Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so happy to get my 21 SEL Premium at the end of August. It really was beautiful, well equipped and fun to drive. Spent months trying the competition and reading some horror stories for each brand. Well, im here to say I wish I never bought this car. I jave 3 cars, 2014 GMC terrain. 2013 Ford Superduty, and the Atlas. Since 2013 I have been to a service dept twice, both times for my brand new Atlas. It was perfect for our family needs, but Alas its absolutely a piece of junk.

2 weeks in the CEL light comes on. I read codes and it's the evaporative pump. Get to dealer and on the way, I heard clunking going over bumps. Had them check the CEL and the clunks. Dealer is an hour away btw. They replaced the pump and found front sway bars were bad...on a brand new car. They replaced them too. 5 hours lost that day. All problems seemed ok. A week later an error for the ACC came on and went away several times and has stopped since. Also, the start stop stopped but wouldn't start at traffic light. All that stuff resolved so far now the biggie.

GF texts me tat water is pouring in the roof near the rear view mirror. Water is all over the console and dash. She got to work and it was left in the rain. Luckily there is a VW dealer near her job. They came to get it and have it. They will be keeping in for a while they said and gave us a loaner. Family of 6 and we will be cramped back into our old cars for a road trip. We were going to be proudly showing our brand new VW to friends and family, now, they will know to not buy a VW and steer clear. Judging by this site and others, the water leaks never stop and just continue after each "fix". I will never buy another VW, take that to the bank. If anyone wants a 2 month old Atlas SEL Premium, hit me up to work a deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. 6 days later got it back, couldn't duplicate the issue. 5 days later, its leaking again and back in the shop. It's been a week and today is Friday, so it will be another 3 days at least. Pretty cool though, they put us is an Infiniti QX80! I currently have almost 2500 miles put on rental cars since I bought our Atlas just over 2 months ago. Avoid this car at all cost, it is alluring, attractive , rides nice, and has lots of space but we have decided to start the process for lemon law. Contacted a lawyer, they have notified VW of our intention to lemon law it as this is the 2nd attempt at the same repair and they have one more shot after this. That is unless it goes 30 days total for any repairs. We will be at 17 days Monday. It sucks as we really liked the car but they are just not well made.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update. 6 days later got it back, couldn't duplicate the issue. 5 days later, its leaking again and back in the shop. It's been a week and today is Friday, so it will be another 3 days at least. Pretty cool though, they put us is an Infiniti QX80! I currently have almost 2500 miles put on rental cars since I bought our Atlas just over 2 months ago. Avoid this car at all cost, it is alluring, attractive , rides nice, and has lots of space but we have decided to start the process for lemon law. Contacted a lawyer, they have notified VW of our intention to lemon law it as this is the 2nd attempt at the same repair and they have one more shot after this. That is unless it goes 30 days total for any repairs. We will be at 17 days Monday. It sucks as we really liked the car but they are just not well made.
Might want to call the dealer and see if the car had it's TSB done on the roof drain. Heard they get plugged easy which causes leaks. I have a 09 Jeep. Have some friends too with the soft top Liberty. They had a leak issue. Know some rag top Stang owners. Some have had leaks also. Carwash is the worst. But I've had my 2019 Atlas since July 2019. It's got 9950 miles on it as of today. 90% of that was HWY driving during trips and lots of different weather in the UP of mich, Boston, Gulf port MS. All over, rain, snow, ice. No leaks but even so, I had the TSB done when it went in for it's 1 year oil change. Not sure about the clunks. I've not had any problems with my car since I drove it off the lot. Guess I got one built on a Wednesday.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, there isn't a TSB for the 21 model year. It's still at the dealer, it will be 3 weeks tomorrow. 3 more total days and its lemon law time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might want to call the dealer and see if the car had it's TSB done on the roof drain. Heard they get plugged easy which causes leaks. I have a 09 Jeep. Have some friends too with the soft top Liberty. They had a leak issue. Know some rag top Stang owners. Some have had leaks also. Carwash is the worst. But I've had my 2019 Atlas since July 2019. It's got 9950 miles on it as of today. 90% of that was HWY driving during trips and lots of different weather in the UP of mich, Boston, Gulf port MS. All over, rain, snow, ice. No leaks but even so, I had the TSB done when it went in for it's 1 year oil change. Not sure about the clunks. I've not had any problems with my car since I drove it off the lot. Guess I got one built on a Wednesday.
So when was that TSB issued? I took my 2020 SEL Premium in a few months back for tire flaps and while it was in I asked the dealer if I needed to get anything done to the moonroof since a lot of people had complaints about leaking. he told me that the issue was fixed in early 2020 and my vin number showed up as one that had been updated. Was this only for the 2019’s. Now seeing people with 2021’s have the same problem. Make me unsure on whether or not this issues was actually fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when was that TSB issued? I took my 2020 SEL Premium in a few months back for tire flaps and while it was in I asked the dealer if I needed to get anything done to the moonroof since a lot of people had complaints about leaking. he told me that the issue was fixed in early 2020 and my vin number showed up as one that had been updated. Was this only for the 2019’s. Now seeing people with 2021’s have the same problem. Make me unsure on whether or not this issues was actually fixed.
Another update, lawyer has started the process for lemon law as of yesterday. 33 days out of service. VW customer care contacted me yesterday that they had my service records and would be contacting the service dept itsnat now. My VW carnet started going nuts with them opening and closing the doors, windows etc. Today they called and said its ready ( day before Thanksgiving so I'm skeptical). We have it back and will take it through a carwash tomorrow to see if it is indeed fixed. They had no updates for weeks but the repair order lists new pano frame, gaskets, and a few other rhings.

I can't believe this car isn't even 3 months old yet. That said, I enjoy the car and did miss it. We had an Infinit QX80 as a rental supplied via warranty but definitely like our Atlas more. One of the options for the Lemon law is we keep it, if repairs are proper and VW agrees to 10-20% MSRP given for depreciation. We may take that unless it breaks again. That alone would enable us to trade if we wanted and have a decent down payment. We could also take a new Atlas and have our financing and payments moved right to it. A 2021.5 wouldn't be a terrible option, unless of course this thing breaks again. It's 2020, how can we still have leaking pano roofs, broken sway bars and bad evaporative pumps from the factory?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got it back 2 days ago after 28 days. Going back this afternoon because the remote start stopped working via fob or app. Worked once, but now get error message in car net, no CEL, in driveway, full of gas. Tried all kinds of ways and combos of lock and unlock. The lights flash and it clicks like it is going to start. Last time it did this was 1.5 weeks into ownership and it was the evaporative pump. What a GD POS lemon law process is started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well got it back 2 days ago after 28 days. Going back this afternoon because the remote start stopped working via fob or app. Worked once, but now get error message in car net, no CEL, in driveway, full of gas. Tried all kinds of ways and combos of lock and unlock. The lights flash and it clicks like it is going to start. Last time it did this was 1.5 weeks into ownership and it was the evaporative pump. What a GD POS lemon law process is started.
I started having remote start issues this morning- will not work via key fob nor app. Doing the same yours is doing- full of gas, lights come on, but no start. The engine light comes on for a few seconds when I try to remote start and then goes away. I'd had some wonky issues with remote start through key fob and app before- with the key fob, I'd had the car a few weeks so I thought it was a one off kind of thing or I didn't do something properly. Once the app updated, my remote start worked fine, but today none of it is working. Trying to do some more research online before calling VW....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still waiting to take it in as the said they have no loaner or rental big enough for our family yet. I read codes just to see if there is a code with no CEL. Remote start won't work of there are any codes at all. Low and behold there is a code for the fuel system. Apparently not enough to trigger a CEL. Luckily it has been in the 60s and 70s but cold weather isn't far off, really need remote start then.
Screenshot_20201127-174809_ThinkDriver.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny I was told the same thing about my 2020 SEL Premium. But, like you, I’m concerned now as well since this is happening on the 2021’s. So many issues going on with these vehicles it scares me to drive it. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I got a good one. Lucky I purchased the 100K extended warranty as well. Let me know if you here anything new on your 2020 and the roof look issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After trying every day, the remote start started working. I scanned it and the code gone. As for the roof, after a month we got it back and the leak hasn't returned. They essentially replaced the whole pano frame and assembly. I did notice before that when I had it opened, the windscreen was soaking wet when it popped up, now its not wet when it pops up and it has been raining a lot. I did our first car wash since the fix so time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts