Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Couple questions in regards to Warranty Information...

-Does anyone know what the standard warranty was/is for the Atlas?
-I am looking at getting a pre-owned, so I'm assuming the original warranty (whatever it was) would be "transferred" to me? -Should I consider an "extended warranty"?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
So as long as you are buying an '18 or '19 you will get the transferable 6 year 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty (whatever is left of it).
What I don't know, is how this affects CPO cars. I know you will still get what I said above, but historically actual CPO (not just used) cars get a bit of an extension to the existing warranty.
As for aftermarket extend warranties thy are literally just another form of insurance. I have had two.
One paid for itself, the other (which I currently have on my 2015 GTI) kicked in 2 years ago and has I think just one year to go and I have not used it....
It is a crap chute lol.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
18-19 have the 6 year/72K bumper to bumper. There are always stipulations for certain things so no, you aren't getting brake pads under warranty at 2 years etc. Manufacturer's warranty transfers with the vehicle. I never buy extended/third-party warranties on anything and have never had issues where I wish I had. Save the money vs. paying up front for the unlikely event that you will ever use the warranty for more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok got it. So if I buy a pre-owned (certified or not), I can go to any VW dealership to have that warrenty repair work done as long as it falls within the 6 year/72K? Or would I have to go to the dealer I purchase from? (I may purchase out of state, hence this question) Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can take it to ANY VW Dealership (y)

When I was signing out on my Atlas, The Business Manager said don't be offended but I have to ask if you'd like a Service Contract ?
I declined and he was nice and understood. I had a ESP on my '17 Jetta and it was easy to cancel it when I got the Atlas.

My intentions were keeping the Jetta longer, but vehicle needs changed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So as long as you are buying an '18 or '19 you will get the transferable 6 year 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty (whatever is left of it).
What I don't know, is how this affects CPO cars. I know you will still get what I said above, but historically actual CPO (not just used) cars get a bit of an extension to the existing warranty.
As for aftermarket extend warranties thy are literally just another form of insurance. I have had two.
One paid for itself, the other (which I currently have on my 2015 GTI) kicked in 2 years ago and has I think just one year to go and I have not used it....
It is a crap chute lol.
When I bought my 19 used it came with the balance of the 6/72 warranty. CPO units came with a 1yr 12k mile extension to that (7/84).

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Ok got it. So if I buy a pre-owned (certified or not), I can go to any VW dealership to have that warrenty repair work done as long as it falls within the 6 year/72K? Or would I have to go to the dealer I purchase from? (I may purchase out of state, hence this question) Thanks!
Correct, just like when you buy new - any VW dealer can service your car for warranty work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I bought my 19 used it came with the balance of the 6/72 warranty. CPO units came with a 1yr 12k mile extension to that (7/84).
Do you have to go to the dealer you purchased from for the CPO extension? (ie. once the original warranty expires) OR is that 7 month/84K miles good at any VW Dealership?

·
Registered
68 Posts
cpo is where dealer pays vw for the warranty so it can be used at any dealer. just got a 18 couple weeks ago and went in figuring standard 3/36 warranty with another year left but was pleasantly surprised it came with 6yr/72k b2b warranty...still have over 4 years left so its more than most new cars lol.... finance mgr tried to sell a 1yr extension for like over 2k which i politely declined. much better to save the money and use it toward any repairs if needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm on my forth VW. 81, 84 Jetta. 2013 Passat TDi now 2019 Atlas. Plan on keeping it for a long time. We got the 12/150k warranty. And we also bought the complete service package 6 years 70,000 MI. I sleep better at night knowing that. 😒

1 - 11 of 11 Posts