Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2019 Atlas SEL Premium. The original tires are the Continental Cross Contact LX Sports. They have about 20,000 miles on them and though I haven’t checked the tread depth they seem to be wearing well. Other than a couple of nail punctures I have been satisfied with them.. However, eventually I’d like to replace them and have read about the Continental Terrain Contact HT, Pirelli Scorpion Verde or Zero, and Michelin Defender as good replacements. Any feedback from the forum?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2019 Atlas SEL Premium. The original tires are the Continental Cross Contact LX Sports. They have about 20,000 miles on them and though I haven’t checked the tread depth they seem to be wearing well. Other than a couple of nail punctures I have been satisfied with them.. However, eventually I’d like to replace them and have read about the Continental Terrain Contact HT, Pirelli Scorpion Verde or Zero, and Michelin Defender as good replacements. Any feedback from the forum?
I recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires. I purchased a new Atlas Cross Sport SEL Premium with Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires in Minnesota and when I was driving 20 MPH in snow I lost control and put $22K damage on my car with 2500 miles on it. Pirelli Scorpions are good in warm climate but not snow. The R3s will fit on factory rims and are the best tires out there. If you want a more aggressive look get the Nokian Rotiva AT tires with 17” rims.

My brother in law is a scientist that researches all the major tire brands tire technology and Nokian is the top manufacturer. I bought the R3 for my wifes Tiguan and the Rotiva for the Atlas. Both are great.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put on a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3 all terrains in 255/50R20 and they handled great on a road trip in some of the massive Florida rainstorms we get. Very slight tread noise at 75-80 MPH, but you can only notice it with the radio off.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires. I purchased a new Atlas Cross Sport SEL Premium with Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires in Minnesota and when I was driving 20 MPH in snow I lost control and put $22K damage on my car with 2500 miles on it. Pirelli Scorpions are good in warm climate but not snow. The R3s will fit on factory rims and are the best tires out there. If you want a more aggressive look get the Nokian Rotiva AT tires with 17” rims.

My brother in law is a scientist that researches all the major tire brands tire technology and Nokian is the top manufacturer. I bought the R3 for my wifes Tiguan and the Rotiva for the Atlas. Both are great.

View attachment 2324 View attachment 2326
Good to know! Thanks. I live in Colorado’s Front Range so tires need to be safe in snow, and we are expecting a foot in the high country tonight!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Michelin and only Michelin

·
Registered
1 Posts
so you don't get any rubbing or anything with the 265/65-17's? are you lifted or using spacers?

thanks,

View attachment 2324 View attachment 2326

·
Registered
11 Posts
Based on the results from this Tire Rack chart, I changed to the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. After 500 miles they are much quieter than the Continentals. To be fair, the alignment was out so that may have added to the road noise. I had planned to go with Michelin Premier LTX as I’ve had them on similar vehicles and was happy. So far I believe the Pirellis are an improvement for my Atlas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires.
I 100% second this. I've had two seasons on my 2019 Atlas SEL Premium, and after the 1st season, I bought Hakkapeliitta winter tires for all of my other cars. There is no better winter tire than a Nokian, other than a studded Nokian winter tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Based on the results from this Tire Rack chart, I changed to the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. After 500 miles they are much quieter than the Continentals. To be fair, the alignment was out so that may have added to the road noise. I had planned to go with Michelin Premier LTX as I’ve had them on similar vehicles and was happy. So far I believe the Pirellis are an improvement for my Atlas.
I came to the same conclusion based on the same data (plus a quick scan of Consumer Reports). Happy so far with Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s. They are quieter and ride better. Haven't closely monitored mileage. Handling doesn't seem worse. 2018 SEL v6 FWD,

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I liv in the middle of the Rockies. I had great luck with my Atlas and the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero's. I researched new tires at 40,000 and decided to stick with the same only upsized to 275/45/21. They were much cheaper through tire rack with a $120 install credit, $40 warehouse pickup in Denver and they were on sale for $268. So....Under $1000 for the for plus $80 install at the VW dealer. Car has never rode better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts