Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2019 Sel V6. Every once in a while, we get that “old school” hard shifting feeling when shifting from park as if the engine or transmission mounts were going bad. I saw in another forum about noise and hard shifitng from gears and the lag at launch. Well ours is also making the torque converter noise and seems lazy at launch as if it had a turbo lag, but no turbo on the V6 engine.
Needless to say, I guess the shifting from park can be added to the numerous complaints.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Are you using the parking brake? This has been posted/discussed many times. Procedure for a clunk-free shift into R or D: When you come to a stop, foot on brake, shift into park.. Don't release the foot brake. Engage the parking electronic parking brake, wait until you hear it engage, then let off the foot brake. There is nothing wrong, it's just a technique thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, have followed the timed and true shifting into park and out of park relying on the ebrake, etc. still does it. Sometimes we get resistance at the shifter.
We’ve encountered moments where we would have to press hard on the brake pedal to get out of park. I found that engaging the ebrake before shifting into park where the ebrake does its job, and the shifting isn’t as hard.
Needless to say we are on day three and the dealer can’t figure it out. I did a search before posting and couldn’t find this issue, so appoligies for “spamming” the forum.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Yes, have followed the timed and true shifting into park and out of park relying on the ebrake, etc. still does it. Sometimes we get resistance at the shifter.
We’ve encountered moments where we would have to press hard on the brake pedal to get out of park. I found that engaging the ebrake before shifting into park where the ebrake does its job, and the shifting isn’t as hard.
Needless to say we are on day three and the dealer can’t figure it out. I did a search before posting and couldn’t find this issue, so appoligies for “spamming” the forum.
The key to me is ensuring that the parking brake is fully engaged before letting off the foot brake, it has a delay. I assume this is only on a slope?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key to me is ensuring that the parking brake is fully engaged before letting off the foot brake, it has a delay. I assume this is only on a slope?
No it happens randomly. I thought that as well, but no, it happens on flat surfaces.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Moving the cars yesterday to/from the driveway - yes, I do notice sometimes its stiff to pull the lever from park to reverse even with the appropriate parking brake technique but nothing I'd call out of the ordinary or an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there, might help (it is annoying until it is a habit) when parking to 1) place in neutral 2) engage e brake and wait for it to engage 3) release foot brake and let car roll such that e brake stops it and 4) put foot back on brake and shift to park.

My experience is that engine torque can at times be enough that it loads the parking pawl when shifting into park just from driving torsion...the only way to stop this is above. We own two Toaureg's and I have to park them this was as well on slopes...although flat loading is rare is still happens from time to time if I don't do the above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there, might help (it is annoying until it is a habit) when parking to 1) place in neutral 2) engage e brake and wait for it to engage 3) release foot brake and let car roll such that e brake stops it and 4) put foot back on brake and shift to park.

My experience is that engine torque can at times be enough that it loads the parking pawl when shifting into park just from driving torsion...the only way to stop this is above. We own two Toaureg's and I have to park them this was as well on slopes...although flat loading is rare is still happens from time to time if I don't do the above.
Well, the dealer returned the Atlas claiming that it is normal. Something about the gear still being engaged. What I will do is complain about it at every service until they do something about it. We have a 10 year 100k mile warranty on it so just driving it till it explodes lol. I also have a 2018 Durango with the R/T and it shifts smooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts