Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FWD V6 SE w/Tech package
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve enjoyed reading this forum after finding it a week ago and appreciate the thorough manner with which so many contribute. I'm hoping to get a little help/advice.

I have a 2019 FWD V6 SE w/tech but no towing package. I am looking to purchase and tow a small Coleman trailer (Lantern LT 17B) with a GVWR of 3850 lbs and a tongue weight of 480 lbs.

I am considering either of the below class III options on etrailer that both pass below the rear bumper.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Atlas/2019/76176.html?VehicleID=201965679
Or
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Atlas/2019/C13366.html?VehicleID=201961777

I am hoping to get your thoughts on my intentions and some answers to the below. I would love to do this right the first time.
  1. For my ’19 SE, is it understood that the wires to tie into, for a brake controller, are there behind the hood release like they are for an Atlas with a factory tow package?
  2. Should I run wires as a 4pin and then convert to 7 or are there actually 7 wires that are smarter to run all together from the beginning of this process?
  3. If I choose not to violate the owner’s manual on weight distribution systems, I still intend to employ sway control (Reese Friction Sway Control Kit or similar). Does that give anyone pause?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2018 VW Atlas SEL premium with factory tow package so I can tow 5000lbs with 500 hitch weight. Without the factory tow package it would be limited to only 2000 lbs. The Atlas does not have the same frame as many other cars so unless a professional can install it to factory specs you may damage your frame. Because of the frame you are warned against using a weight distribution hitch. I tow a EPRO travel trailer - dry weight 2900 with about 300 tongue weight. I use a CURT sway bar (from eTrailer). I only use the Atlas for travel and drive my old Vanagon around town. I currently have 39,000 mile on the Atlas and Have pulled the EPRO from the Canadian Border to Florida and fron The North Carolina Coast to Montana and all points in between. I get about 12 mpg pulling the trailer and 25 without. I live in Kentucky. Next trip will be to Santa Fe. I bought the Atlas to pull a trailer and have not been dissapointed. Only issue has the the rear trailer camera was not recognized by the car. Etrailer has a work aroung for that. Good Luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve enjoyed reading this forum after finding it a week ago and appreciate the thorough manner with which so many contribute. I'm hoping to get a little help/advice.

I have a 2019 FWD V6 SE w/tech but no towing package. I am looking to purchase and tow a small Coleman trailer (Lantern LT 17B) with a GVWR of 3850 lbs and a tongue weight of 480 lbs.

I am considering either of the below class III options on etrailer that both pass below the rear bumper.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Atlas/2019/76176.html?VehicleID=201965679
Or
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Atlas/2019/C13366.html?VehicleID=201961777

I am hoping to get your thoughts on my intentions and some answers to the below. I would love to do this right the first time.
  1. For my ’19 SE, is it understood that the wires to tie into, for a brake controller, are there behind the hood release like they are for an Atlas with a factory tow package?
  2. Should I run wires as a 4pin and then convert to 7 or are there actually 7 wires that are smarter to run all together from the beginning of this process?
  3. If I choose not to violate the owner’s manual on weight distribution systems, I still intend to employ sway control (Reese Friction Sway Control Kit or similar). Does that give anyone pause?
Thanks!!!

NETXVW,
I have basically the same vehicle, 2019 SE w/tech 4motion but no factory tow package and I tow a Coachmen trailer that is 3400lbs dry.
I had my tow setup installed by a local truck outfitter that gave me great advice and it has worked out really well.
1. They installed the curt hitch receiver with 6000lb capacity and 900lb tongue capacity (the second one you listed) and recommended no weight distribution because of the unibody frame of the Atlas and the warranty.
2. They installed a 4 & 7 pin trailer plug combo.
3. I chose the Curt echo wireless brake controller and it has worked great. I chose the echo because it will work with other tow vehicles and to avoid messing with the electronics behind the dash of the Atlas.
4. 4 inch rise ball mount.
5. Reese friction sway control
The truck outfitter recommended towing a few times without airbags for the suspension, or improved cooling system, or any other modifications because they probably wouldn't be needed.
The Atlas has towed the camper like a champ through the Appalachian Mountains no issues with overheating, or electronics.
Hope this info is useful and if you're already towing I hope you enjoy camping

1 - 3 of 3 Posts