Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I can hear sounds coming from the suspension. A loud knocking sound when driving over bumps / moguls. Apparently when driving slowly and the car tilts frequently from side to side over large bumps. Dealer has replaced the stabilizer links and says everything else is ok. 2019 SEL premium 3.6 20k miles. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can you guys give any suggestions on what to do?

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Help. I can hear sounds coming from the suspension. A loud knocking sound when driving over bumps / moguls. Apparently when driving slowly and the car tilts frequently from side to side over large bumps. Dealer has replaced the stabilizer links and says everything else is ok. 2019 SEL premium 3.6 20k miles. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can you guys give any suggestions on what to do?
Could be the strut dust boots. Could be the steering rack. Have you spent some tine scrolling through the posts here? Lots of posts related to this question so need for another post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 Cross Sport SEL 4 motion with 2000 miles on it and just had the sway bar links(both sides)replaced last week. The noise was quite loud and very noticeable at lower speeds/smaller bumps in the road. I am taking it back after 2 weeks as the noise is better but still there while at lower speeds and over most all bumps in the road. Like the car but not happy with the continued issue in the front end. If they cannot fix it this time, I will reach out to Volkswagen Corp. customer service next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 atlas cross sport. Just had sway bar And links replaced. Less than 10000 miles Also mentioned to them about driver side window sounds like it is down. Very noisy. Said it’s air from mirror. Can’t do anything about it 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reading other posts here about similar problems, I took mine in. It was the sway bar in my Atlas. Wish I still had access to the video clip my dealer's repair shop made where they took a look underneath and filmed it, confirming what I reported (the sway bar). After replacing the driver's side sway bar, the technician drove it around for a few minutes, then brought it back in and replaced the passenger side one for good measure. I haven't heard the sound again since (it's been around 10K miles since then).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 Cross Sport SEL 4 motion with 2000 miles on it and just had the sway bar links(both sides)replaced last week. The noise was quite loud and very noticeable at lower speeds/smaller bumps in the road. I am taking it back after 2 weeks as the noise is better but still there while at lower speeds and over most all bumps in the road. Like the car but not happy with the continued issue in the front end. If they cannot fix it this time, I will reach out to Volkswagen Corp. customer service next.
Took mine back and they had it three days and now had to replace the strut mount on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading other posts here about similar problems, I took mine in. It was the sway bar in my Atlas. Wish I still had access to the video clip my dealer's repair shop made where they took a look underneath and filmed it, confirming what I reported (the sway bar). After replacing the driver's side sway bar, the technician drove it around for a few minutes, then brought it back in and replaced the passenger side one for good measure. I haven't heard the sound again since (it's been around 10K miles since then).
Was this covered under warranty? If not, what were the costs? Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to send some feedback. It was sway bars links. After replacing them everything come back to normal. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was this covered under warranty? If not, what were the costs? Thank you.
It was 100% covered. Because mine was a 2019, I got the 6 year/72,000 mile warranty (and I have at least 12K more miles before I hit 72,000), and it was completely covered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there - I have the same - sway bar links replaced about 6 months ago and now the noise is coming back slowly again - a bit fed up to be honest with this vehicle - excessively noisy wipers too! Be interested if you had the problem fixed - thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - I have the same - sway bar links replaced about 6 months ago and now the noise is coming back slowly again - a bit fed up to be honest with this vehicle - excessively noisy wipers too! Be interested if you had the problem fixed - thanks
There is a VW recall for this - Service Action 40R1 - Front Stabilizer Coupling Rod

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Have you replaced the wipers? New wipers almost always fix this kind of thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Recall 40R1, just got my letter today, to address the Front Stabilizer Coupling Rod. I still think I got one built on Wednesday since I've not had any of the issues everyone else seems to be having. But when I take mine in for it's 2nd oil change, I'll have them do the front end work. Granted, I live in the Detroit metro area. If there are ANY ROADS in the united states short of secondary roads, any suspension noises I'll hear. I also have a 09 Jeep and 2011 Town&Country so I'm well aware of noises. Both normal and not normal. :sneaky:

But the car was purchased new Jul 2019. It's currently at 14k miles and 90% of that is hwy miles (trips). July, took a trip down to Long Beach MS. 1068miles one way. Drove down in a day, drove back in a day. Car was one **** of a nice drive with exception of having to stop and fill up it's itty bitty gas tank every 350-400 miles (I don't' like to drive on empty).

As for the wipers? I JUST replaced mine. Granted the car sits in the garage when not driven but I second guessed my judgement and went ahead and replaced them anyway though they seemed to work just fine. A little noise when it's cold but that is normal when wipers, just like tires, start getting hard and don't flex as well as new. Stick with Bosch blades. I run them on all my cars and wouldn't buy anything else. Everyone has pet peeves about their cars. But having owned 3 other VW's from 81 to now, I accept the shortcomings and drive on. No one likes the be told or think they made a bad investment but it's a learning experience. Thats why I will NEVER own another Honda of any level and it'd be hard pressed to own a Toyota based on my past experiences with costs of repair and the numerous repairs they needed over the life of ownership. Being my 3rd Jeep, I'd buy/own another in a heart beat. Chrysler minivan? After 3, I think I'm done. Just don't need one now I have the Atlas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you replaced the wipers? New wipers almost always fix this kind of thing.
Just about to….I know it sounds petty and trivial but got the vehicle with 7000 miles. Wipers needed replacing, now at 17000 miles and same again. Doesn’t rain that often and is garaged. I suppose they just seem excessively loud and yes you are right new wipers make it all go away. I think I changed my wipers on previous Toyota 3 times in 89000 miles which is why it seems excessive on the Atlas. Anyway!

Thanks for the info on stabilizer rods. Picking up Atlas tomorrow with new rods installed. VW have kindly ordered brand new steering rack for me on warranty. Very odd but when turning in a parking space and the steering wheel straightens up it has been juddering briefly. Never on Highway and is super smooth so don’t believe it is a tire balance issue. Good news is that VW dealership was able to experience it also and so now they know what I am talking about. Will post an update. Went to test drive a Subaru Ascent….nice car but when I took the Atlas to Greenville SC the other day I thought what a fantastic vehicle the Atlas is. So so good in so many ways, a bit disappointed that it has had so many teething issues but I won’t be trading it anytime soon as I think once these things are rectified it’s a terrific vehicle. BTW found the Ascent to be quite nosy in the cabin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got the recall for the sway bar coupling joints as well. I got my 19 atlas in November 19, and have experienced this noise since new but wasn’t too bothered by it until recently it’s gotten worse. Great timing because I was just about to take it in for this issue. This problem is nothing compared to cars I’ve had in the past. It’s been rock solid otherwise. Now if they would only issue a software update for the gearing so it doesn’t make that hissing sounds in 3rd gear at low speeds it would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
I just got the recall for the sway bar coupling joints as well. I got my 19 atlas in November 19, and have experienced this noise since new but wasn’t too bothered by it until recently it’s gotten worse. Great timing because I was just about to take it in for this issue. This problem is nothing compared to cars I’ve had in the past. It’s been rock solid otherwise. Now if they would only issue a software update for the gearing so it doesn’t make that hissing sounds in 3rd gear at low speeds it would be perfect.
Don't hold your breath....you will never see that TCU tune change on this car, it will impact their mpg calcs etc. Have you seen the rubber covers you can add to cover the openings in the trans bell housing? It muffles it a bit and it's how the current models are coming from the factory. There is a big thread here about that noise and I have added some info about the covers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I have never heard of it but thanks for telling me. That’s something I’m definitely interested in doing. The noise doesn’t bother me as much as others I’ve seen that have gotten rid of the car just because of it, but anything to lessen the sound is worth exploring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
UPDATE - new sway bar stabalizer end links and nuts installed two days ago - drove to Charleston SC for weekend. Atlas drives like it should - rock solid and feels like a typical Audi/VW solid suspension should - especially good place to test in downtown Charleston due to all the pot holes and manhole covers. Drives and handles really well. I think but I am not sure that sway bar end links which were replaced back in January were a different manufacturer which did not cut it - on the notes VW made on the service invoice was something about the links being removed and replaced with xyz brand links as per VW factory recall. Perhaps lots of folks had sway bar links replaced in 2020 and 2021 and the problem returned - hence the Oct 21 recall. No idea but the Atlas feels awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts