Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2018 SEL 4 motion Atlas and it has 21500 miles and bought it 3 years ago. It's due for annual engine oil and filter change service. The dealer is telling me that I need brake fluid flush, which is required after 3 years, even though my car has only 21500 miles. Can some one please tell me how often brake fluid flush is required for Atlas.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
3 years is correct...it's time-based not mileage-driven. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture over time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will get it done along with oil and filter change. The dealer charges $195 labor for it. Is 3 years also valid for 4 motion clutch fluid flush. Has anyone did it and how much it costs.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will get it done along with oil and filter change. The dealer charges $195 labor for it. Is 3 years also valid for 4 motion clutch fluid flush. Has anyone did it and how much it costs.
Yes, the Haldex clutch fluid is 3 years. I've DIY'd it before, it's not hard but I get many won't want to. The biggest issue you have is making sure the dealer actually knows how to do it (it's not that common for folks to request this apparently) and there have been reports of some techs draining/filling the wrong bits and getting confused with the rear differential which is a different part than the Haldex unit. The DIY kit including the fluid, a hand pump (giant syringe) and the replacement hardware was about $125 to put this in perspective.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Interesting topic. If you look at different manufacturers, the time period for maintenance varies quite a bit. I would get the Haldex done by the dealer, but the brake bleed is really something that you can do easily for about $10 in brake fluid. Personally, I do it every time I do a brake job, so about 60K +/- 10K miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd get a quote from a local shop or brake shop. $200 for $15 worth of fluid and 30 minutes of work is a good deal.... for the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to dealer today for 3 yr/21500 mile service, and was quoted $140 for 4 motion Haldex clutch fluid change, which is required at every 3 years if you have 4motion. I got both engine oil/filter and Haldex fluid change done for total $206 (using $25 off deal). The 4motion Haldex gear oil is pretty expensive at $35-40, so not a bad deal. I will get brake fluid flush done at local shop for $80.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have brake fluid tester and it shows 0% moisture in brake fluid, so not going to flush brake fluid for another 6 months to a year. For VW and it's dealers, it is something they recommend every one taking their car for service, and $195 labor for flush is not reasonable. My local shop charges $80, but the guy says he does it every 35-40 k milies, and I only drove 21k in 3 years, so it seems too early to do it.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
I do have brake fluid tester and it shows 0% moisture in brake fluid, so not going to flush brake fluid for another 6 months to a year. For VW and it's dealers, it is something they recommend every one taking their car for service, and $195 labor for flush is not reasonable. My local shop charges $80, but the guy says he does it every 35-40 k milies, and I only drove 21k in 3 years, so it seems too early to do it.
You certainly can do it this way - the moisture in the DOT fluid thing is probably a bit over-blown. I've always done it in my cars but not exactly every 2 years and with the testing, you ahve data to substantiate it. It's easy money for the dealer/service places b/c it's so easy/quick to do.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I might add a comment on synthetic brake fluid in case someone is considering it. It is marketed as a non hydroscopic fluid (non moisture absorbing). Simply, don’t use it! It causes all kinds of brake problems. It is used in classic and show cars that sit a lot and where the braking performance is not an issue. When used, the complete system has to be purged of the regular fluid, as, it doesn’t mix well with other glycol based brake fluids. .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was just looking in the manual and it says brake fluid change interval is every TWO years, the AWD system is THREE years.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think two years is a bit excessive. It’s like my Toyota which came with free oil changes for 24 months or 24k miles. After the 24k miles, they said change it every 5k miles.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
I was just looking in the manual and it says brake fluid change interval is every TWO years, the AWD system is THREE years.
Correct - I think 2 years is a bit much for a vehicle that isn't beat on. You can buy a brake fluid moisture tester and just test it, if it's fine it's fine. I will do my Haldex (awd) and brake fluid this Jan as it's been 3 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts