Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering picking up a new SUV and had previously owned a Toyota Highlander that was a great vehicle all around but just not that "sexy". We were waiting for the new Highlander to be released in 2020 to check it out but decided to test drive an Atlas since we liked the interior room, styling and know VW products fairly well (owned 4 VWs,5 Audi's and 2 Porsche). We test drove a new VW Atlas Highline and when turning a corner a large amount of water started leaking from the upper console onto my right leg as the driver. This shocked myself, my wife, and the salesman. This would be a major concern for me given the leak obviously came from the sunroof and ran forward inside and dripped down to the driver seat when turning right. Over time I would suspect this will stain the upper console, possible ruin some of the electronics in there such as sunroof operation and lighting and turn in mold.
I liked the ride and handling of the Atlas but this issue is something that seriously turned me off. I'd hate to have this thing for years dealing with a leaking roof, mold and staining.Even if the dealer can correct this, I'd be concerned this would recur at any time.
Any else had this issue? Any thoughts on other similar size SUVs, similar price that are more problem free? I expect to keep this vehicle 10+ years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There isn't a manufacturer out there that doesn't produce a bad vehicle from time to time. Leaking sunroofs are not a known issue with the atlas that I've heard of. Coolant leaks, there have been reports of...but not sunroofs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Burky :smile2:
I'm thinking that the sunroof might have been slightly open when water hit it
I've always prepared myself for a big surprise when turning on the power
of any vehicle on a dealers lot, more so on show floor units.

I've had mine since September and it's had five hand bath's no issues :wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There isn't a manufacturer out there that doesn't produce a bad vehicle from time to time. Leaking sunroofs are not a known issue with the atlas that I've heard of. Coolant leaks, there have been reports of...but not sunroofs.
There are other posts that seem to indicate this has occurred on numerous occasions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had my Atlas in for first major service. The did the recall for sunroof drains at the same time. Looks to be code 60E2. I have not received notice of the recall yet. My sunroof is a rarely used feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts