Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 all wheel drive, including V6 and towing package. planning to tow a camping trailer, and wondering if anyone out there has experiences, good or bad

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.
That's one of the reasons I can't wait for the Atlas PHEV to finally release.
During the summer months I haul a lot of small trailers and boats so if what I know about PHEV's hold up with the Atlas it will be an ideal buy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.
I don't think we will see this in the current Atlas before the 2021model year and this will be possible at the mid cycle refresh time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The V6 SEL does a nice job towing. The power and transmission work well towing a 4000# Airstream Bambi. Very stable and The only issue is that the 500# tongue weight makes the rear drop more than I like, so I have to load more towards the back of the trailer and nothing heavy in the back of the Atlas. Only towed a couple of times last year - looking forward to more this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.
Very true.

For now i'm just happy the Atlas feels stable enough at higher speeds when hauling a load which in past vehicles hasn't been the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Real World Weight Distribution Hitch Experiences?

Has anyone else tried using a weight distribution/sway control hitch with the Atlas? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Now that the Atlas has been out for a while, I haven't seen many updates. Towing a Coleman TT here and seem to be running a fine line with weight and sway control. Actual loaded weight is around 4200 lbs (CAT scales) and currently using a sway control bar.

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Has anyone else tried using a weight distribution/sway control hitch with the Atlas? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Now that the Atlas has been out for a while, I haven't seen many updates. Towing a Coleman TT here and seem to be running a fine line with weight and sway control. Actual loaded weight is around 4200 lbs (CAT scales) and currently using a sway control bar.

Thanks
VW says not to use weight distribution on the Atlas

·
Registered
3 Posts
VW says not to use weight distribution on the Atlas
The factory installed hitch cannot accommodate a weight distribution hitch. The OEM hitch is a weight-pulling hitch, not a weight-bearing hitch.

That being said, I have an aftermarket weight distribution hitch (from CURT hitches) installed on my Highline. No mods needed, bolts right in under the factory mount (looks a little strange, I know have 2 receivers stacked on top of the other!)

Towing a 3800 pound, 400 pound tongue weight hard side travel trailer. Handles great. Around 10 mpg, but that’s expected with a giant wind sail behind me.

Towed thru the Appalachian mountains (Virginia / West Virginia). Had to use the manual transmission for some hill climbs, but otherwise drive decently (again, for having a giant wind sail behind me!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts