Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this but I thought it would get more traffic here.

So, I had a little disagreement happen yesterday at my dealer concerning my VW Care plus package contract. My in-service date was July 15, 2019. I've done the first two services already because of time in service, not miles. I had the car yelling at me for an oil change when it had less than 2k miles on the previous change so I blew it off till I put at least 10 miles on it but... So let's skip to the service that I had done yesterday.
Car had 23000 miles on it as it arrived at the dealer for its 3rd oil change (wife took it in). The car has been in service for just south of 42 months. The dealer performs the 40k mile service, not the 30 that it was scheduled for. Did not think anything about it till I view the invoice last night. I'm looking over the maintenance contract(s) that the dealer gave me when I bought the car. I'm kind of confused if I screwed up or if the dealer isn't being reasonable. Though the car has 23000 miles on it, it's 5+ months past the 36k mile mark, should they have done the paid-for 30k mile service and not jumped ahead and done the 40K mile service?

In the contract is does say the 30k mile service is performed at 30k miles or 36 months, whichever occurs first. The 40k mile service is at 40/48. Whichever occurs first. Being more towards the 30 vs the 40, I think they should have done the 30k mile service. But opted to do the 40 instead though I'm nowhere near the 48 months or 40k miles. I'm kinda feeling I got taken but has anyone had this experience?

2019 VW Atlas SEL P

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
1) the oil cahnge and service reminders need to be reset each time, if not, they will just go off at the allotted time/mileage. You can reset it yourself - owner's manual/YouTube/Google.

2) don't get hung up on these scheduled maintenance things....the vehicle's maintenance is v. simple. Per the manual (you can always do what you want but VW will likely follow the manual on this contract you bought). This is what the manual says for my 2018 with the 3.6 VR6. The 2.0 is the same but plugs should be at 40K. Worry about what specifically was done, not the mileage.

Maint. Schedule
every 1 years (or 10K)oil/filter change
every 2 years (or 20K)cabin filter
every 3 years (then every 2 years)brake fluid, sunroof track grease (depending on type), 4Motion clutch fluid
every 6 years (or 60K)spark plugs, air filter
every 80Ktranny fluid

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) the oil cahnge and service reminders need to be reset each time, if not, they will just go off at the allotted time/mileage. You can reset it yourself - owner's manual/YouTube/Google.

2) don't get hung up on these scheduled maintenance things....the vehicle's maintenance is v. simple. Per the manual (you can always do what you want but VW will likely follow the manual on this contract you bought). This is what the manual says for my 2018 with the 3.6 VR6. The 2.0 is the same but plugs should be at 40K. Worry about what specifically was done, not the mileage.

Maint. Schedule
every 1 years (or 10K)oil/filter change
every 2 years (or 20K)cabin filter
every 3 years (then every 2 years)brake fluid, sunroof track grease (depending on type), 4Motion clutch fluid
every 6 years (or 60K)spark plugs, air filter
every 80Ktranny fluid
My dealer offered to split the cost of the brake fluid flush/change and the AWD fluid change (I assume that's like the 4x4 service I get on my Jeep every 5 years. I still have a hard time with all of a sudden, "experts" recommending changing the brake fluid after 2 years after the initial 3-year change out. My Jeep is 5 years and it sees WAY MORE harsh conditions. I bought my Jeep 14 years ago next month, Feb, and though I've changed the brakes since then, I've had my fluid changed around 2 or 3 times that I can remember. If manufactures are just now worried about moisture every 2 years, sounds like they need to stream line the process so it's cheaper and quicker to flush the fluid and refill.

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
My dealer offered to split the cost of the brake fluid flush/change and the AWD fluid change (I assume that's like the 4x4 service I get on my Jeep every 5 years. I still have a hard time with all of a sudden, "experts" recommending changing the brake fluid after 2 years after the initial 3-year change out. My Jeep is 5 years and it sees WAY MORE harsh conditions. I bought my Jeep 14 years ago next month, Feb, and though I've changed the brakes since then, I've had my fluid changed around 2 or 3 times that I can remember. If manufactures are just now worried about moisture every 2 years, sounds like they need to stream line the process so it's cheaper and quicker to flush the fluid and refill.
Why does the dealer want to split the cost? They owe you whatever is listed in the manual for the contract period they offered it for. The awd fluid...it's a Haldex-based system so a pump pumps hydraulic oil into a clutch pack to engage the rear wheels. The clutches can contaminate the fluid and that's why it needs to be serviced. There is a screen on the pump that should be cleaned out but it's likely the dealer won't do it..this can get gooped up with clutch debris. I've DIY'd mine on the Altas and Sportwagen (exactly the same) several times. The brake fluid at 2-3 years is pretty much industry standard for any make/model at this point. You can always just get the cheap test strips on Amazon and test it yourself...it's probably fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts