Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021.5 vw atlas r line with 4-motion. I am in the process of buying a trailer that is 3700lb. The problem is the connection point in the tongue requires a 2 5/16" hitch ball. The vw owners manual says not to go above 2" diameter and I don't know why. The weight is ok and well under. Has anyone switched their ball hitch or not a great idea? Please help lol.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas, 2008 Rabbit, 1980 Kombi Truck, 1965 Beetle
8 Posts
I use a 2 5/16" ball on a 2" receiver with no issues. When I spoke with my VW dealer, they recommended to not install many part options as it would void the warranty. It seems VW didn't intend the Atlas to tow anything other than a small utility trailer! or they ain't paying for any issues if you so choose to make a better SUV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back so quick! I also got a message back from my vw dealer that said they see no reason why a different size ball couldn't be used. Maybe the 2" suggestion in manual is used as a precaution. Some people might want to load more on a bigger ball hitch? But anyhow thanks again for getting back!

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
5,000 lbs is the towing capacity of the Atlas. A trailer that is 3700lb doesn't offer much room for adding on a load. The reason VW probably states to stick to a 2" is because of the below table.

TypeSize of Tow Ball DiameterGross Trailer Weight (GTW) Max
Hitch1-7/8″Always rated at 7,500 lbs
2”Always rated at 8,000 lbs
2-5/16″12,500 lbs
I dont think someone would want my 14k dump trailer behind an Atlas which takes a 2-5/16 ball
If the Atlas is rated for 5k then there wouldn't be a need to get a trailer with a bigger ball however this is just a reference chart. people own trailers already so its up to the end user to understand GTW vs GCVW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Luckily the trailor is only for going a few hours away. There won't be much load in it. We will be traveling with empty water tanks and such and just using on site facilities when we hook up. I do appreciate the response and breakdown.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL R-Line
3 Posts
I have a 2021.5 vw atlas r line with 4-motion. I am in the process of buying a trailer that is 3700lb. The problem is the connection point in the tongue requires a 2 5/16" hitch ball. The vw owners manual says not to go above 2" diameter and I don't know why. The weight is ok and well under. Has anyone switched their ball hitch or not a great idea? Please help lol.
I recommend you buy 2 ball mounts and put a 2" ball on one and a 2 5/16" ball on the other. Just insert the ball mount & ball combo you need when you need to tow. That's what I did for my Touareg TDI and Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. I will do the same for our ACS SEL R-Line if and when I ever need to tow a trailer that requires a 2 5/16" ball.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts