Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really struggling here.... As i am sure most of you have seen my posts and horrible atlas ownership experience, I am still not sure I want to get rid of it because I actually like the ride and other reasons why we decided to purchase it.

details:
  • 2019 SE/Tech Rline v6 4motion, 36k miles
  • just had a huge head gasket job completed along with front suspension, pb start, seat belt buckle, and rear climate screen also replaced in the first year.
Most days here lately I have been so incredibly frustrated with this car because of the issues I have listed above and I want to get rid of it. But when I drive it I really like it and think of what I would replace this with for similar money that gives us the same bang for the buck. I also keep thinking that I have already had all of these issues repaired and what are the chances they need done again, especially a head gasket?! If kept, I would buy the extended warranty that would take us to 150k miles because quite frankly I am struggling with trusting this car for the next 4-5 years.

Cars we are considering trading the atlas for:
  • Used Lexus GX460 would be a top midsize choice but lacks rear space. My wife also hates the barn door but reliability is the driving factor here.
  • My first choice: Used tesla x. spend more upfront and I would get a CPO that covers it until 100k. Total COO is pretty close to the other SUV options I mention. This is my first choice because I can control costs ( with the mileage we drive we spend 3-400/ mo on gas in the atlas @ current prices). Plus when the tesla is paid off in 24 months, the COO goes waaaaaayyy down.
  • Cadillac Escalade CPO. This would be our 3rd escalade so we know what we are getting. First was a 2006 that we drove until 135k then it got hit, replaced with 2011 that we drove until 140k. replaced that with atlas Dec 2019.
My questions is, if this was your atlas, first experience owning a VW, would you keep this rig or move on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
this thread can be deleted. .... I am not keeping this POS. VW is the worst compnay I have ever purchased anything from... I WILL NEVER OWN ANYTHING VW MADE and they sure as **** wont get another dime from me interest. This atlas will be gone by the end of the week! Every chance I get to discuss an auto I will be sure to share my horrible experience with the intent of turning someone off of even considering this crappy product.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately experiences will vary person to person. Just bought the 2019 SE Tech 2.0L and love it so far. I'd also be pissed in your shoes. Head gasket at that age is absurd. Hoping its isolated to the lemon you got bc I do love to drive this thing! Heard bad things on the V6 anyhow, plus 2.0 is faster and better MPG......just limited in towing capacity. I'd keep it until the warranty is up since you've already gone through it all now, ****. When it's up then unload it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Treat it like a kid. Accept it for it's personality shortcomings and love it no matter what. You will sleep better. 🍺

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Treat it like a kid. Accept it for it's personality shortcomings and love it no matter what. You will sleep better. 🍺
That’s actually funny. I’ll name it after my teenage son. Lol. The atlas is gone tomorrow at 10am. Carvana is picking it up. I can’t wait!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can understand your frustration with your Atlas. Though it wasn't new, I was the 2nd owner of a 1990 Honda Accord. At least you didn't have the Atlas long enough to watch the rear bumper fall off in the driveway, or watch water fill up the floor boards when it rained, or end up putting a rubber ducky antenna on the rear fender so the trunk lid wouldn't break it off every time you closed it. I won't talk about the starter, alternator, fuel system, did I say starter? or the rust. As long as the car wasn't moving or starting, it was a ok car. But that was another life. I'm sure all Honda's are not bad but it was bad enough to keep me from every owning another. Sadly, for me, every car that Consumer Reports said was a best buy or recommend was a bust for me. Everything they said was a POS was my best car(s). So far, it was the 1993 Plymouth Voyager and my 02 and 09 Jeep Liberty. I still have my 09 and it will be the last car I ever get rid up when it comes to that time.

What are you replacing your Atlas with?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand your frustration with your Atlas. Though it wasn't new, I was the 2nd owner of a 1990 Honda Accord. At least you didn't have the Atlas long enough to watch the rear bumper fall off in the driveway, or watch water fill up the floor boards when it rained, or end up putting a rubber ducky antenna on the rear fender so the trunk lid wouldn't break it off every time you closed it. I won't talk about the starter, alternator, fuel system, did I say starter? or the rust. As long as the car wasn't moving or starting, it was a ok car. But that was another life. I'm sure all Honda's are not bad but it was bad enough to keep me from every owning another. Sadly, for me, every car that Consumer Reports said was a best buy or recommend was a bust for me. Everything they said was a POS was my best car(s). So far, it was the 1993 Plymouth Voyager and my 02 and 09 Jeep Liberty. I still have my 09 and it will be the last car I ever get rid up when it comes to that time.

What are you replacing your Atlas with?
There are def horror stories with every brand, no doubt about it. Your Honda story is my VW experience. I will never own another one. We are going to buy a used Honda Pilot EX-L and then when my son take is it over in a year, we will go the EV route and pick up a Tesla model X for my wife to drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a symbol of the happiest day of my Atlas ownership experience! The VW atlas was like buying and selling an expensive boat!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts