Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Our 2018 Atlas water pump let go today.... And I can't seem to find any info online about the replacement. (other than folks taking to the dealer) we are at 81,000Mi so Warranty is over- Its not that expensive at $150-170.00. Plus some coolant. I see its the same part as the Touraeg- but that's not a transverse install. I am worried there is not enough clearance to remove it without lowering an engine motor mount on the Atlas. Any Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
You can always at least ask the dealer if they will good will it...worth a call for sure. Water pumps have been a problem area.

I'd check with an independent Euro shop before I paid a dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
51 Posts
Hello-

Our 2018 Atlas water pump let go today.... And I can't seem to find any info online about the replacement. (other than folks taking to the dealer) we are at 81,000Mi so Warranty is over- Its not that expensive at $150-170.00. Plus some coolant. I see its the same part as the Touraeg- but that's not a transverse install. I am worried there is not enough clearance to remove it without lowering an engine motor mount on the Atlas. Any Thoughts?

View attachment 1552
Sorry to hear about the water pump failure, and would like to know your outcome for this. I'm also impressed about the 81,000 miles on the Atlas. Would like to hear about your maintenance schedule and repairs, if any, in acquiring these miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about the water pump failure, and would like to know your outcome for this. I'm also impressed about the 81,000 miles on the Atlas. Would like to hear about your maintenance schedule and repairs, if any, in acquiring these miles.
Hello-
I'll let you know what I figure out today- hopefully they will replace it- If not it should be no more than an hour or two job, By looking at it it appears that I'll have to loosen the Right motor mount and lower motor a couple inches to clear the pump on the strut tower.

As far as the Routine MX goes- I work on all my own vehicles- Nothing unusual- kept up on the oil changes, air filter, cabin air filter. Got a new set of tires around 50K, I changed Spark plugs at 60,000 Other than that...... It went back to the dealer for some front noisy strut issues around 20k, they replaced the struts and mounts. Its been a great car other than that...

Reactions: 2019 Atlas SEL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As a follow up- the dealer would not cover the replacement due the warranty being expired, And I did not have time to wait on them to repair it... so I ended up replacing the water pump last night. It was pretty straight forward- I had to unbolt and lower the Right side of the engine 3-4" (by removing the lower center mount- and unbolting the right engine mount) and then it was a piece of cake. About a 2 hour job start to finish- Including pressure washing all the mess the leak made. The only "special" tools needed are: Triple square socket- M6. (most VW mechanics already own them)
The old pump was shot- the bearing failed, it was VERY sloppy- and that must have taken the internal seal out. The old pump was a -K I installed the revised "M" pump. Total cost for Pump and 2 gallons G13 at the dealer was about $225.00.

Here is what the motor looked like prior to the repair, the water pump pulley is top Left:

Old Pump:

Right side of engine lowered- Pump Removed:

New pump installed:

As a side note- Those who live up north..... FWIW...Behind the fender liner is a serious collection of Debris- I could see salt getting trapped here and causing serious rust issues:

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
51 Posts
Good work and nice write up Kevin. Glad it went as smooth as it did. Thanks for this follow up and the maintenance info too. Were you going the full 10k miles on the oil changes?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good for you! I bet you saved a bundle doing your own work and did the job right. Great post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work and nice write up Kevin. Glad it went as smooth as it did. Thanks for this follow up and the maintenance info too. Were you going the full 10k miles on the oil changes?
Honestly- I have jus been changing the oil when the service indicator comes on- About 8-10K. The dealer changed the oil the first four times- I have done the last 4-5 Rounds. The oil looks good still- zero metal or sludge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts