Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THE INFO:

I have a 2021 vw atlas r line with tech and towing package. 5000lb towing capacity.

I bought a 2021 forest river salem fsx 170ss. Dry weight 3800lbs, max weight 4800lbs. The trailer came with 1/3 tank of water in it and I had some odds and ends, tools and such in the trailer and im guessing I would've been around the 4500ish weight range. Tongue weight was 500lbs according to curt betterweigh. And I used a curt echo brake controller.

ONTO THE STORY:

I recently towed my trailer around town just to practice hauling as I am brand new to doing something like this. It seemed to tow with no problems when driving forward. HOWEVER, when I tried to back this in my driveway my atlas gave me a message that the "transmission was in emergency mode." It happened about 3 times as I was trying to back in my driveway.so I waited a few minutes to let it cool and then continued. I finally got in but am wondering if anyone had this problem? Heavily thinking about upgrading my vehicle as it seems the vw can't handle as well as I thought on my hill that I live on.

I live on a fairly steep hill about 6-7% grade and reversed it uphill into the driveway. I was told to do it that way by the delivery driver who sent the trailer. Any tips or info as to what I did wrong or if this trailer is simply too heavy to tow up a hill in reverse would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded message but I'm new and inexperienced at towing . Thanks again for reading everyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is likely a sensor or wiring problem. You are well within the towing limit capacities of your Atlas. See this thread:

You will likely have to take it in to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 to above-for towing you are within spec and unfortunately need to address the reversing / transmission wiring issue with dealer. As for the engine you have-the 3.6-that engine has been used for some time and one of our Touaregs (a 2007) has this same motor as well and has towed our 7,500 lbs TT for a decade! So don't worry about the motor in the Atlas with towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the quick response. I should add that the atlas did struggle to find power when reversing it uphill but I'm not sure if I had my brake controller too high or if that wouldn't make a difference when my foot is off the brake anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar issue with our 3k lb trailer that I reverse into a steep driveway. However, this happened when I switched to the curt echo so I knew right away where the problem was as I had backed the trailer up many times without a problem. After some troubleshooting the sensitivity was set to high on the curt, and lowering it to 0 when backing up on the drive way seemed to put less stress on the transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts