Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Atlas V6 FWD. 9K miles. When starting off especially when the engine is above 200 degrees I have a loud rattle that goes away when it shifts to 2nd gear. this happens at both slow and aggressive accelerations. Also when accelerating slowly its seams to stutter at each shift. (or cannot figure which gear to be in) This does not happen when aggressive. The VW mechanic TODAY said it is common and they offered nothing else. Has anyone else experienced
this?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I think this is a pretty common issue, seems like not a big deal although take the information how you choose.

That said I am curious. I just bought a 2021 SEL V6. I have yet to hear the noise, is this something they figured out or have I just not heard it yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think this is a pretty common issue, seems like not a big deal although take the information how you choose.

That said I am curious. I just bought a 2021 SEL V6. I have yet to hear the noise, is this something they figured out or have I just not heard it yet?
I am more concerned that the transmission fails after the MFG warranty. I never purchase the extended warranties. I need to be sure this issue is noted with VW for future reference.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I am going with the "third gear slow speed acceleration noise" that is common to nearly all of these vehicles with the Aisin 8-speed auto. This is the issue outlined in links above, take the time to read through it all, lots of good info that should help put your mind at ease that while odd/annoying to some, your tranny isn't going to grenade. I have not heard of one transmission issue related to this noise and keep in mind that the first run Atlas is now going on 3-4 years old so some will be well out of warranty by now. Your description isn't quite right - to repeat, simply slow to a near-stop in drive, about 1000 rpm, then accelerate - if you swap the lever over to manual mode you will see which gear it's in on the dash - will be third gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is not uncommon with the 8 speed transmission. If anyone has driven a manual transmission and tried to accelerate in a higher gear rather than downshifting, you would hear a similar noise. It has to do with not enough torque (rpm's) when trying to accelerate in a higher gear, I think it was designed to work that way to increase mpg.. I have been on this forum since February and it has been brought up numerous times. I don't believe that it will cause any damage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had that sound in a 2018 Atlas SE I rented for a couple of months and it also occurs in my 2019 Atlas SE I leased. I don't worry about it since it's a leased car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Atlas V6 FWD. 9K miles. When starting off especially when the engine is above 200 degrees I have a loud rattle that goes away when it shifts to 2nd gear. this happens at both slow and aggressive accelerations. Also when accelerating slowly its seams to stutter at each shift. (or cannot figure which gear to be in) This does not happen when aggressive. The VW mechanic TODAY said it is common and they offered nothing else. Has anyone else experienced
this?

I am happy to see that such a forum exists. As for my 2019 Atlas, I couldn't be happier! I purchased my V6 4Motion about 1 month ago and have driven 1k Km's so far. I traded in my Dodge Caravan and have noted that I am getting better gas millage with my Atlas and it has not even been broken in yet. Nothing, in my opinion, is better out there in its class when comparing styling and drivability.

As for the grinding noise, I too hear it at least 2-3 times on my daily trips and I have concerns. I have contacted VW Canada as well as my dealer. The only answer I got was wait until I hit the 2k-3k Km's and the sound should subside. My dealer also mentioned he as heard of many with the same issue. Thanks for all the info that people have sharing, please continue to do so and keep everyone up to date on the latest news.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am happy to see that such a forum exists. As for my 2019 Atlas, I couldn't be happier! I purchased my V6 4Motion about 1 month ago and have driven 1k Km's so far. I traded in my Dodge Caravan and have noted that I am getting better gas millage with my Atlas and it has not even been broken in yet. Nothing, in my opinion, is better out there in its class when comparing styling and drivability.

As for the grinding noise, I too hear it at least 2-3 times on my daily trips and I have concerns. I have contacted VW Canada as well as my dealer. The only answer I got was wait until I hit the 2k-3k Km's and the sound should subside. My dealer also mentioned he as heard of many with the same issue. Thanks for all the info that people have sharing, please continue to do so and keep everyone up to date on the latest news.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Folks, please take the time to read through this thread - it's long but some great info on this noise:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts