Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am not very knowledgable on rims but did some research and was wondering if someone could help.

I currently have oem 20" rims on my 2019 Atlas. They have 255/50/20R tires with a 5x112mm bolt pattern and 34mm off set.

I am looking to buy 245/60/18R winter tires (Atlas approved size from my understanding). I have been on the lookout for rims and have someone in my area selling 18" rims from there 2015 Jetta. The rims are 5x112mm bolt pattern however the offset is 40mm.

Do you think these will fit on my winter tires? The offset is larger by 6mm but I understand that means the rim has more room behind it than the current atlas rims...that should be ok...right?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is actually 6mm LESS room. The higher the offset, the more sunk in the wheel will be.
The inner lip of the wheel will be closer to suspension components and the spokes will be closer to braking components.
6mm is obviously not very much so I doubt you will have any issues but it is always good to test fit if possible...just to make sure everything clears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is actually 6mm LESS room. The higher the offset, the more sunk in the wheel will be.
The inner lip of the wheel will be closer to suspension components and the spokes will be closer to braking components.
6mm is obviously not very much so I doubt you will have any issues but it is always good to test fit if possible...just to make sure everything clears.
Thank you. I have only been reading the opposite. Positive offset from what I understand is moving the wheel "design" is moving more towards the outside/front of the tire, leaving more room behind it. Negative offset means it is working back into the inside of the tire. Are you sure this rim does not have 6mm of more space behind the wheel design?

Edit. Sorry. I think I understand what you mean. Because the wheels are more forward, more of the tire will be inside.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts