Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

VW Atlas SEL Premium - Recall related to brakes?!

14K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Michelle McGovern 
#1 ·
I was at the VW dealer yesterday to test drive the SEL Premium, for which I had taken an appointment 3 days ago. On the day of the test drive, before heading out I confirmed over SMS from the sales representative that they do have a SEL premium. After positive confirmation I drove to the dealership only to be told that they cannot let me test drive the SEL Premium! :surprise:

Reason being: they had received a recall on both of the SEL premiums they had! I inquired more into the details of the recall and they said it has something got to do with the brakes. It definitely had to be serious that they couldn't let me drive it at all. The technician also mentioned that not all SEL Premiums had the issue, it was only with select few.

Q. Any owners received any recalls related to the brakes? Or probably it was something else and they just bluffed to me.

P.S: Since I had already driven the V6 atlas in a different trim and all I wanted to do was test out things like the Digital cockpit, fender audio and a few other details that are part of the premium, I did take a look at vehicle they had :grin2:. But mind you, they didn't even get the car near to the showroom, I walked for 10mins to the back of the stock yard where the atlases were parked and all I was allowed was to start the engine.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to know Kenay, you have no issues. How do you like the car so far?

I spoke to the sales manager at the dealership yesterday. He said they have 5 SEL Premiums that have the recall on them and have been locked up lying dead on the lot.
He mentioned other trims are affected too.
Right now VW is yet to diagnose the issue, then find a solution, followed by repair procedures, parts distribution etc., So no ETA when those premiums will be available.

He did have 1 SEL Premium that wasn't affected, however that doesn't work for me as it has 2nd row captains chairs.

That obviously means the issue is not with all the vehicles.

#5 ·
Took a test ride yesterday on a SEL Premium, I ask if there were any issues with tranny, brakes, etc. and he stated nothing. Did see they have a button for turning off the on/off engine feature.
Seemed to have plenty of pick up for me getting on the highway. The HP rating is when using Premium fuel & not regular fuel.
I want to wait till the 2019 Atlas is released for sale and was told sometime in August.

#8 ·
Recall in progress

Got my new (4 weeks or so) Atlas SEL towed in after rather impolite call from VW that they want to tow me in immediately and that I am strongly recommended not to drive it, explaining that there is a safety related brake issue.:frown2: Got give a rental car.

At the dealership nobody could tell me what the issue really is, when it might be fixed, when they will start working on my Atlas or even when they might be able to give me more details. I have no idea when I will get my Atlas back.

#9 ·
Ditto in San Antonio

Got my new (4 weeks or so) Atlas SEL towed in after rather impolite call from VW that they want to tow me in immediately and that I am strongly recommended not to drive it, explaining that there is a safety related brake issue.:frown2: Got give a rental car.

At the dealership nobody could tell me what the issue really is, when it might be fixed, when they will start working on my Atlas or even when they might be able to give me more details. I have no idea when I will get my Atlas back.
I also got my Atlas four weeks ago and last I received a call last Friday from VW in which they told me not to drive the car, and that they will send a tow truck to pick it up. They loaned me a very small car (Nissan Versa Note) for a week. At the beginning, I did not complained because I thought it was for a few days, but now I find out they don't have a solution to the problem yet. lets see what happen next week.

#10 ·
I bought my Atlas SEL premium late in the day on May 24th and I had it 3 weeks when I was called on June 15th due to the recall. They towed it on a flatbed truck that same day and got me into a rental car that day as well. They have been very good so far about making sure I'm in a comparable rental car as far as features. Finding an SUV rental has been a problem though. But so far I've been very happy with that aspect of this ordeal but it's been an ordeal because I've been switched around in Rental Vehicles just trying to get one that's something I wish to drive that's comparable or at least as nice. I'm on my second one already and will be switching to the third tomorrow. What I am not happy about is the fact that they have no idea when it will be done and last I heard they said it could be the third quarter which means at least September before it is fixed. In my opinion, I think the 6-year warranty should be extended by however long they have it. We typically don't put a lot of miles on our cars so I know we'll be under the mileage on the bumper to bumper warranty but this is going to put a lot of time out of having the car to use the warranty if anything comes up once it's repaired and returned to us. One of the reasons I also bought the car besides liking it was for the fact that it had a six-year/72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so I want to get every bit of my 6 years of warranty. How does everybody else feel about that? Has anybody asked about that? I plan to ask but I just have not been able to yet. It's just really frustrating because I haven't even made my first payment yet and I don't have the car to even drive and enjoy. This is the first time I've ever bought a brand new car as I've always bought used before and it's putting a sour taste in my mouth. Several of my friends have said you ought to just tell him to keep it and give you your money back but I do really love the car and I really don't want to do that.

#12 ·
Just took delivery on our SEL Prem. this past weekend after waiting over a month for it to ship from TN. I just put the VIN # in the NHTSA website and no recalls came up, although if this is a recent recall the info. may not be in the system yet. The dealer didn't mention anything when we picked it up, although it was delayed over a month in shipping from TN.

#14 ·
The different stories of brake issues has me a little concerned. I am leasing a 2018 SEL Premium edition with black rims. I searched for this car and after several dealerships, found what I was looking for. The only issue I have had of yet is due to the collision monitoring. It goes off if you are going down a hill such as a driveway, which has caused my car to stop dead in the middle of the road. As with what some have mentioned with regards to the brake issues, the dealership says they do not know of any other cars having this issue and could not find anything wrong with my car. I have since found multiple people on this site with the same issue. I have sent a complaint to the NHTSA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.