Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windshield wipers Since I bought the car are dragging across the windshield it is so loud so unbelievably annoying. It happens during torrential rain and light rain. It’s not even cleaning the windshield because it’s dragging. Is there a fix to this problem?
https://youtu.be/CUayrT8ByaI
This link will take you to YouTube to see a video

While we are on the subject, since you cannot pop the wind chill wipers to stand forward both of the windshield how the heck do you change the wiper blades without climbing on top of the car?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds to me like they are dry rotted :frown2:

I'm used to that sound as I can count just how many times
I've used wiper in the last twenty years :laugh:

My Atlas is only a couple of months old and have not used them yet
only the rear one...by mistake.

For me I have a three step wooden ladder, works great for getting up there as well
as the roof at bath time :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
354 Posts
Firstly - if it's repeatable, take it in you may get your dealer to replace them for free. I found that mine had an issue like that (much more minor, only on the d. side) and simply bending the arm a bit towards the windshield sorted it out. I'd try the dealer/new wipers first.

The wipers need to be put in the service position. Turn on Atlas, then turn off, immediately push the wiper stalk down - they will move up so you can replace them. All in the manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, have a 2018 Atlas SEL with the exact same issue. They call it "chattering." It developed with the OEM wipers after about 7-8 months of ownership. So, I just bought 'better' new ones at Advance Auto -- not cheap ones as they cost about $80 or so. The chattering stopped. Then, about 6 months later, the same chattering is back! Asked the dealership (Nemer VW in Latham, NY -- don't go or buy there) about it and they said you need to replace the wipers -- again! They also said I am not using OEM and that is my problem and would only look into the issue if I use their wipers. I told them theirs did the same thing!!! The guy at Advance told me that my new aftermarket wipers should be good for a year. I said "only?" I have a 10 year Mazda that I replace the wipers on when they fall apart and it never has this problem.

So, either VW use crappy windshield glass (if that is possible), all wipers only last 6-8 months now (recall I tried two different brands), the arm pressure on the windshield is way off (something the dealership told me is not possible), and/or the automatic sensing wiper feature is maladjusted (it swipes way more times than it needs to even in 'please don't swipe much' setting. Honestly, the auto-sensing wipers is one "feature" I wish didn't have -- it never gets it right in all conditions. VW should allow you to disable it and revert to old-fashioned user-selectable timed wiping, though I know it won't totally solve the chattering problem.

Not sure what to do next. I guess I will go to the dealership and pay $100 for their equally crappy wipers and then when they start chattering after X months, beg them to do something about it? VW really messed up something on this car with the wipers -- an item that is essential and important for safety and when they don't work right it makes the driving experience dangerous and, for me, very aggravating. I would not buy another VW likely. That said, I still have to live with this one, so if anyone has a solution, please please please let me know!

·
Super Moderator
354 Posts
A set of VW wipers is about $30 online (ecstuning.com). I would try to just bend the arm towards the window slightly to put more pressure on them. Worked for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the OEM wipers with Bosh Icon ClearMax blades and problem gone. Installed for only 2 months though so lets hope it lasts!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in the mountains of CO so I immediately replaced the crappy factory wipers on my new 2019 Atlas. I went with Trico Ice and they have been awesome all winter. And the rain sensing wipers work well also. I will replace with another version of Trico Beam Blade for the summer months or try the unused VW stock ones to see how they fare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts