Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the local VW dealer do my first 10K service. I was surprised that they used Castrol synthetic oil. So much for touting the benefits of Vw"s private label 502.00, when the dealer doesn't even use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the local VW dealer do my first 10K service. I was surprised that they used Castrol synthetic oil. So much for touting the benefits of Vw"s private label 502.00, when the dealer doesn't even use it.
Just had my 10K service done, also. Instead of 502 or 504 they used 60G-E52-545-SO motor oil. Have no idea what brand that is, but it appears to be synthetic oil. This is not an approved oil according to the Owners Manual released as of 8-31-2018.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
502 is the operative word - oil with 502 is 502, you only need to worry about the approval, not the brand or viscosity. BTW, Castrol was the factory VW fill until ttis year, not their oil is Mobil.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Just had my 10K service done, also. Instead of 502 or 504 they used 60G-E52-545-SO motor oil. Have no idea what brand that is, but it appears to be synthetic oil. This is not an approved oil according to the Owners Manual released as of 8-31-2018.
I believe that is just the 502 5W40 - just ask them to show it you next time.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
that m1 is pretty expensive though at $42 / 6 qt...maybe its cheaper in the warehouse.

Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 1-Quart/6-Pack (costco.com)
Walmart regularly has the 5 qt jugs on sale ("Rollback") for $23 and you can usually find a rebate. I paid $37 for 6 qts at Costco in the store. I just don't think that's a lot for a oil change with good oil in 2020. If you really want to pinch it buy the Liquimoly kit at FCP Euro (has everything) for about $60 then on your next one, return it and get a full refund (this is what I do on my Golf) using their 100% lifetime replacement guarantee (yes...this is real and yes, they are ok with it...). Go crazy and use Paypal and they will refund your return shipping so really free! Either way, ~$50 for an oil change 2x a year isn't really a big deal to me. A video on my channel on how to do it:

How to return used oil to FCP Euro for a refund - YouTube

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out to my car this morning to make sure the dealer put in all the bolts, etc. and checked the oil level. The level is below the safe operating zone by about a half quart. Also, my Atlas was at the same level when I took delivery this past February. The dealer invoice reads they put in 6 quarts. I am starting to think about starting to change my own oil again. Also, I believe 10K miles is too long between oil changes and I don't think $40 bucks is that expensive and a good preventative maintenance thing to do. I used to change conventional oil at 3K and switched to 5K when I went to full synthetic. I have never had engine issues and I usually drive my vehicles to about 150k before I trade them in.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
51 Posts
I agree Barry, on both the satisfaction of knowing it's done right by DIY, as well as the 10K being a little too long. I have to admit the Atlas oil change process is the most involved of any vehicle I've owned, but I just plan for this each time and have acquired the needed tools to make it go as smooth as possible. On my 6th oil change, and 6 qts has always been right on, or a touch higher on the midway mark on the dipstick. Still not sure why this varies so much as has been reported by many of us.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
It seems like the oil volume is an issue for some and some seem to take an additional qt to get it up to the top of the stippled area of the dipstick. I haven't DIY'd mine yet but will come January so will report my findings w/r to fill volume. Plenty of used oil analysis have been done to show that 10K is fine on these vehicles but I don't disagree - $50 2x a year to cut that back isn't a big deal. Ours get driven about 10K/year so 2 a year at 5-6K seems about right. The issue on the 3.6 is fuel dilution and the subsequent drop in viscosity but mine don't look bad/very similar to the drop I see on my other VW. TBN will stay above 1 out to 10K no problem and you can see around 6K I still have over 4 for TBN. Here are my data if anyone is interested. Maybe I'll do a 10K at some point just to see how it looks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe that is just the 502 5W40 - just ask them to show it you next time.
I did contact my VW dealer about the oil they installed, listed as 60G-E52-545-SO. They said it was a bulk oil from a supplier that Volkswagen has approved for their vehicles, equivalent to the 502.. They also said that the 2019 Atlas V6 now uses 0w30, as opposed to 5w30 from 2018. I was assured that this oil meets the requirements to satisfy the VW warranty.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
I did contact my VW dealer about the oil they installed, listed as 60G-E52-545-SO. They said it was a bulk oil from a supplier that Volkswagen has approved for their vehicles, equivalent to the 502.. They also said that the 2019 Atlas V6 now uses 0w30, as opposed to 5w30 from 2018. I was assured that this oil meets the requirements to satisfy the VW warranty.
Good deal. The strangeness with the 0W30 thing is that the approvals trump all with Euro cars so any oil having the 502 00 approval is suitable whether it's 0W30, 0W40, or 5W40 per VW's recommended approval. 0W30 502 is v. hard (as is 5W30) to find but if your can take an oil with the 504 00 approval it's somewhat common. Here is the list of oils by approval:

·
Registered
2019 Atlas S 4Motion VR6
51 Posts
Thanks for the oil list KarstGeo. This is a good reference to keep filed away. Some brands of oil I've never heard of, never realized there were so many -LOL! Look forward to hearing what it takes for your fill volume. The Blackstone report is an interesting read as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for making the DIY oil change process a little easier, I would consider taking a large hole saw and cutting a hole in the plastic shield. My Toyota 4Runner had an oval access panel which eliminated all this BS. It is very apparent that the plastic shield was put there to discourage owners from changing their own oil and it probably has worked to a great extent.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
I thought they would use Luiqimoly but thats probably too expensive to use lol
No reason to - the approval is the approval so a Castrol 502 is going to be effectively the same as a Mobil 1 or Liquimoly. There are slight variations but the approval is nice b/c you know it will do what it needs to do.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Thanks for the oil list KarstGeo. This is a good reference to keep filed away. Some brands of oil I've never heard of, never realized there were so many -LOL! Look forward to hearing what it takes for your fill volume. The Blackstone report is an interesting read as well.
No problem - sharing the knowledge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts