Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

TPMS - Do you have to check the pressure manually?

48K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  NBAfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This morning my 2019 SE VTECH let me know the tire pressure was low on the right front tire. Understandable, there was a temperature drop last night, but no biggie...

For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere in the Multi-function Display/VIC, or Infotainment, what the actual pressure is, just that they are low.

Am I missing something, or do you have to check the pressure manually?

Thanks!

#2 ·
This morning my 2019 SE VTECH let me know the tire pressure was low on the right front tire. Understandable, there was a temperature drop last night, no biggie....

For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere in the Multi-function Display/VIC, or Infotainment, what the actual pressure is, just that they are low.

Thanks!
It is a sensor only and does not give the tire pressure. I wish VW went to the next step by actually displaying the pressure.

#3 ·
It's an indirect system so yes, at first you will need to set all 4 tires to the desired pressure (35psi) then go into the infotainment unit (under the car menu) and find the tire menu and set it. It will tell you if you have a low tire but not which one or what the pressure is. It works through the various systems (namely ABS) to determine if one wheel is rotating slightly slower than the rest due to the slightly smaller diameter you get when it's underinflated.

#4 ·
Thank you all for the quick replies. It's like, thanks VW for telling me which tire it is... and showing a nice graphic on the infotainment... but yeah.. I'd like to know what the PSI w/o getting out of the car LMAO. SMH. (We have a 2011 Jeep G. Cherokee Overland Summit and it shows us the PSI on the EVIC =D)

So far, love the 2019 Atlas, except the sluggish acceleration, and cheapish interior. But man it is roomy!

#10 ·
Can anyone tell me why my tpms light comes on after I’ve set the tire pressure and then reset the infortainment center? I reset it about a month ago and like clock work the light is one again. It’s been warm so I know it isn’t the cold and the tires themselves checked out.

I also agree with the rest of the posters. The individual sensors with actual psi display is much more beneficial.

#12 ·
This morning my 2019 SE VTECH let me know the tire pressure was low on the right front tire. Understandable, there was a temperature drop last night, no biggie....

Thanks!
Just had this issue, so I’m relieved to see this post. I can’t believe my R line can’t just show a number for tire pressure while it’s showing me a fancy picture of my vehicle on a computer screen smh. My little Buick that they barely assigned any trade-in value to definitely told me my PSI for thousands of dollars less! Shouldn’t have to get out on the highway to check tire pressure in 2020. Ok, I think I’m done venting now.

#14 ·
Last Thursday while taking ours in for a service on the front end links the TPMS alert came on. Didn’t alert to which tire and didn’t give pressure. I got out and looked and couldn’t see anything low and as luck would have it, didn’t have my gauge in the glovebox from the old car. Dealership told me it was just a temp change, but couldn’t explain why it didn’t show a specific tire, or depending on how you look at it ... all 4 tires low. Who knows, but I don’t like the system.

#15 ·
Yes - one of the downsides is that when all the tires drop in pressure say like when it first gets cold out and the air is denser, the system won't detect it b/c it's looking at relative differences. Happened to my next door neighbor recently with a Honda (it's not just VW) CRV - all the tires were at ~22...I had to show her how to inflate them, check the air, and reset the system. I'm not going to lie....it's unfortunate that we've become so reliant on tech that as car owners folks don't even know how to check our air pressure or know that you should do that once a month along with opening your hood and looking around. I bought them each a $10 digital air gauge from Amazon for Christmas plus they all got a nice life lesson in car ownership/maintenance.

#21 ·
You can't be bothered to check the air in your tires and this makes buying the Atlas the worst decision of your life? Good lord. Indirect TPMS - at least you don't have to replace the sensors for $100 each time you get tires. Sad days when checking your air with a $10 digital gauge on Amazon is major drama in 2021.

#26 ·
After seeing a few non-specific “low tire” warnings and having to check each tire to figure out which one was low (no big deal), I received this very specific tire warning.
I just had the tires replaced, they were over inflated (40lbs. vs. 35 recommended) and I suspect the tire shop never reset the monitor system.
It is interesting the 3-4 warnings in the 3 years prior to this, never specified the low tire and many posts say the system will not tell us which tire. I’ll have to see what happens next time one goes low.

#27 ·
After seeing a few non-specific “low tire” warnings and having to check each tire to figure out which one was low (no big deal), I received this very specific tire warning.
I just had the tires replaced, they were over inflated (40lbs. vs. 35 recommended) and I suspect the tire shop never reset the monitor system.
It is interesting the 3-4 warnings in the 3 years prior to this, never specified the low tire and many posts say the system will not tell us which tire. I’ll have to see what happens next time one goes low.
Possible you had an update at VW since then?

#29 ·
I know this is 3 years later, but this issue still exists and hard to believe Volkswagon didn't add tire pressure readings since 2019... we've had to pull over 4 times since we bought our 2022 ... only a month ago ...! we also have 2 Infiniti suvs and they all have readings as standard feature ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.