Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a winter wheel setup for my 2019 AWD. I have 20's but want to go down to 17 or 18's. Any VW 17's that work? Or do I need aftermarket? Has anyone used 17's or just 18's?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm looking to get a winter wheel setup for my 2019 AWD. I have 20's but want to go down to 17 or 18's. Any VW 17's that work? Or do I need aftermarket? Has anyone used 17's or just 18's?
I literally switched to 18" aftermarket rims with Yokohama 255/60 18s ice guards g075 this weekend. so far no issues. had factory 20s also. original and post swap pics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Did you go up to 255 for any reason or just liked the rims?
the originals are 255/50 20 which is exact match to 255/60 18. i know VW says to use 245/60 18 but to me that didnt make sense. looking at tire calculators, this is 0% difference so went with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I literally switched to 18" aftermarket rims with Yokohama 255/60 18s ice guards g075 this weekend. so far no issues. had factory 20s also. original and post swap pics.
View attachment 1549 View attachment 1550
How is your clearance? Wheel to caliper?
I have a set of 17" O.Z. Superleggeras 5x112 with a 35 offset iirc. These were my dailies on a B5 Audi A4
The OZs wheels would take 245/70-17 BLIZZAK DM-V2

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen few people run 17" in another forum, but I personally wouldn't - thought seems it is possible.

My stock wheels are 18" so I just kept winter setup the same (245/60/18 to be exact). Usually I recommend size down - but on vehicle this big, it just looks weird, and 5 months where I live is way too long to be looking at setup I don't like.

Atlas has huge wheel wells, and (in my opinion) 18s are "right of the limit" of acceptable (visually), so I decided not to go size down this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a set of 17" O.Z. Superleggeras 5x112 with a 35 offset iirc. These were my dailies on a B5 Audi A4
At it's closest it's just over 1/2-3/4 inch or so. On similar subject, the wheels look set in too much. the offset is 35mm but they look much more set in than the original 20s. I think i'm going to look at a 20MM spacer to bring them out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
as i understand it Atlas doesn't come wiht TPMS sensors. Tire pressure monitoring based on ABS system. So no, i didn't get new ones nor did I swap.
okay, need to do more research on this then because from what I found I thought it came with sensors, now I wonder if they are like Honda's where there are no sensors but they are rotationally based sensors. Just to confirm you have no tire light on correct? When you put the new wheels on you just went to the tire pressure menu option and hit "set"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
okay, need to do more research on this then because from what I found I thought it came with sensors, now I wonder if they are like Honda's where there are no sensors but they are rotationally based sensors. Just to confirm you have no tire light on correct? When you put the new wheels on you just went to the tire pressure menu option and hit "set"?
Hadn't reset the pressure, didn't think of it.

Here is the extract from my manual, Page 328.

Tires and wheels

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

 Introduction Your vehicle's Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses the Antilock Brake System (ABS) sensors to indirectly check the tire pressure of all 4 tires while you are driving. The sensors monitor the tread circumference (rolling circumference) and vibration characteristics of the individual tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

 Introduction Your vehicle's Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses the Antilock Brake System (ABS) sensors to indirectly check the tire pressure of all 4 tires while you are driving. The sensors monitor the tread circumference (rolling circumference) and vibration characteristics of the individual tires.
I do not want to mislead anyone as I'm not 100% sure, but often these are different between US and Canada (sometimes due to different laws in place).

TPMS are I believe required by law in US, but I'm not 100% sure, I don't think they are in Canada, so ABS sensors are used instead. I have seen this on vehicle I had in the past, where we in Canada had same ABS sensors and folks in US had TPMS.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, so if I'm wrong, please ignore. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do not want to mislead anyone as I'm not 100% sure, but often these are different between US and Canada (sometimes due to different laws in place).

TPMS are I believe required by law in US, but I'm not 100% sure, I don't think they are in Canada, so ABS sensors are used instead. I have seen this on vehicle I had in the past, where we in Canada had same ABS sensors and folks in US had TPMS.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, so if I'm wrong, please ignore. ;)
Could be. So I guess best bet is to confirm in your vehicle manual. It was clearly stated in mine under the “Tires and wheels” section. I’d be curious to see what US manuals say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TPMS: I don't think there is a difference Canada vs US... US based here and as far as I can tell I don't have sensors... will find out Saturday.
As far as winter tire rim size, I went the cheap route and found OEM 18 inch wheels from a junk yard... aren't flashy and two of the wheels have some curb rash but its for winter tires which in my opinion get more of a beating! Also only paid $100 for two of them and $125 for the other two... 🤷‍♂️

1 - 14 of 14 Posts