Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leasing a 2021 Atlas SE, 4 cylinders, 4Motion. Got it new in August 2020.

January 2021. After around 7k miles, I started hearing a rattling sound from the front right side, especially when driving over small bumps or on a rough road. Went to the dealership where I got the vehicle. Service advisor told me that this is a known issue with the Atlas and it would take a few weeks for a replacement part to arrive because the part is back ordered (sway bar link). After the part arrived, sway bar link was replaced and the sound was gone.

Now it’s happening again except it’s coming from the rear/rear right side. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from and it only happens on a rough road or on small bumps. I recorded the sound and went back to the same dealership. After arguing with a service advisor (he didn't believe me...), he decided to call the foreman to listen to the sound that I had recorded. Then I drove the vehicle with the foreman. We drove around the neighborhood for half an hour and he heard the strange sound/rattling. Before taking the vehicle to the dealership, I checked the second and third row seats, fastened all the seatbelts back there, and checked for anything loose but the rattling was still there. The car is now at the dealership. Dealership got me a rental car while the foreman tries to pinpoint the source of that sound.

There’s also a sporadic, strange sound in the driver's door. It’s as if there’s something loose in the door or the window is loose. Sometimes the sound is loud, sometimes it’s low. Also sporadic cracking sounds from the front passenger dashboard area/front passenger door. But the dealership can’t diagnose the issues if they don’t hear the sounds when they drive the vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also had the sway bar issue and replaced. Haven’t heard anything from the rear ... yet. I was just back there this weekend and took everything out as I was checking the spare’s pressure. I could see if the spare wasn’t tightened down all the way, or if one of the tools got loose you could hear a muffled rattle/thud. If none of that is it, it could be one of the many heat shields or the like that has worked its way loose.

When I was taking my car in the for front endlinks, I found a way to push/shake the car to get the thud w/o driving it. I knew from experience if they can’t replicate the sound, there is nothing they will do. I wanted to make sure they could hear it so I did this in front of the service tech. (Make sure they knew I wasn’t crazy). I know it is at the dealer, but if it is not fixed, try to find a way to get it to rattle w/o driving it as the roads around the dealership may be better than the roads you routinely drive.

Hopefully, they get it fixed though and it is nothing major. (BTW ... when I was diagnosing my front end rattle, I found connector in the cowl cover over the passenger front strut. It had been cut off and just laying there. Came like that from the factory. Could be that something like that feel in the back and it just now worked its way loose.)

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Either f. sway bar end links or the the strut boots. Mine had noisy strut boots and I just pulled the f. wheel and liberally sprayed silicone lubricant spray on the upper spring mount/strut mount/boot. Sorted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vehicle was at the dealership for 10 days.
Rattling from the rear: dealership installed an anti rattle material.
Rattling from the driver’s door: dealership replaced the door panel, window switch, trunk lid switch, and harness.
After driving for a few hours the rattles came back…louder.
I’ll try a different dealership.

1.jpg
2.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Leasing a 2021 Atlas SE, 4 cylinders, 4Motion. Got it new in August 2020.

January 2021. After around 7k miles, I started hearing a rattling sound from the front right side, especially when driving over small bumps or on a rough road. Went to the dealership where I got the vehicle. Service advisor told me that this is a known issue with the Atlas and it would take a few weeks for a replacement part to arrive because the part is back ordered (sway bar link). After the part arrived, sway bar link was replaced and the sound was gone.

Now it’s happening again except it’s coming from the rear/rear right side. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from and it only happens on a rough road or on small bumps. I recorded the sound and went back to the same dealership. After arguing with a service advisor (he didn't believe me...), he decided to call the foreman to listen to the sound that I had recorded. Then I drove the vehicle with the foreman. We drove around the neighborhood for half an hour and he heard the strange sound/rattling. Before taking the vehicle to the dealership, I checked the second and third row seats, fastened all the seatbelts back there, and checked for anything loose but the rattling was still there. The car is now at the dealership. Dealership got me a rental car while the foreman tries to pinpoint the source of that sound.

There’s also a sporadic, strange sound in the driver's door. It’s as if there’s something loose in the door or the window is loose. Sometimes the sound is loud, sometimes it’s low. Also sporadic cracking sounds from the front passenger dashboard area/front passenger door. But the dealership can’t diagnose the issues if they don’t hear the sounds when they drive the vehicle.
The rattling in the rear is likely a heat shield. Easy fix by the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts