Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 VW ATLAS V6 SEL Premium W/4MOTION that has a wired Apple Carplay connection. Does it support wireless with the new Wireless Carplay adaptors out now?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you are talking about the aftermarket "adapters" they are selling, then I guess the answer is yes. It's not true wireless carplay, but it works the same. You plug in the adapter and your car thinks it is wired carplay....and your phone transmits to the adapter wirelessly. Personally I see no need for wireless despite wishing it was available originally. Without a wireless charger, wireless carplay will use battery and on longer trips you'll need/want to plug in anyway. I like to keep my phone plugged in and topped off so there's not an advantage to me of going wireless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are talking about the aftermarket "adapters" they are selling, then I guess the answer is yes. It's not true wireless carplay, but it works the same. You plug in the adapter and your car thinks it is wired carplay....and your phone transmits to the adapter wirelessly. Personally I see no need for wireless despite wishing it was available originally. Without a wireless charger, wireless carplay will use battery and on longer trips you'll need/want to plug in anyway. I like to keep my phone plugged in and topped off so there's not an advantage to me of going wireless.
I agree with the charging statement completely. my solution was to buy a 3rd party magnetic cable and adapter plug that fits flush with my phone case and use that to “quick” connect/disconnect when I get to the car. Another advantage of that was that they have different connectors so I need one cable for iPhone and Android when different phones are required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a discussion on this topic a while ago. The conclusion then was that aftermarket gadgets were flaky. But last week, I took the plunge anyway. I got 2021 CarlinKit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Volkswagen 2017 to 2021 Years Factory CarPlay Cars, Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay, Support iOS 14 . I hooked it up over the weekend and so far it has been working fine. All four days worth of data. The pairing process was simple (took about a min, I think). And now every time I get in the car, it connects. Google maps works fine. The steering wheel button to access Sri works fine. I have not noticed any additional lag. We even paired my wife's phone and it connected seamlessly. It has a USB-A connector so you don't lose wired either (though I haven't measured current to see if you've lost charging speed). 2018 Atlas SEL FWD.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tim, I was thinking just the opposite. I was interested in wireless Carplay so that I didn't fry my phone battery on long trips. I believe current thinking is not to charge past 80 percent to preserve battery longevity. At least that's the way it works with Tesla.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tim, I was thinking just the opposite. I was interested in wireless Carplay so that I didn't fry my phone battery on long trips. I believe current thinking is not to charge past 80 percent to preserve battery longevity. At least that's the way it works with Tesla.
I don't think the extra charge cycles are going to hurt battery life significantly. Unless you plan to keep your phone for 3-4yrs you'll be rid of it before there's a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The conclusion then was that aftermarket gadgets were flaky.
I ordered that same device for my 2019 Atlas SEL Premium. My experience has been:

1. Pairing required me to re-start my iPhone. That's on me, not the device. It paired just fine after that.
  2. It does, indeed, auto-connect every time after—including when the car pulls into my garage and I'm not in it (and my wife isn't using the cord or the Bluetooth pairing with the device).
  3. There is a slight delay between a button press on the Infotainment/Carplay UI and when the phone responds. This is acceptable to me, and is pretty much the same as my other cars with aftermarket CarPlay stereos that have wireless connectivity. If anything, the delay on this device is barely more responsive than one of the aftermarket stereos, but still faster.
  4. No observable audio quality loss.
  5. The Siri/Voice button on the steering wheel also works, but with a slight delay, as indicated previously.
I'll take it. I may try to get a new MagSafe charger for my iPhone that fits in my cup holder or something now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts