Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started shopping for winter wheels...learned something new/bs today...

so story goes i picked up the car recently and thought hey let's start looking for a new set of wheels..
Saw a tune shop locally what has a great deal on a wheel with almost perfect match to stock 18" except +1ET and went in to check.
Owner tells me the wheel would not hold the weight of the atlas.

Now to some degrees i thought it made perfect sense until he started selling me another set which is about $100 more per wheel. now those are good bbs wheels and its still a decent deal - i didn't buy since i wasn't budgeted for that extra $400

but the question is - i know the atlas is heavy at 6000lbs...but wheels that can't take the weight? the load rating per manufacture was 850kg...i thought it would pass as it is above half the heavy axle at 3131 lb...

·
Super Moderator
211 Posts
Started shopping for winter wheels...learned something new/bs today...

so story goes i picked up the car recently and thought hey let's start looking for a new set of wheels..
Saw a tune shop locally what has a great deal on a wheel with almost perfect match to stock 18" except +1ET and went in to check.
Owner tells me the wheel would not hold the weight of the atlas.

Now to some degrees i thought it made perfect sense until he started selling me another set which is about $100 more per wheel. now those are good bbs wheels and its still a decent deal - i didn't buy since i wasn't budgeted for that extra $400

but the question is - i know the atlas is heavy at 6000lbs...but wheels that can't take the weight? the load rating per manufacture was 850kg...i thought it would pass as it is above half the heavy axle at 3131 lb...
The Atlas only weighs about 4500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep in mind the weight to be concerned with isnt the curb weight of 4500 lbs, it's the GVWR or around 6000.
Also keep in mind the towing capacity of 5000 lbs when properly equipped.
The tire shop has an App that they should use to scan the the sticker inside the driver door to get specific vehicle information.

I was able to find 22" wheels with Z rated all season touring tires for $1850 out the door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts