Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SE 4 Motion w/ Technology
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an guidance on whether it is allowed to 'flip' the hitch to get a higher rise on the trailer ball? The standard hitch drop with 2" ball only gets to approx. 19" above the level pavement. Most of the travel trailers I am seeing are on the order of 22" or more inches. The etched placard next to the hitch and the owner's manual seems to indicate it should only be used in the 'drop' position. However, it doesn't specifically exclude it. I'm worried that with the ball above the receiver, there's going to be additional torque on the receiver assembly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wouldn't flip the hitch. You might potentially do damage to your vehicle if the trailer overshoots the ball. You might consider lifting the SUV

·
Registered
2019 VW ATLAS Highline
2 Posts
Does anyone have an guidance on whether it is allowed to 'flip' the hitch to get a higher rise on the trailer ball? The standard hitch drop with 2" ball only gets to approx. 19" above the level pavement. Most of the travel trailers I am seeing are on the order of 22" or more inches. The etched placard next to the hitch and the owner's manual seems to indicate it should only be used in the 'drop' position. However, it doesn't specifically exclude it. I'm worried that with the ball above the receiver, there's going to be additional torque on the receiver assembly.
Most hitches are designed to be flipped. They have a ‘rise’ and a ‘drop’.
I have mine setup for 1” rise, and this was professionally setup.

The most important aspect is that the trailer tongue is level with the asphalt so tongue weight is correct.

Ball too low and undue suspension burden on your vehicle.

Ball too high and shifts the weight rearward on the trailer axle and difficult to control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most hitches are designed to be flipped. They have a ‘rise’ and a ‘drop’.
I have mine setup for 1” rise, and this was professionally setup.

The most important aspect is that the trailer tongue is level with the asphalt so tongue weight is correct.

Ball too low and undue suspension burden on your vehicle.

Ball too high and shifts the weight rearward on the trailer axle and difficult to control. View attachment 1269 View attachment 1270
What is the distance from the pin to your ball on that ball mount? Looks short, and I have been having a hard time finding shorter ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I decided to buy the VW Ball Mount, the MSRP price is $137 instead of the $30 you can get from CURT at any Advanced Auto Parts. On the VW the distance from the hole to the center of the ball is 6 1/2 as specified in the Atlas. I did it to be extra cautious, the longer will be more stress is put to the "super MQB" VW platform. Rode already 1,000 miles with no issues. Only the factory installed hitch and the CURT Echo bluetooth as brake controller. Towing an APEX Nano 194BHS and the combined weight (Atlas + people + tongue + trailer + cargo) is around 9,500 pounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts