Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently, I changed my 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE for this vehicle and I'm super upset about my decision. The worsed and sluggish start driving feeling ever when compared with the Highlander. Frequent transmission shifting with a super slow starting drive. Sometimes, it make a noise at the beginning with weird feeling like when the transmission is falling apart. It's crazyyyy, it's like you're driving but having the feeling that you're about to get stuck in the road because your car can't perform a transmission shift properly. It's like having the feeling of get manual transmission vehicle, but that you can't control the shifting. Off the warranty service sucks with limited hours of operations and they don't even offer transportation. I have this Volkswagen (now they wanted to be called VW) for approximately 2 weeks and which I could return it. What a mistake. And please don't come with the Sport driving option because I'm still having the same feeling!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The noise is a well known complaint related to the transmission program. And yes the transmission shifting is all over the place. All in the name of fuel economy. I've just come to accept it and appreciate all the good things about the Atlas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I can't accept it and I'm leaning towards getting a lemon law Attorney.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You won't get the vehicle deemed a lemon because of a "noise" that Volkswagen states is a normal operating condition. If there's not actually something "broken" there is nothing to repair. Lemon laws are very specific as far as their requirements and this noise isn't going to qualify.

A better approach might be to draw negative attention to VWs newest vehicle having a "flaw" that causes an awful noise. Imagine a news story with a shot of the Atlas pulling away from a stop sign with that terrible grinding noise....Bad press might get more action. Maybe at some point because of all the complaints and service visits they have to pay for, they'll consider making a change. But they sure can't afford any more negative publicity.

I think the most frustrating thing about this noise is that we are all pretty sure that a little tweak to the shift programming would solve it!

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
35 Posts
I think the most frustrating thing about this noise is that we are all pretty sure that a little tweak to the shift programming would solve it!
People here are saying that putting it in 'S' from 'D', which is a different shift programming map, does not alter the sound of the torque converter. If a tweak to the shift programming would solve the noise, it seems to me that there be some type of change in pitch, sound level or frequency when going to 'S'. I'm not a transmission engineer, so perhaps this is a poor assumption.

Regardless, I agree that it's unlikely that any State's Lemon law would allow for a functionally normal vehicle to qualify simply because it made a noise that was disliked by the owner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
People here are saying that putting it in 'S' from 'D', which is a different shift programming map, does not alter the sound of the torque converter. If a tweak to the shift programming would solve the noise, it seems to me that there be some type of change in pitch, sound level or frequency when going to 'S'. I'm not a transmission engineer, so perhaps this is a poor assumption.

Regardless, I agree that it's unlikely that any State's Lemon law would allow for a functionally normal vehicle to qualify simply because it made a noise that was disliked by the owner.
Its all about 3rd gear at a certain RPM. S obviously hits that combination in the same way as D. I think for Fuel Economy reasons they are trying to get up in the gears sooner and hit 3rd at too low an RPM. If they bumped up the shift points further they could likely avoid the gear/RPM point that causes the noise. Others doubt VW will touch this programming because it would alter the fuel economy performance of the vehicle and that could be an issue. I don't know if that is true or even how much changing one shift point would effect overall fuel economy to begin with.

I think that's why the vehicle defaults back to D every time you shift out of S into any other gear or restart the vehicle....which makes me think VW "could" modify the S program to avoid the gear/RPM combination that causes the noise without affecting fuel economy numbers (since it is not the standard programming).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts