Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have the Atlas that slots between the Tiguan and Touareg, we are being introduced to the T-Roc (unofficial name) that will be slotting under the Tiguan. Technically we've seen it before as a concept in 2014, but they're bringing the production model out.

It's going to be coming as a small crossover, that will likely be offered with a removable roof. Seeing as that is starting to become a trend of having a removable roof, it seems highly likely.

It'll be riding on the MQB Platform as well. Powertrain should be following up with a 1.8L Turbo producing approximately 170hp and 200lb-ft of torque. Fwd and DCT will come standard. AWD will be an option for extra cost, of course.

US sales are scheduled to start early next year, but apparently, Europe will be seeing it towards the ending of this year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks like this could be the first of many VW CUV's to usher in the era of coupe like design which i'm all for.

Digging more into information on it, this is shaping up to be VW's version of the Evoque. For reference:

·
Registered
70 Posts
At about half the price. The T-Roc is expected to come out with a price of around £19k. Seems like it has some real nice tech in it as well. Pulled this from C&D
T-ROC occupants can look forward to a highly digital experience. There are no fewer than three screens facing the driver, including a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, a removable touch-screen tablet that serves as the main infotainment screen, and finally, an over-the-top AMOLED (active matrix organic LED) display for the climate-control system. Users bent on viewing and recording what’s going on outside the vehicle can access the feeds from the front and rear cameras when toggled in Off-Road mode, which also calls up a 50-50 torque split for the all-wheel-drive system and activates hill descent control, hill start assist, and softer throttle and transmission settings. Other modes include Street, in which the T-ROC behaves like an average, front-drive-based crossover, and Snow, which calls up appropriate settings for slick road surfaces.
Volkswagen T-ROC Concept ? News ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
242 Posts
Found out BMW will be coming out with an X2, which would compete with this to some extend. Yet another model that helps to confirm the fact how much car makers are loving these CUV/Crossover segments. VW just better make sure they can offer enough features and value because BMW, Mercedes and even Jaguar can scoop up a good chunk of the market, and if its not them its brands like Kia, Lexus and Infiniti.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm sure they'll be alright. Wouldn't be too worried as they've always had same segment vehicles going against each other in the past. But this time around, I'm pretty sure they'll bring it out with some great value and make it real appealing. I seen the new Tiguan photos and even that looks pretty darn sweet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Touareg looks like it has a fair bit of Atlas styling going on with it. The Tiguan does as well, but I don't think it's as similar... if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay yes. The Touareg does look more like the Atlas than the Tiguan does, but I think they'll do very well with this redesign. Looks so much more sophisticated and luxury.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The changes will be incremental at best. Just look at how VW has progressed with design recently... it's not nearly as much as other car makers.
But i'm not complaining because its that sort of design language they have which I like a lot, not always a good idea to change something that's working.

What exact design features would you guys like to see trickle down from the concept?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really like the hood scoops on it, but that I'm almost certain won't make it to a production model as they aren't high performance SUVs so there really is no need at all for it. Other than that, I like the design of the upper grill. Utilizing that instead of regular horizontal slats would make a nice difference to the front end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to really hope that they have some knobs in there... I'm all for a super clean all digital layout but knobs are still a necessary creature comfort for me. That HVAC system looks to be more inconveniencing than doing any good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Didn't know what I was thinking, if you look at the grill of the concept, it'll end up looking like what the Atlas has going on at the moment, because the Atlas grill looks like a toned down version of what the concept has going on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts