Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a new Atlas with a dealer installed trailer hitch. The vehicle however did not come with a trailer light socket (just the flat plastic cover). I checked the forums and purchased the Pollak from Amazon instead of the dealership. Install the 7 pin and used a multi-meter to test the power but all I'm getting is a pulsing 3 volts on most of the terminals. I checked the Pollak and the connectivity was all correct. I tested the plug coming from the vehicle and still only have pulsing power. None of the terminals was 12 volts. I tried the flashers with the engine on and off with all the same results. I'm reading that VW's enter a "trailer mode" when a trailer is attached and the blind spot, rear parking senors, eco mode all turn off automatically. Does trailer lights plug only work when the vehicle enters "Trailer Mode?" I do see multiple fuses labelled "Towing recognition control Module" in the driver foot well.
I called the dealership I got the car from and they said they will look at the plug but it'll cost $138 to diagnosis but if it is a warranty problem it's free of charge. I found this really annoying.
My question is - have others seen the pulsing on the trailer light plug on VW SUV's when a trailer is not attached? Is the trailer mode true? I'm about to go to a local Uhaul and just rent a trailer to tow around the block to test the plug before I go to the dealership.

UPDATE:
I went to a local Home Depot tool rental location and asked if I could just plug in a trailer to test my lights. Once I had a trailer plugged in all the lights worked. Didn't even setup the hitch ball or move the car. Once I unplugged the trailer I did get warning lights on the dash to check the lights on the trailer. I guess chalk this one up to "German engineering" and making the trailer light plug super complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same issue. I plugged in a 7-way to 4-way adapter with test leds and the lights would just blink. When I plugged in the trailer it worked fine. (At least the left side did, but I’m pretty sure the right side is out). My concern is if they blink constantly and run down the battery, but I suppose that’s not likely. Plus the car is always listening for the keyless entry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts