Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same noise. When the Atlas up shifts (usually in gear 6-8) after acceleration to cruising speed that last gear that drops the rmp usually creates a "thud" sound that appears to come from the tranny. Its not super loud, its faint but it has me concerned. Up-shifts at high rpm seem to be ok, just when it up-shifts from say 2500rmp to 1500rpm. Maybe its an overdrive but It does this in auto and manual mode.

anyone else experience this? wondering if I should take it in...

·
Super Moderator
861 Posts
Yes. I have heard it under those conditions. Infrequent. I'm going with torque converter lockout...but who knows.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting. Picking mine up from Richmond hopefully in a couple weeks. The atlas we test drove we didn't hear any thud when shifting. What year is your atlas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. Picking mine up from Richmond hopefully in a couple weeks. The atlas we test drove we didn't hear any thud when shifting. What year is your atlas?
It’s a 2019, apparently they tuned the tranny a bit better in 2020 so this may have gone away in newer models.
I never noticed at first either and it’s specific situations when the tranny is already in low rpm (2000 ish) and upshifts for cruising speed to drop rpm to 1000. Up shifting in high rpm is fine

·
Registered
44 Posts
It’s a 2019, apparently they tuned the tranny a bit better in 2020 so this may have gone away in newer models.
I never noticed at first either and it’s specific situations when the tranny is already in low rpm (2000 ish) and upshifts for cruising speed to drop rpm to 1000. Up shifting in high rpm is fine
Maybe it has to do to tuning or an update. I have noticed on the Facebook enthusiast forum that updates play a huge part in the atlas working properly. My suggestion is bring it back to the dealership explain to them the situation and ask if there is any updates for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same noise. When the Atlas up shifts (usually in gear 6-8) after acceleration to cruising speed that last gear that drops the rmp usually creates a "thud" sound that appears to come from the tranny. Its not super loud, its faint but it has me concerned. Up-shifts at high rpm seem to be ok, just when it up-shifts from say 2500rmp to 1500rpm. Maybe its an overdrive but It does this in auto and manual mode.

Yes

Yes I just bought a 2018 atlas with 27K I've noticed a unconsistant muffled thud here and there I cannot make the car dictate. It kind of sounds like one tire running over a hose on the road or someone closing a car door far away. I can get it to make the sound when shifting manually, I wonder if it's a bad issue or just the way the tyranny works?? It would be good to know before the warranty closes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes

Yes I just bought a 2018 atlas with 27K I've noticed a unconsistant muffled thud here and there I cannot make the car dictate. It kind of sounds like one tire running over a hose on the road or someone closing a car door far away. I can get it to make the sound when shifting manually, I wonder if it's a bad issue or just the way the tyranny works?? It would be good to know before the warranty closes
Yup that's it! not sure if its a major issue or not. Maybe its the overdrive kicking in??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts