Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2019 Atlas with tow package and want to tow my 3,000 lb Casita Travel Trrailer. I have a Reese WDH with anti sway bar but I can't get a straight answer from the dealer as to whether a weight distribution hitch is needed (or allowed by VW). And I can't find a VW statement on the web or in my manual either. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have my manual (2018) in front of me right now to give the location, but VW does not allow use of a WDH. A WDH puts more torque into the vehicle frame which the unibody Atlas isn't designed for (supposedly).

I tow a 4900 lb trailer without issues. If you search through this forum, you will find lots of information on owner's experiences. I think you will not have any problem towing a 3000 lb trailer without a WDH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have my manual (2018) in front of me right now to give the location, but VW does not allow use of a WDH. A WDH puts more torque into the vehicle frame which the unibody Atlas isn't designed for (supposedly).

I tow a 4900 lb trailer without issues. If you search through this forum, you will find lots of information on owner's experiences. I think you will not have any problem towing a 3000 lb trailer without a WDH.
Thanks. I found that info finally. I've made the decisionto go to the drop hitch. :)
On another tow topic, do you use an anti sway bar?
And my Atlas drops a few inches when I out the Casita on the hitch. My Touerag didn't do that. Does your Atlas sag when putting on your trailer?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have towed mine mainly on flat terrain in the mid Atlantic coastal areas, so not too challenging. I plan to add an anti sway bar for extra piece of mind when in high winds or difficult conditions.

Mine also sags a bit under the tongue load. I have purchased but not yet installed some Firestone air lift bags for the rear springs:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Volkswagen/Atlas/2018/F4175.html?VehicleID=201886139
Others have mentioned those in other forums. I've been wondering if there is any downside to them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might be late to the party but definately a no to WDH. Even the manual says and unibody are not designed with WDH. You body would start to get out out wack which cause alignment issues.

I used it twice and I had front alignment issues. Luckily the shop did not ask me question whether I had WDH so they covered it under warranty.

The car does get aware that you have trailer and car will compensate for the trailer with it rear traction.

I installed this on my car

As my trailer is offroad edition I actually have a raised hitch reciever for it. With this hitchball, I rarely feel the jerks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might be late to the party but definately a no to WDH. Even the manual says and unibody are not designed with WDH. You body would start to get out out wack which cause alignment issues.

I used it twice and I had front alignment issues. Luckily the shop did not ask me question whether I had WDH so they covered it under warranty.

The car does get aware that you have trailer and car will compensate for the trailer with it rear traction.

I installed this on my car

As my trailer is offroad edition I actually have a raised hitch reciever for it. With this hitchball, I rarely feel the jerks.
Thanks! I decided to sell the WDH and bought a drop down hitch with a ball for an anti sway bar. I appreciate the info and affirming my decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a 2019 Atlas with tow package and want to tow my 3,000 lb Casita Travel Trrailer. I have a Reese WDH with anti sway bar but I can't get a straight answer from the dealer as to whether a weight distribution hitch is needed (or allowed by VW). And I can't find a VW statement on the web or in my manual either. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sway control is only needed if you don't have enough weight forward on the trailer. I have been trailering with a 4Runner 4WD 6 cyl. for 15 years and never needed one despite exceeding the 5,000 max. occasionally. What's needed is 12 to 15 % of the trailer weight on the hitch and that dictated air bags on the rear specially on the Atlas because it has much softer springs/shocks. Can the Atlas take that much weight that far from the rear axle?...I don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A weight distribution hitch on a Volkswagen is a very bad idea a weight distribution hitch forces the vehicle upwards and the trailer down to make them level. Putting stress on the unibody of the Volkswagen it does not have a regular frame like some Vehicles it has a unibody weight distribution is a bad idea all you need is a sway bar. I tow a 30 some 100 lb pop up with our Volkswagen Atlas 6 cylinder and have no problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
A weight distribution hitch on a Volkswagen is a very bad idea a weight distribution hitch forces the vehicle upwards and the trailer down to make them level. Putting stress on the unibody of the Volkswagen it does not have a regular frame like some Vehicles it has a unibody weight distribution is a bad idea all you need is a sway bar. I tow a 30 some 100 lb pop up with our Volkswagen Atlas 6 cylinder and have no problems
I wonder what's the difference in lbs between the normal down force applied on a hitch by a trailer's weight and that of the force applied by a LE set up....after all, the originating force is that of the trailer and both subject the hitch to up and down forces and use the rear axle as a pivot point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts