshield replaced twice (rocks kicked up on the freeway). While the factory (and the glass replacement company) claims you need to have the lane assist re-calibrated after that process, having evaluated it and tested it, it has not needed any such thing after either windshield replacement.

As it is winter right now, and I'm not opening the sunroof, I'll worry about getting the sunroof drainage seal recall done when I have time (before spring, certainly), though we never experienced any leakage. I replaced the floor mats with TuxMat custom mats (with the amount of snow/salt/sand in Utah winters, I didn't want wintery grime ground into the carpet and factory mats) and a Weatherproof mat for the cargo area. We have often laid the rear seats down, and occasionally laid the middle seats down to accommodate extra cargo and love how easy it is to do that. The ease of entry and comfort for even my 6'2" (1.82m) 16 year old son to be able to both enter and sit in the rear-most seats is wonderful, and one of the major selling points for us (though all of the kids fight to get the middle-row side seats in the winter, as they have seat warmers).

As mentioned here, I seem to get better mileage than many. Our Atlas sees around 2K miles per month, on average, though we're driving it a bit less now than from March 2019 - October 2019. Our family adores the Atlas, and we've recommended it to several others (some of whom have purchased their own). I will be the first to admit that my experience may be different than others as I got a nearly top of the line model (I adore the Digital Cockpit, and probably won't be able to ever buy another vehicle without a similar feature). We invested in Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV model winter/snow tires (we have a steep hill to climb to get to our home, and it is frequently above the frost line). My wife was very astonished by the difference in traction vs. the all-season radials that came with the Atlas. As a result, she drives with complete confidence in her own driving abilities in the Atlas in dry/wet/snowy/icy conditions (still set to Snow on the traction dial), as do I.

What can I say? We love our Atlas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are some items that I found out after I purchased a 2019 Atlas that makes it the most irritating vehicle I have ever owned.

Limited ability to change screen layout – Cannot put speed in the center.
Terrible reverse lights - Cannot see in dark with rear view camera.
Only one trip odometer, should have at least two, better three.
Should display odometer miles all of the time. When cruise control is on it doesn’t display.
TPMS - doesn’t really exist - no way to tell pressure in tires
Shift points in transmission cause jerkiness in acceleration
Need to turn off start/stop function every time the car starts - very jerky when engine restarts.
Adjustment of interior lights at night - play with screen while driving. No control knob.
Can't lock the door without a key.
You need an instruction book to change the wiper blades.
Garage door opener only works if ignition is on.
Fuel range - gas tank is way too small for mileage.
No online access to owner's manual. Cannot download to phone or tablet.
As a result cannot search for specific topic.
Can't shut off all lights with engine running. So if you want to start it in your driveway there are exterior lights to tell everyone it is running.
None of the USB circuits stay charged when the engine is shutoff. No quick charge of your cell phone.

What it does very well. Goes through the car wash. Actually it drives OK but every day one of the above irritates me and makes me regret my decision. All of the items on the list are things that were on my previous vehicles, some of them over 10 years ago, so it is not new technology. They are also items not likely to be uncovered in a test drive.

Would I buy another one, never, nor will I ever own another VW product.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
109 Posts
I loved my atlas so much I just accepted an offer for Carvana to buy it. Waiting on the final approvals and praying they didn't over value it because they are offering a little over $30k which is $2-4k more than Ive been getting hit at by local dealers. Total depreciation of 32% in just 13 months( 35k miles driven). Absolutely terrible! To put resell value into perspective, my 2015 toyota tundra sr5 (base model 4wd) had a 41k price tag and now 5 years later and 108k miles, its still worth around $26.5k which is a 35% depreciation.

I've Never been so excited to write a $6k personal check to sell a car in my life! Good Riddance Atlas!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some of these are legitimate complaints, others I think are done for a reason.

Limited ability to change screen layout – Cannot put speed in the center.
Are you sure? On my SEL P one of the display options puts the digital speedo in the center.

Terrible reverse lights - Cannot see in dark with rear view camera.
Yes, but just spend $7 on some LEDs and swap them. It literally takes 60 seconds.

Only one trip odometer, should have at least two, better three.
Yes, odd, but I've never needed a second one. I'm wondering if this is a case of eliminating something 99% of people don't use?
There is an "extended period" screen on the driving data page/screen, but I haven't yet figured out what this is measuring or how to reset it. Mine has the last 1500mi and 51hrs or so.

Should display odometer miles all of the time. When cruise control is on it doesn’t display.
Yeah, this is an odd choice considering a digital display can have unlimited info. But do you really need to see your ODO all the time?
TPMS - doesn’t really exist - no way to tell pressure in tires
This is a cost saving measure for them and for owners. I bet a lot of mfgs move to this type. Not saying it's good or right, but I bet you see more of it. Also, you can buy the sensors and change to the standard system....it is supported by the vehicle. It just costs hundreds of dollars. Someone here or on vortex has done it. It's a factory setup and displays in the dash.
Shift points in transmission cause jerkiness in acceleration
I don't love this transmission by any means, but I don't think it's jerky. The shift points are not where I'd want them for sure. Do you drive in normal or sport shifting mode?
Need to turn off start/stop function every time the car starts - very jerky when engine restarts.
Talk to the EPA. I think every car with start/stop is set up this way. If it isn't the default then VW could not count on the fuel economy boost. Also, you can turn this off either by programming in the infotainment system or I believe disconnecting a single wire on the battery (the system checks voltage to enable shut off)
Adjustment of interior lights at night - play with screen while driving. No control knob.
I'm trying to think if I've been in a car with a digital dash that had a brightness knob. I can't remember. I don't find myself needing to adjust it though so I've never thought about this.
Can't lock the door without a key.
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can't press the lock button and can only use the key fob? I used to always hit the lock button on my way out of previous cars. Now I just tap the little indented line on the outside door handle and that locks the vehicle. It took a month of training but now it's my standard practice.
You need an instruction book to change the wiper blades.
Haven't changed mine yet but I noticed that you can't turn them off mid wipe. I was wondering how I'd change them....
Garage door opener only works if ignition is on.
This is a home safety feature. It ensures that if the vehicle is parked in your driveway someone can't get inside and open your garage. Makes sense. But, it is annoying when you are parked IN your garage and want to pull out. You don't want to start the car with the door closed! Again, this required me to retrain myself. Now I get in the car and, with my foot OFF the brake, press the start button to turn on ACC power. Hit the opener button, and then start the vehicle.

Fuel range - gas tank is way too small for mileage.
Yup. If you build a car with shitty gas mileage you are supposed to compensate with a larger tank.
No online access to owner's manual. Cannot download to phone or tablet.
Never needed this but I could see it being useful.
Can't shut off all lights with engine running. So if you want to start it in your driveway there are exterior lights to tell everyone it is running.
Again, this required an OBD device to change, but it is part of the daytime running lights. I was able to add the option to my infotainment lights section to disable DRL with the push of a button. Not a factory setting by default but it can be added. I believe you can also set them to go off when in park with the parking brake applied.
None of the USB circuits stay charged when the engine is shutoff. No quick charge of your cell phone.
Check the center console. I believe the one inside the console is always on.
I'm planning to add a couple of aftermarket USB ports to the 3rd row. May make them always on. You could always add one up front or rewire an existing one to be always on...

I realized that on a 40-50k vehicle you don't want to have to "fix" things that were done differently. But in my opinion if there's a $10 or $20 "fix" it is better than driving around hating your car for not having the feature you want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
@Woodturner2
I just figured out how to reset the other "trip odometer". In the CAR menu, if you select Driving Data there is an "extended period" data screen. This can be reset manually in the settings menu in the bottom right. Go to "instrument cluster" and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the option to "reset extended period driving data".
Not a simple button press, but if you need a second trip odometer, there is an option for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you need a second trip odometer, there is an option for you.
The problem I found with this extended odometer is that it does not persist past a few hours. It's really only temporary, and IIRC, resets after a few hours of the car being completely stopped.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, this is an odd choice considering a digital display can have unlimited info. But do you really need to see your ODO all the time?
This is one of the irritations I agree with. It does seem odd, but I've learned to live with it. It really isn't that inconvenient.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Limited ability to change screen layout – Cannot put speed in the center. *Agree but I've never had a need for it to be in the middle
Terrible reverse lights - Cannot see in dark with rear view camera. *I can say the same thing about my 2011 Minivan and 2 Jeeps. I did install LED lights (jeep) Improvement
Only one trip odometer, should have at least two, better three. *Not sure why you feel the need for 2+. I have one in my 09 Jeep. Never use it.
Should display odometer miles all of the time. When cruise control is on it doesn’t display. *But you can still use the Tripodometer, right?
TPMS - doesn’t really exist - no way to tell pressure in tires. *Never owned a car that has this. Buddy at work with a vette has this. It's always freaking out (bad readings)
Shift points in transmission cause jerkiness in acceleration *Totally agree. My first 8 speed tranny. Son's 2019 Compass does the same thing too
Need to turn off start/stop function every time the car starts - very jerky when engine restarts. *You can thank the EPA for this. Has nothing to do with VW. It's called "tapering with emissions" if you hack it.
Adjustment of interior lights at night - play with screen while driving. No control knob. *Yep. Agree. But I guess they feel people need to pay attention to the road, not little buttons or rollers on the dash
Can't lock the door without a key. *Not from the outside. Did you try the little button on the door?
You need an instruction book to change the wiper blades. *Looks like the same thing on my daughters Nissan. Not as easy as my Jeep or minivan but still, not rocket science
Garage door opener only works if ignition is on. *Really, dude, this is a SAFETY/SECURITY feature. I now park my minivan outside and I disabled the homelink so someone couldn't break into my car and open my garage door.
Fuel range - gas tank is way too small for mileage. *Agree. But I look at it another way. It costs less to fill it up. When gas hits $4 a gallon, it's a mindphuck thing.
No online access to owner's manual. Cannot download to phone or tablet.*You can go to VW's website, put in your vin and get access. But no download. If I need something, I pull out the manual that's nicely taking up space in my glove box.
Can't shut off all lights with engine running. So if you want to start it in your driveway there are exterior lights to tell everyone it is running. *It also aids in finding your car on those dark mornings. My 2011 Minivan and 09 Jeep does the same thing, my 02 Jeep does not.
None of the USB circuits stay charged when the engine is shutoff. No quick charge of your cell phone. *Again, the USB's in my Minivan do not stay "ON". One accessory plug in the center console does stay powered.

There are LOTS of things to LIKE and DISLIKE about ANY CAR on the road. One thing you DIDN'T hit on is another security/safety feature. I had a 2013 Passat. When you auto started it, all was fine till you touched the handle, then it would DIE. You had to either restart it or get in and start it. At least VW did away with that "feature". And I'm surprised you didn't complain about how the audio drops when you put the car in reverse. Some of your complaints are legit but after driving the car on 4 long trips, last trip was 2800 miles, since I took ownership in 2019, July, it's taken some getting use to. Some of your issues that I agree with are petty. But I bet if you smashed into a wall (or god forbid, another car) head on, you won't complain about the structural integrity of the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The problem I found with this extended odometer is that it does not persist past a few hours. It's really only temporary, and IIRC, resets after a few hours of the car being completely stopped.
I've not had this experience. There are several different screens. "Since Start", "Since refuel", and "extended". My extended is currently at 51 hours and 1500 miles. I don't believe this one resets unless you reset it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, you CAN unlock the car using the door control button, but you can't lock it. In a way to CHEAP out, VW made it where pulling the passenger or rear door openers (inside the car) will unlock, but you can't lock the car from the inside from those 3 positions, only the driver side. Heck, I drove my 09 Jeep for 5 years before I noticed there was NO KEY LOCK/UNLOCK on the passenger side door. Just took for granted there was one because it's on the dirver's door. There's a lock/unlock button on the inside and it works rather power is on or not, but only one key hole on the dirvers door. Hmm. :cautious:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts