Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching trailers to tow with my 2021.5 v6 Atlas with tow package. The Atlas can tow 5,000 lbs and support 500 lbs tongue weight. There is a ton of trailers that fall under those numbers. So I applied a number of filters to my search. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

First, 5,000 and 500 lbs is the MAX. So, you CANNOT tow a trailer that weights 5,000 lbs and puts 500 lbs on your tongue off the lot.

On the trailer weight, there are two numbers you need to look at - dry weight (how much the trailer weighs unloaded with none of your personal stuff in it, empty tanks, etc.) and GVWR or the max loaded weight, which includes the stuff you could carry.

You will carry stuff. Clothes, plates, groceries, etc. How much stuff depends on you, but you will carry stuff. So you need to choose a trailer with a dry weight under 5,000 lbs, with enough space to carry your stuff. For me, I am looking at being able to carry at least 1,000 lbs of stuff. Yes, I like to live it large. So the trailer's dry weight needs to be 4,000 lbs or less. When I put all my stuff in it, then it will weigh closer to 5,000 lbs.

I am not as concerned with GVWR, as I can manage my load. For example, a trailer with a dry weight of 4,000 lbs that can carry 2,000 lbs will have a GVWR of 6,000lbs. That is the max is COULD weigh. You CAN carry 2,000 lbs on it, but it doesn't mean you have to. You will need to weigh your trailer at a CAT scale to make sure you do not exceed 5,000 lb max weight towing capacity of your VW Atlas. You are going to have to weigh it anyway, so the max carrying capacity doesn't really matter much. You will need to load it smartly and not exceed any of the limits, either on the trailer or the Atlas.

Tongue weight has a similar issue. Most trailers posted tongue weight does not include propane or batteries (I confirmed this with Forest River, other manufacturers may be different). So a trailer that says it has a 500 lb tongue weight will end up having 600 lbs or more when you put a couple of propane tanks, a couple of batteries, and if you stuff that forward storage compartment full of your stuff. So I looked at trailers with less than 400 lbs of tongue weight.

I also eliminated trailers with sideways beds (I hate those) and with tubs (seriously, who uses a bathtub in a small trailer?). Showers only. I also eliminated a couple of trailers that looked kinda funky. Don't ask me to explain.

So, without further ado, here it is.

Surveyor Legend 19RBLE | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 345, max weight under 5,000 lbs. This is the perfect Atlas trailer.

Ibex 19QBS | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 395, max weight under 4,800 lbs. Another good choice.

No Boundaries NB19.5 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 365. max weight around 4,800. Another good choice.

r-pod RP-196 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 361, max weight of around 4,800. Another good choice.

Salem FSX 167RBK | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 350, max weight under 4,000. The lightest one of the bunch.

And there you have it. These are the ones I am looking at. I hope this list helps somebody out there. Happy camping!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just my two cents from the RVing side of things, but go for anything with a slide over something without. We have done both and sadly I couldn't even do an Airstream (well other than the few they made with a slide) because of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been researching trailers to tow with my 2021.5 v6 Atlas with tow package. The Atlas can tow 5,000 lbs and support 500 lbs tongue weight. There is a ton of trailers that fall under those numbers. So I applied a number of filters to my search. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

First, 5,000 and 500 lbs is the MAX. So, you CANNOT tow a trailer that weights 5,000 lbs and puts 500 lbs on your tongue off the lot.

On the trailer weight, there are two numbers you need to look at - dry weight (how much the trailer weighs unloaded with none of your personal stuff in it, empty tanks, etc.) and GVWR or the max loaded weight, which includes the stuff you could carry.

You will carry stuff. Clothes, plates, groceries, etc. How much stuff depends on you, but you will carry stuff. So you need to choose a trailer with a dry weight under 5,000 lbs, with enough space to carry your stuff. For me, I am looking at being able to carry at least 1,000 lbs of stuff. Yes, I like to live it large. So the trailer's dry weight needs to be 4,000 lbs or less. When I put all my stuff in it, then it will weigh closer to 5,000 lbs.

I am not as concerned with GVWR, as I can manage my load. For example, a trailer with a dry weight of 4,000 lbs that can carry 2,000 lbs will have a GVWR of 6,000lbs. That is the max is COULD weigh. You CAN carry 2,000 lbs on it, but it doesn't mean you have to. You will need to weigh your trailer at a CAT scale to make sure you do not exceed 5,000 lb max weight towing capacity of your VW Atlas. You are going to have to weigh it anyway, so the max carrying capacity doesn't really matter much. You will need to load it smartly and not exceed any of the limits, either on the trailer or the Atlas.

Tongue weight has a similar issue. Most trailers posted tongue weight does not include propane or batteries (I confirmed this with Forest River, other manufacturers may be different). So a trailer that says it has a 500 lb tongue weight will end up having 600 lbs or more when you put a couple of propane tanks, a couple of batteries, and if you stuff that forward storage compartment full of your stuff. So I looked at trailers with less than 400 lbs of tongue weight.

I also eliminated trailers with sideways beds (I hate those) and with tubs (seriously, who uses a bathtub in a small trailer?). Showers only. I also eliminated a couple of trailers that looked kinda funky. Don't ask me to explain.

Surveyor Legend 19RBLE | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 345, max weight under 5,000 lbs. This is the perfect Atlas trailer.

Ibex 19QBS | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 395, max weight under 4,800 lbs. Another good choice.

No Boundaries NB19.5 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 365. max weight around 4,800. Another good choice.

r-pod RP-196 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 361, max weight of around 4,800. Another good choice.

Salem FSX 167RBK | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com) - tongue weight of 350, max weight under 4,000. The lightest one of the bunch.

And there you have it. These are the ones I am looking at. I hope this list helps somebody out there. Happy camping!!!
I have a 19.7 no boundaries and it tows fine. I put the Firestone air bags on the Atlas and use a friction anti sway bar.
Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks so much! This was super helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts