Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an Atlas V6 since its launch in 2017. I used the original tire (continental cross contact LX Sport) during summer/spring/fall and a set of winter tires for the snow. My car has 50 000 km (about 31 000 miles) So the original tires may have something like 35 000 km of wear (about 22 00 miles). Still, they are worn out at 4 / 32, in less than 2 years.

Is this normal? I do not drive aggressively but I do a lot of dirt road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
OE tires often don't last v. long - I'd say it's perfectly normal to not get long life out of the OE tires on just about any vehicle. Just get a new set of better tires and drive on. Usually OE tires don't come with a treadwear warranty and even if they did, so what? You get the same crappy tires back at a discount. Ours (Contis) are at ~17K and seem to be wearing evenly but likely will get replaced by 30K by the looks of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got almost 37,000 miles on my 2018 Atlas and the tires are ready for replacement. I’m glad they lasted longer then yours, but I’m still not thrilled with mileage. I guess it’s not terrible, but I’ll be looking for a longer life tire soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this is standard for car manufactures. My last 6 Toyotas have all needed tires at 30,000 miles (3 Camrys, 2 Sienna Vans, 1 Tacoma Truck) I just bought an 2019 Atlas and I love it so far =)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve got almost 37,000 miles on my 2018 Atlas and the tires are ready for replacement. I’m glad they lasted longer then yours, but I’m still not thrilled with mileage. I guess it’s not terrible, but I’ll be looking for a longer life tire soon.
37K is very good (to me) for an OE tire. I've never had a tire go over 50K, ever and quite honestly, I don't want it too b/c at that point it will likely need replacing due to time anyway. 40K seems to be the sweet spot for me for tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think this is standard for car manufactures. My last 6 Toyotas have all needed tires at 30,000 miles (3 Camrys, 2 Sienna Vans, 1 Tacoma Truck) I just bought an 2019 Atlas and I love it so far =)
Just got rid of our Sienna. That thing chewed through tires. I maybe got 35k per set even with regular rotation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S in my very near future :wink2:

Thanks to Discount Tire who helped me out on this issue and provided a smoking deal
trading in the Continentals, I was not even a block from the store and noticed a HUGE
difference :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Discount Tire who helped me out on this issue and provided a smoking deal
trading in the Continentals, I was not even a block from the store and noticed a HUGE
difference :cool:
What was it like when they had serious wear? My 2018 4Motion Atlas is at 24,000 miles (11 months old) and shimmies so badly on the freeway, it scares me. Service had my car for 4 days and took everything apart & looked at it, concluded it was the tires. (Yes, all recalls fixed and updated).

My husband thinks this is outrageously early to replace tires, but I'm afraid I'm going to have a blowout if I don't. Feels really unsafe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What was it like when they had serious wear? My 2018 4Motion Atlas is at 24,000 miles (11 months old) and shimmies so badly on the freeway, it scares me. Service had my car for 4 days and took everything apart & looked at it, concluded it was the tires. (Yes, all recalls fixed and updated).

My husband thinks this is outrageously early to replace tires, but I'm afraid I'm going to have a blowout if I don't. Feels really unsafe.
Mine did not have wear, the noise was the biggest issue so I swapped them out with less then 200 miles on them. not only was the noise gone I also
noticed after a few days at slow speeds and turning it felt more sure and not like the tires was rolling over it's self. I'm thinking that the sidewall on
the Michelin's are a bit more stiff or better constructed ? I stayed with the same size as the OEM tires.

I can related to the shimmy deal, I had a 2014 Sliverado that had that from the day I drove it off the lot and GM / Chevrolet had it for five months
before they bought it back. If your service determined that the tires are the issue have you contacted the manufacture to see if they would help ?
I've seen over the years where there have been casting issues with tires not many but it does happen, as well as a belt could have snapped or a
sidewall could have been impacted, is service suggesting all 4 tires are bad ? that alone would be hard for me to believe. I would have a concern on just what they
took apart on a 24k 11 month old Atlas and after 4 day's how they arrived with the diagnosis of tires ?

My suggestion would be to take your paper work to a dealer who manufactured the tire, and have the store manager ride with You.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen over the years where there have been casting issues with tires not many but it does happen, as well as a belt could have snapped or a
sidewall could have been impacted, is service suggesting all 4 tires are bad ? that alone would be hard for me to believe. I would have a concern on just what they
took apart on a 24k 11 month old Atlas and after 4 day's how they arrived with the diagnosis of tires ?

My suggestion would be to take your paper work to a dealer who manufactured the tire, and have the store manager ride with You.
They said they ruled everything else out - suspension, drive shaft, etc.

The rear tires are worn to **** on the inside. I took it to an Americas Best Tire Co for a second opinion and they were pretty surprised by it, and suspected the alignment was off. Front tires were still a 5 and worn more evenly.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should try to get out of the lease or not ... If I do decide to keep the car, I will put all new Michelin Defender tires on all four wheels and drive it directly up to VW to fix whatever this alignment problem is.

The galling thing is that VW said the tires have a cupping problem. I don't see it, my husband doesn't see it, and the tire shop didn't see it - just the wear.

I personally think they should cover the cost of new tires, considering that even a crap tire like that should make it further than 20K and I had done all regular maintenance, so if there was a serious alignment issue, they should've caught it.

Having a very disappointing experience with this Ventura CA dealership overall, which sucks because I really like the people there (with the exceptoin of the horrible finance guy - Ari).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Trying to get out of a lease early is long and costly process even if you have a magic wand, read through your contract.

Based on your post, I'd consider the Michelin Defenders, after I had mine installed by Discount tires it was like night and day difference
and with their package comes free rotations and replacement. I think that America & Discount are the same company and that location
determines what goes where.

If you decide to install the Michelin Defenders why not give the dealer one more shot ? Call the service manager and make an appointment
with all of your paper work in hand ask if he'd realign the suspension at an internal cost this will show your willing to work with them
despite their questionable diagnosis. as for getting any help on the tires they are considered a wear item just like brake pads and wiper inserts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts