Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Travel trailer towing

12K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  Baxatlas 
Dropping my experience here. I'm a travel nurse and I own an Atlas Cross Sport 2WD. I tow an R-Pod 192 which weighs around 4100 lbs loaded with a tongue weight of 485 lbs. I'm from Texas and traveled all the way around the us with my travel trailer and my atlas. The first few times I towed without the airbags and I can tell you that you need the airbags in the back. It really helps with the bounciness and maybe an inch of rear tire clearance. I don't have a WDH or sway bars and we have towed to and from Flagstaff many times which is a 5 or 6 thousand foot climb from other parts in Arizona with 6 degree inclines . I've never experienced over heating. Yeah, it's not a diesel or a hemi but it pulls the trailer well.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Sky Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate

One thing to note you really have to have the factory installed hitch for the full 5k tow weight. Apart from the hitch the car comes with a bigger fan, and higher amperage alternator as well as the transmission cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.