Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving with my family in our 2019 Atlas SEL Premium R-Line when the emergency brake system engaged out of nowhere. I have been having issues for a while with the perimeter sensors alerting when there are no reason to but this is a first, an extremely dangerous first!! I was traveling straight approximately 30 mph with no other vehicles or obstacles around when an alarm sounded and the dash lit up red as the vehicle braked to a screeching halt which lasted a few seconds. I was shocked at what happened and if a vehicle was behind me we were sure to get hit. Additionally if we were on a highway or just traveling at a higher speed on a congested NYC roadway things would have been tragic. I am concerned with my wife driving this vehicle. As I mentioned earlier I have had issues with the perimeter sensors alerting for no reason in the past. In the winter the sensors freeze easily while driving and it causes alert and I have to shut off the lane stay alert. But these issues happen during normal conditions also. Now I am extremely concerned with this braking issue. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can be done to correct this? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
You have to work this through a dealer is the answer. Definately a glitch in the system. I occasionally get the parking sensor to go off when there isn't anything that should set them off but only when travelling slowly. I've never had an issue with the front collision assist. The winter issue is just a fact of life with this kind of thing and I think it's even called out in the manual (icing up etc.). Best to have the dealer look at it, check for errors, and document it. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine did the same and about the same speed (30–35mph) I thought it might have been a Bug splattered on the sensor or a bird. Sounds lame but I don’t know too much about the sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had similar issues... never at high speed but the emergency braking has engaged many times when traveling below 10mph. Its quite annoying and could be dangerous. I too have frequent sensor problems where the car thinks someone is approaching (from various sides). I'm documenting how and when this happens before I take it in to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I've had similar issues... never at high speed but the emergency braking has engaged many times when traveling below 10mph. Its quite annoying and could be dangerous. I too have frequent sensor problems where the car thinks someone is approaching (from various sides). I'm documenting how and when this happens before I take it in to the dealer.
The slower speed braking is a different issue and is likely the maneuver braking system that is part of the park pilot system if you have an SEL or above. Sometimes the parking sensors "see" things like the road/driveway etc. when on steeper grades. I turned mine off b/c I got sick of having to creep into/out of my driveway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts