Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: 2019 Atlas 2.0T SE w/Technology package

The RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) system on my Atlas will only function when the vehicle is in reverse AND the brake is NOT applied (dealer service advisor reported that “they all do that”). That seems like a defective design and a potential safety hazard.
With my previous Chrysler and a current Subaru, the RCTA system functions (in reverse gear) with brake applied or not. To me, it seems counter intuitive for VW to design the system to only function when the brake is not applied.
A secondary directly related concern is that my Atlas has substantial ‘creep’ when in drive or reverse (with foot off the accelerator pedal). On a level surface, my Atlas will creep (accelerate) to 4-5 miles per hour in a single car length. That said, I will not back out of a parking spot without modulating the brake the entire time.

Consider the following scenario. You’re backing out of a parking space in a busy mall parking lot with lots of pedestrian traffic. You modulate the brake (but never completely let off the brake) while backing out of the parking space. Unfortunately, you would not get an RCTA system alert if cross traffic was present, as the RCTA system would not be active when the brake is applied in any manner (including the electric hand brake).

One of the reasons I purchased the Atlas was because it has an RCTA system. Yes, I should not have assumed it would function the same way as the Subaru and Chrysler system.

So, a few questions for the many experienced and knowledgeable Atlas owners………
  • Does the RCTA system operate this way on all VW models and years?
  • Can the RCTA system software be ‘adjusted’ or modified with a VCDS or OBDEleven to remain active (engaged) with the brake applied?
Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
A few comments. Firstly, I don't see this a dangerous situation - cars have been operating for years without them so having any additional safety feature is a plus. Second, I believe it beeps at you if there is something in your rear cross-traffic area if you are in reverse with the brake on...I guess I need to check this out/test it...you may be right. I would not in anyway mess with any safety systems using VCDS/OBDEleven and that's from someone (me) that has done A TON of mods with those tools.

To the "creep" - every car I've ever owned will move at what become ~5mph if you let off the brake in an auto...not sure on that one. Nothing about the Atlas is all that strange to me I guess.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few comments. Firstly, I don't see this a dangerous situation - cars have been operating for years without them so having any additional safety feature is a plus. Second, I believe it beeps at you if there is something in your rear cross-traffic area if you are in reverse with the brake on...I guess I need to check this out/test it...you may be right. I would not in anyway mess with any safety systems using VCDS/OBDEleven and that's from someone (me) that has done A TON of mods with those tools.

To the "creep" - every car I've ever owned will move at what become ~5mph if you let off the brake in an auto...not sure on that one. Nothing about the Atlas is all that strange to me I guess.....
Thanks for the quick response KarstGeo.
Yes, cars have been operating without safety systems for years. My issue is that I paid for the system and I believe it is unsafe as designed due to the issues I mentioned.
I can assure you that there is no ‘beep’ if rear cross traffic is detected when the brakes are applied on my particular vehicle.
In my opinion, this issue is no different than having a forward emergency auto braking system that is cancelled if the brakes are applied, or seat belt pretensioners not engaging if brakes are applied or air bag deployment cancelled if brake application is detected at point of collision.
Someone told me that the SEL model with park assist will not cancel RCTA when the brake is applied. Can anyone confirm this?
A few months ago I called VW of America Customer Service regarding this issue and they confirmed (after internal consultation) that the system in my car is working as designed, although they did admit that it seems that the system should have been designed to remain active if braking is applied and they would submit a recommendation/suggestion to have this issue looked into further. I’m not holding my breath.

I have arthritis in my neck and back which makes it painful for me to twist and look out the rear when backing up. That is why my previous vehicles had a ‘real’ cross traffic alert system. Had I known VW couldn’t or wouldn’t design a complete RCTS system, I would never have purchased a VW.

Is there anyone out there that either works for VW or has technical knowledge of the VW RCTA system that can explain the system design rationale?

Thanks for any assistance provided.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know that in my SEL Premium with park assist, the thing beeps like crazy if anything is detected in any direction at slow speed. I don't know how to test it besides asking someone to drive behind me while I am backing up. I know that if I don't remember to turn OFF RCTA when I have the bike rack on my Atlas it WILL slam on the brakes every time I try to back up. I don't know if it brakes if I am already on the brake. I'll have to try that.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
I know that in my SEL Premium with park assist, the thing beeps like crazy if anything is detected in any direction at slow speed. I don't know how to test it besides asking someone to drive behind me while I am backing up. I know that if I don't remember to turn OFF RCTA when I have the bike rack on my Atlas it WILL slam on the brakes every time I try to back up. I don't know if it brakes if I am already on the brake. I'll have to try that.
That is a different system and I get why folks get confused. RCTA uses the blind spot monitoring system to look for vehicles/pedestrians that will pass behind the Atlas i.e. backing out of a parking space. The park pilot (radar "beepers" on the f/r bumpers) is what is causing it to stop when you have your bike rack on and making all the beeping racket. Specifically it's the "maneuver braking" that does this and you can turn it off in the "parking/maneuvering" menu.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is a different system and I get why folks get confused. RCTA uses the blind spot monitoring system to look for vehicles/pedestrians that will pass behind the Atlas i.e. backing out of a parking space. The park pilot (radar "beepers" on the f/r bumpers) is what is causing it to stop when you have your bike rack on and making all the beeping racket. Specifically it's the "maneuver braking" that does this and you can turn it off in the "parking/maneuvering" menu.
Interesting. I assumed that RCTA used the parking radar....never thought about the blindspot monitors being used....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts