Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just bought my first VW, a 2021.5 SEL 3.6 4Motion. One of the features that intrigued us was the new Travel Assist, to make road trips just a bit nicer. However, despite every article I can find online, as well as the window sticker, confirming that 2021.5 SELs should have this function, the user manual seems to indicate there should be a specific button on the left side of the steering wheel to activate it. Our steering wheel has the driver assistance settings button here instead, so I'd theorized that maybe as long as all the individual assistance functions were enabled, it might automatically engage when ACC is active. That doesn't seem to be the case, as when I have ACC on I get the separate icons for Lane Assist and ACC rather than the icon for Travel Assist in the digital dash. I've reached out to VW to inquire, but does anyone happen to know if there's some alternate way to engage Travel Assist?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Just bought my first VW, a 2021.5 SEL 3.6 4Motion. One of the features that intrigued us was the new Travel Assist, to make road trips just a bit nicer. However, despite every article I can find online, as well as the window sticker, confirming that 2021.5 SELs should have this function, the user manual seems to indicate there should be a specific button on the left side of the steering wheel to activate it. Our steering wheel has the driver assistance settings button here instead, so I'd theorized that maybe as long as all the individual assistance functions were enabled, it might automatically engage when ACC is active. That doesn't seem to be the case, as when I have ACC on I get the separate icons for Lane Assist and ACC rather than the icon for Travel Assist in the digital dash. I've reached out to VW to inquire, but does anyone happen to know if there's some alternate way to engage Travel Assist?
I am having this same issue. Did you find out any information?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not received any response yet. Not sure what the rules are for cross-posting here, but on another forum there has been some discussion that VW has failed to install this feature on early production 2021.5s, and some are showing a corresponding $250 deduction on the window sticker - I do not have that on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was able to get into the closest dealer this morning after coordinating with VW corporate. The conclusion after the dealer verified what I was saying is that, while my window sticker lists Travel Assist as an installed feature, if the dealer pulls up the window sticker based on the VIN, it shows that this is not installed and that there should have been a $250 deduction. The dealer's opinion was that it is not possible to retrofit this. I'm waiting to hear back from the corporate office as to next steps, because I definitely would not have taken delivery of the vehicle if the physical window sticker had been accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not received any response yet. Not sure what the rules are for cross-posting here, but on another forum there has been some discussion that VW has failed to install this feature on early production 2021.5s, and some are showing a corresponding $250 deduction on the window sticker - I do not have that on mine.
Correct, I found this out during my search. The first batch of 2021.5 that were not SEL Premium didnt include Travel Assist. If you have Travel Assist it will be located on the Assist menu screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What does Travel Assist entail? The VW website doesn't give much detail.
The travel assist button seems to behave like a shortcut button to do the following functions with one button press:

• set cruise control speed to current speed
  • turn on adaptive cruise control (radar)
  • turn on lane assist and set to hold to center of the lane

I test drove a 2021 which did not have travel assist and the lane assist didn't seem to do anything until you are already leaving the lane, but I think this can be coded to try to hold center of lane. Whereas my 2021.5 holds center of lane in travel assist mode and behaves like a 2021 when just the lane assist is on without travel assist.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The travel assist button seems to behave like a shortcut button to do the following functions with one button press:

• set cruise control speed to current speed
  • turn on adaptive cruise control (radar)
  • turn on lane assist and set to hold to center of the lane

I test drove a 2021 which did not have travel assist and the lane assist didn't seem to do anything until you are already leaving the lane, but I think this can be coded to try to hold center of lane. Whereas my 2021.5 holds center of lane in travel assist mode and behaves like a 2021 when just the lane assist is on without travel assist.
That's all? Doesn't seem like much of a feature. I mean, if I press "set" on my 2019 SEL-P cruise control it sets the speed, and since ACC is the only type of cruise control on my Atlas that's already "on". And I used OBD eleven to enable center lane Lane keep assist.
There's got to be more to this feature being touted by VW???

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's all? Doesn't seem like much of a feature. I mean, if I press "set" on my 2019 SEL-P cruise control it sets the speed, and since ACC is the only type of cruise control on my Atlas that's already "on". And I used OBD eleven to enable center lane Lane keep assist.
There's got to be more to this feature being touted by VW???
That's it from what I can tell. The lane centering does work at lower speeds now whereas I think the pre-2021.5 lane assist only works above 40mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2021.5 SEL Rline does have the travel assist button on the left side of the steering wheel, I can show you a picture if you want. Apart from the features above it also sets the speed based on the road signs so going into school zones etc it slows down automatically. I've tested a few times, only had the Atlas 4 days and it works on roads without lines as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2021.5 SEL Rline does have the travel assist button on the left side of the steering wheel, I can show you a picture if you want. Apart from the features above it also sets the speed based on the road signs so going into school zones etc it slows down automatically. I've tested a few times, only had the Atlas 4 days and it works on roads without lines as well.
That's sounds like a useful feature....IF it includes the ability to set your speed based on the signs.....such as if on highways you could set it to +10. Other than school zones and neighborhoods with lower speed limits, I don't think most people drive "the speed limit" especially on highways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to follow up for anyone else in the same boat I am - after several weeks of back and forth, VW wrote an acceptable check for the missing feature. I definitely would have preferred an option to have Travel Assist installed, but if someone else with an early build 2021.5 is missing it and also didn't get the credit up front, it is worth the time to go through corporate to get a resolution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts