Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leasing a 2021 Atlas SE, 4 cylinders, 4Motion. Got it new in the summer, August 2020.

January 2021. During rain, the left wiper blade was hitting the A-pillar on the driver’s side. Went to the dealership where I got the vehicle. Mechanic found out that the wiper arms had been installed incorrectly (at the factory). He re-installed them correctly. Also bought new wiper blades and dealership installed them.

Now it’s happening again. When it’s raining and the wipers have been on continuously for around 5-10 minutes, the left wiper blade hits the A-pillar on the driver’s side. Sounds like something hitting a metal. It happens all the time when the wipers are on high speed, and sometimes when the wipers are on low or intermittent. Went to the dealership where I got the vehicle and spoke to the same service advisor as previously. It wasn’t raining and he turned on the wipers but the wipers didn’t hit the A-pillar, so I explained to him that it only happens when it’s raining and the wipers have been on for around 5-10 minutes. But this time he was more argumentative because he turned on the wipers and the left wiper blade didn’t hit the A-pillar. I explained to him again that it only happens when it’s raining and the wipers have been on for around 10 minutes but it wasn’t raining that day so we couldn’t replicate the wiper blade hitting the A-pillar. It doesn’t happen with the washer fluid. Only during rain. Next time it happens I’ll pull over and record it so that I can show it to the dealership.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
Is this when the wipers are on a high speed setting?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Yep...make a video. Hard to fix what they can't replicate. Sounds like the arm needs to be pulled and reinstalled a notch over.

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
Yes. It happens all the time when the wipers are on high speed, and sometimes when on low or intermittent.
My 2010 TDI does this also. Just need to move the wipers down a notice its a very easy process.
The 2010 only does it when its on high. I think they over extend a little bit. I asked my wife about this when i noticed it and she said it did it since New.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same thing happened on ours after they installed a new windshield. Like yours it took two trips because they said it didn't hit when they tried it in the shop, but it only happens on high speeds after a couple times. What helped for us was when I took it in, you could see two dirt marks on the windshield from where it stopped at two different positions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts