Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fried of mine recently got a Cross sport with the newer infotainment system (I assume it's the MIB3). He is complaining that it won't let him crank the volume past a certain point. Basically once it hits like 60% the knob and buttons don't have any effect. I suggested maybe there's a setting in the menu for some kind of volume limit? You know, to protect us from deafening ourselves and suing someone. There's nothing like this on my 2019 volume settings.

Any Cross sport owner have any info on this? Could be a glitch too I suppose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A fried of mine recently got a Cross sport with the newer infotainment system (I assume it's the MIB3). He is complaining that it won't let him crank the volume past a certain point. Basically once it hits like 60% the knob and buttons don't have any effect. I suggested maybe there's a setting in the menu for some kind of volume limit? You know, to protect us from deafening ourselves and suing someone. There's nothing like this on my 2019 volume settings.

Any Cross sport owner have any info on this? Could be a glitch too I suppose.
Piggybacking on this thread, I'm having the exact same issue. Loudness won't go past 3/4 even if you crank the knob to max volume.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Again sorry for not given a solution but I am on the same boat. This is the first car I ever had ( even rentals) that I have the volume all the way up, equalizers all at max, every phone setting possible at max and I can still have a conversation with the back seat passengers without screaming my lungs out. It is very frustrating because other then this I really love this car but I am very annoyed. Please if you find any solution let me know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a Mark 8 GTI with exactly the same problem. Trouble shooted the music source (USB, Bluetooth, radio, wireless CarPlay and USB CarPlay) and worked out the problem is the limiting of volume on the infotainment exactly as described by others. Fiddled with the volume settings on the Vw and reset the system (holding down the off button for 10 seconds) but to no avail. Help someone!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys! Bought a 2021 CS in April and noticed this issue on the 2nd day.

Upgraded the speakers, contacted dealers and VW of North America. It is a known issue in 2021 VWs stereo but looks like VW is not doing anything about it and selling cars with faulty stereos!
Please try to call VW of North America and raise the issue, I did the same but nothing yet! It is a software issue, hopefully they'll have a fix soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a Mark 8 GTI with exactly the same problem. Trouble shooted the music source (USB, Bluetooth, radio, wireless CarPlay and USB CarPlay) and worked out the problem is the limiting of volume on the infotainment exactly as described by others. Fiddled with the volume settings on the Vw and reset the system (holding down the off button for 10 seconds) but to no avail. Help someone!!!
An update re my earlier post re the GTI… After trying everything on both my iPhone and mark 8 GTI, I discovered that the volume limiter disappears if I ignore the back speakers completely by pushing the “focus” button within the GTI volume settings to the forward middle position in the vehicle interior map (it is like using a “fader” control to only utilise the front set of speakers. Seems that the car tries to protect the back speakers by limiting the volume of the whole unit. Now the stereo is very loud on full volume. Only downside is that the two back speakers are redundant. I will raise my experience with the dealer at the next service (as it is now easy to show what is hapopening) Hope this helps others with other VW models too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We too are having the same issue in our 21 SEL R-line. We have taken it in four times and two software updates and a reset, no luck. VW has are info and they are considering a buy back however we do not want a buy back. We have asked for compensation to get the system upgraded by a third party as VW told us there is no fix. We have been quoted $1500 to replace all speakers, add an AMP and DSP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! Bought a 2021 CS in April and noticed this issue on the 2nd day.

Upgraded the speakers, contacted dealers and VW of North America. It is a known issue in 2021 VWs stereo but looks like VW is not doing anything about it and selling cars with faulty stereos!
Please try to call VW of North America and raise the issue, I did the same but nothing yet! It is a software issue, hopefully they'll have a fix soon.
Did the upgraded speakers do any different in the sound?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! new to this forum. I am having the same issue. At some point, a limiter was added to the infotaiment system. I am audio engineer. I record and mix records for a living. I have enjoyed listening to my work in the Atlas when we first got one in 2019. I specifically checked the stereo system to make sure it sounded good enough for me to listen mixes on it before we got the car. It was totally acceptable. We swapped the car for a 2021 model and the sound of the infotaiment system has been totally destroyed by this limiting feature. I undertand that they are trying to keep people from blowing up speakers and damaging their hearing but they went WAY too far with it. The system is unlistenable now. You can't get any music up to a decent listening volume without having the audio get totally destroyed by the limiting. It seems it was done with a software update to the infotainment system. I believe it could be remedied with an update that simply removes the limiting or at least raises the threshold. Where/who do we go to for registering complaints about this?

Eric Valentine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 22 cross sport and it's got the same issue. My vw dealer won't even acknowledge it. They said they've never heard about it being a problem.

The wireless phone mirroring on the head unit is so good that I don't want to replace it with something that will cost me features/functionality!

Anyone found a solution to break the code?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts