Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Today I have been to a dealership to finalize on the Atlas
The question here, is it worth purchase?
Is VW ATLAS 2021 V6 reliable?
What is wrong with VW Atlas?

Need your help..

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
Hello,
Today I have been to a dealership to finalize on the Atlas
The question here, is it worth purchase?
Is VW ATLAS 2021 V6 reliable?
What is wrong with VW Atlas?

Need your help..
My advice to you on post #1? Spend the time searching this forum, the Atlas forum over on vwvortex, or join the Atlas groups on Facebook. You will find all the info you could ever want. If you are finalizing a deal today and asking on a forum if you should buy it, I question why you didn't do this before today.

My opinion? Yes, it s nice vehicle and worth the buy if it fits your needs. Do any Atlases have issues? Sure...just like any new vehicle will. Will you find a bazillion online posts about issues and crybaby owners losing their minds? Of course....again...like any other vehicle. Define reliable. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 VW Cross Sport SEL
6 Posts
While I cannot speak for the 2021 model I can tell you that I love my 2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL. I have had some issues with CarNet that took a while to correct, the rear left door needed adjustment and the radar needed adjustment. But all were minor in my opinion and I have a great dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Leased my 2019 SE V6 4Motion and glad I did. I'll return it in April after 39 months and many issues. If you're serious about whether there are a lot of issues, check Consumer Reports. VW ranks pretty low on reliability. I knew that going in and that's one reason I leased rather than bought. While I love the way it drives, I think I'll move on to more reliable makes like Honda. Toyota, Mazda, or Subaru. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like KarstGeo said, Define reliable. Every vehicle I have owned I have had people tell me in person (and read online) how AWFUL that vehicle is. but I have also had people brag about how good the same vehicle is... Everyone's experience is different.
We bought a 2018 with 50k miles. Currently it has 67k miles on it. It obviously had a warranty when we bought it and I'm grateful for that. We had a number of issues right after we bought it that seemed a bit soon? The worst thing that happened for us was almost being left stranded due to a faulty battery almost not letting the start/stop system restart. (I think they had battery issues for the '18 and '19?) And the actual nearly being stranded part was something I could have avoided had I been a bit quicker to just fix what I knew to be a bad battery! However, overall I would say the Atlas for us has been uber reliable... would I buy again? Yes! At this point absolutely! were there issues? Yes, a few! But for us the benefits of space and features far outweighed the few relatively small issues we had!
My main recommendation to people at this point is to make sure you buy one with a warranty and you are obviously doing just that with buying new so I don't think you'll go wrong with this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a new owner of a "21.5 Atlas SE Rline with the v6. Not a lot of miles on this, yet I had the 2.0l Turbo in a Tiguan before this.

The V6 has more power and no turbo lag. The Tiguan in eco mode had annoying turbo lag when driving around town and I didn't like it when I need to take a left turn thru traffic. I kept in Normal usually for driving around time.

The ECO mode was great on the highway. Commuting I was getting nearly 28 mpg.

The Sport mode with the Turbo is just fun!

While I don't have many miles on this V6 I have towed a trailer, box type with camping gear for a Scout troop, and will say it response to a 1500 lbs trailer pull without an issue, even up steep fire roads.

As another stated, reliable needs to be defined. And you will get varying opinions on anything. I had a '08 Mazda 3 for 10 years, one recall for a minor issue and only normal maintenance. Other call them lemons. YMMV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like KarstGeo said, Define reliable.
Bingo. My definition is, a reliable car won't leave you stranded. I still drive my 2009 Jeep Liberty (but it's lifted, large tires, sliders, skids, etc). If you go out to your driveway, or in the parking lot late one night, turn the key and nothing. Or you are on a trip and halfway up a mountain, it dies, that's not very reliable. I would drive my 09 Jeep from coast to coast if I had to and only bitch about how much fuel I'm burning. Not the tire noise. Not the "rough" ride.

But here we are. I also have a 2011 T&C Minivan and a 2019 VW Atlas. I use the Atlas for trips because it's big, bulky, and quiet. Fun to drive? Clearly, anyone who drives one of these things and says it's fun to drive has never been 4 wheeling LOL, but it's a nice highway and SAFE car. Before I got my Atlas, I watched crash test videos. I didn't once think of MPG. If that was an issue, I'd be driving a Precious :rolleyes: or something like that. Thats what sold me. Now, my first two VW's set the standard, a 81 and 84 Jetta. I did have a 2013 Passat TDi but we all know how that went for the masses. Would I recommend it? No. Why? It's a big frigging car. Very roomy and even at 5.10, 220lbs, I look like a little kid driving that thing. It's also got issues. If the car was a 30-40k car LOADED, I'd still stay you better love the brand because it's going to test you. I see the complaints here and there about this car and though I'm not a very religious guy, I thank god I got one built 1st thing on Wednesday morning. I've not had the "issues" so many have had. Granted, the car is 2 years old with only 12k miles on it (as I said, it's for trips), but once you get past it's personality (of being a big car), and that i's a VW and like EVERY BRAND, it's got it's VW crap you have to put up with (like being behind the times on technology.. i.e., it's NAV system SUCKS) and the fact that VW is cheaping out on the quality of the plastics and some parts it's using, you might enjoy the car. I never understood people buying a car and 2 weeks later bitching about how much the worth dropped driving it off the lot. One, if you buy a car as an investment and want to drive it, that person is an idiot so turn and run away. 1st off, it's a car. for 50k, sure, you can buy another brand/model that will have just as much bling/tech as the other. ****, I even looked at going with a KIA Telluride but boy, am I glad I didn't (not to get off topic but a KIA is a KIA no matter what badge it wears).

I would recommend it as an everyday driver. Burns too much gas IMO but again, it's a land yacht. Another car that sits in my driveway is my son's 1993 Chevy Caprice classic. Now, want to talk about a car you can live in? It's MPG is not much better then my Atlas but it has a legitimate excuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts