Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I was looking to purchase a VW atlas 2.0t S FWDand was curious how the handling of it is during inclimate or winter season. I'm assuming the 4 motion would be a better option for this reason but was just curious if someone had any experience driving in the snow/inclimate weather with the 2.0t S FWD? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2.0L SEL that has been moded and makes a bunch of power, I would not recomend putting more power in the 2.0L because it doesnot have a limited slip diff. So far nobody is making a limited slip for this motor and trans. I have not had it it inclimate weather yet so I can't comment on how it performs in that condition. Sorry I could not help more. Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concur about 2wd. I have driven a 2001 Eurovan with 2wd since new and I have never needed 4wd, despite driving off road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, 99.99999999% of the time you do not need AWD or 4x4. Even in snow and ice.. Remember that awd does absolutely NOTHING to help stop in slippery conditions, it only helps you to get going faster (which can lead to trouble when trying to slow down). We chose a holdover 2018 2.0 SE when the price dropped to 26500 as if it's that bad of snow I'll take a real 4x4 (truck) out, but I've driven fwd in all sorts of conditions and we lived in North Pole Alaska for a few years. What matters is the tires, get another set of steel rims with winter tires (studded are hands down the best winter tire if they are legal in your state) and you'll outdo any awd vehicle with all season or summer tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Proper winter tires on a FWD are going to be better than all seasons on a AWD. My opinion. Like said above, both vehicles have four brakes and braking and turning are the most important in snow and ice.

All that said as a disclaimer, I got the wife a 4Motion, and also intend to get studs for her. We are very outdoorsy or rugged and want max traction up steep gravel hills with a vehicle full of kids...hard coming from Touaregs with low range and locking diffs, so we likely did an "emotional buy" as we are used to offroading whenever we want.

Good tires are the best advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
Finally a pair of 2.0t fwd owners on the radar screen. Have you 2.0t owners experience any of the hiccups the v6 4motion owners are screaming about? I am dying to get a 2.0t Atlas but they are not available in Massachusetts or in the contiguous states. Have never had cars shipped from an out of state dealership to Massachusetts. For some reason(s) the local dealers are not anxious to help me do it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts