Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 all wheel drive, including V6 and towing package. planning to tow a camping trailer, and wondering if anyone out there has experiences, good or bad

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.
That's one of the reasons I can't wait for the Atlas PHEV to finally release.
During the summer months I haul a lot of small trailers and boats so if what I know about PHEV's hold up with the Atlas it will be an ideal buy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.
I don't think we will see this in the current Atlas before the 2021model year and this will be possible at the mid cycle refresh time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The V6 SEL does a nice job towing. The power and transmission work well towing a 4000# Airstream Bambi. Very stable and The only issue is that the 500# tongue weight makes the rear drop more than I like, so I have to load more towards the back of the trailer and nothing heavy in the back of the Atlas. Only towed a couple of times last year - looking forward to more this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.
Very true.

For now i'm just happy the Atlas feels stable enough at higher speeds when hauling a load which in past vehicles hasn't been the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Real World Weight Distribution Hitch Experiences?

Has anyone else tried using a weight distribution/sway control hitch with the Atlas? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Now that the Atlas has been out for a while, I haven't seen many updates. Towing a Coleman TT here and seem to be running a fine line with weight and sway control. Actual loaded weight is around 4200 lbs (CAT scales) and currently using a sway control bar.

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Has anyone else tried using a weight distribution/sway control hitch with the Atlas? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Now that the Atlas has been out for a while, I haven't seen many updates. Towing a Coleman TT here and seem to be running a fine line with weight and sway control. Actual loaded weight is around 4200 lbs (CAT scales) and currently using a sway control bar.

Thanks
VW says not to use weight distribution on the Atlas

·
Registered
2018 Atlas Highline, towing 2019 Apex Nano 191
8 Posts
VW says not to use weight distribution on the Atlas
The factory installed hitch cannot accommodate a weight distribution hitch. The OEM hitch is a weight-pulling hitch, not a weight-bearing hitch.

That being said, I have an aftermarket weight distribution hitch (from CURT hitches) installed on my Highline. No mods needed, bolts right in under the factory mount (looks a little strange, I know have 2 receivers stacked on top of the other!)

Towing a 3800 pound, 400 pound tongue weight hard side travel trailer. Handles great. Around 10 mpg, but that’s expected with a giant wind sail behind me.

Towed thru the Appalachian mountains (Virginia / West Virginia). Had to use the manual transmission for some hill climbs, but otherwise drive decently (again, for having a giant wind sail behind me!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 2019 all wheel drive, including V6 and towing package. planning to tow a camping trailer, and wondering if anyone out there has experiences, good or bad
Have a 2018 SEL Premium and tow a 3000 lb travel trailer. Have towed over 15000 mile. Montana Canada Florida all good . Expect 12 mpg when tow6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I wanted to bump this thread.

Me and my wife have an Atlas SE with tech package. We also have the tow set up and I wanted to see how it's going for everyone.

We are looking for a Camper that weighs around 3000-3500, dry weight. What is everyone's experiences with tit so far?

Anyone using a Weight distributing hitch? Yes, I know it's not recommended but I've seen some people state they are using them anyways. How are those holding up?

Also, any use air-bag assist kits for the rear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The factory installed hitch cannot accommodate a weight distribution hitch. The OEM hitch is a weight-pulling hitch, not a weight-bearing hitch.

That being said, I have an aftermarket weight distribution hitch (from CURT hitches) installed on my Highline. No mods needed, bolts right in under the factory mount (looks a little strange, I know have 2 receivers stacked on top of the other!)

Towing a 3800 pound, 400 pound tongue weight hard side travel trailer. Handles great. Around 10 mpg, but that’s expected with a giant wind sail behind me.

Towed thru the Appalachian mountains (Virginia / West Virginia). Had to use the manual transmission for some hill climbs, but otherwise drive decently (again, for having a giant wind sail behind me!)
Hello Johnny,

We bought a 3,000 LBS (dry) trailer with a 420lbs hitch weight.

We have a 2018 Atlas SEL with a 5,000 LBS towing capacity and 500 LBS weight rating.

I was told not to buy a stabilizing hitch, because it could damage the Atlas frame, and to get airbags instead.

I cannot find anything repeating this information...what do I need to get? Stabilizing hitch? Weight distro hitch? Airbags? All of it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The V6 SEL does a nice job towing. The power and transmission work well towing a 4000# Airstream Bambi. Very stable and The only issue is that the 500# tongue weight makes the rear drop more than I like, so I have to load more towards the back of the trailer and nothing heavy in the back of the Atlas. Only towed a couple of times last year - looking forward to more this year.
Do you have airbags? Weight-distro hitch? Stabilizing hitch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not put a weight hitch on an Atlas, sway hitch yes, if your are pushing the limit then try air bags the dealer can install. Rule number one, if the capacity is 5,000# go 80% or 4,000 loaded as the limit.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas Highline, towing 2019 Apex Nano 191
8 Posts
Hello Johnny,

We bought a 3,000 LBS (dry) trailer with a 420lbs hitch weight.

We have a 2018 Atlas SEL with a 5,000 LBS towing capacity and 500 LBS weight rating.

I was told not to buy a stabilizing hitch, because it could damage the Atlas frame, and to get airbags instead.

I cannot find anything repeating this information...what do I need to get? Stabilizing hitch? Weight distro hitch? Airbags? All of it?

Thanks in advance.
HI Pete,

Curt hitchs makes an aftermarket weight distribution hitch ( Class 3 Hitch, 2" Receiver, Select Volkswagen Atlas (Excluding Cross Sport) ) for the Atlas (not CrossSport) that bolts right into the rear subframe, no issues, no mods needed. I'm using this hitch assembly, for 1.5 years now, and loving it. I'm thinking about airbags, not as a necessity, but more of a comfort factor - my 2018 Highline tows our Apex Nano 191 wonderfully with just the Curt weight distribution hitch.

The factory installed, OEM hitch assembly will not bear a weight distribution hitch - yes, you can damage the vehicle if you put a weight distribution system into the OEM hitch mount. the OEM hitch assembly is basically a round bar, that goes between the rear frame rails - none of the required structure for a weight distribution hitch.

There is another thread in here that describes the process for wiring in the electric brake controller (Trailer Hitch Atlas), very simple and easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Pete,

Curt hitchs makes an aftermarket weight distribution hitch ( Class 3 Hitch, 2" Receiver, Select Volkswagen Atlas (Excluding Cross Sport) ) for the Atlas (not CrossSport) that bolts right into the rear subframe, no issues, no mods needed. I'm using this hitch assembly, for 1.5 years now, and loving it. I'm thinking about airbags, not as a necessity, but more of a comfort factor - my 2018 Highline tows our Apex Nano 191 wonderfully with just the Curt weight distribution hitch.

The factory installed, OEM hitch assembly will not bear a weight distribution hitch - yes, you can damage the vehicle if you put a weight distribution system into the OEM hitch mount. the OEM hitch assembly is basically a round bar, that goes between the rear frame rails - none of the required structure for a weight distribution hitch.

There is another thread in here that describes the process for wiring in the electric brake controller (Trailer Hitch Atlas), very simple and easy.
THANK YOU. I've been reading a lot about this topic and there has been a lot of talk either way regarding distribution kits on the OEM hitch, you're the first person that I have found that actually explained WHY you shouldn't do it, so thanks.

We just bought a Jayco 174BH that is just under 3k LBs dry. While we are well within the 5k limit the back end of the Atlas is wayyy down, so I am going to add this secondary receiver hitch you linked to and get an equalizer kit for our next trip. Unfortunately we are already committed to a 1,800km trip through the rockies without it. Fingers crossed.

I installed the Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller already. The hardest part of that was finding the existing wiring harness behind the panel with the hood release latch. After that it was easy peasy. I should mention that I worked at a shop installing receiver hitches, 5th wheel hitches, brake controllers, and all other towing accessories for a couple years while going to University, so I have some experience to draw off of.

I'll write up a post after our first trip (without equalizer kit) with everything I've done and learned so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curt hitchs makes an aftermarket weight distribution hitch ( Class 3 Hitch, 2" Receiver, Select Volkswagen Atlas (Excluding Cross Sport) ) for the Atlas (not CrossSport) that bolts right into the rear subframe, no issues, no mods needed.
Are you sure you linked the right product page? That page at that link doesn't indicate that the hitch is "an aftermarket weight distribution hitch".
From the page's product specifications:
"Weight Distribution Tongue Weight (WDTW) - N/A
Weight Distribution (WD) - N/A"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts