Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any Atlas owners have installed the Start/Stop Memory Module, shown in the link below?

The vendor is not shipping these currently, but I will order one as soon as they become available again. Also, I took off the front plastic trim panel to expose the A button module and wiring, which just slides out. It looks like a very easy install.

My only question is about the clearance and fit of the memory module inside the panel. Has anyone done this and can comment on the fit?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I need to do some research to see if there is just a fuse that can be pulled to disable this feature, if I can't figure it out then I would just pulled the trigger on this $30 that seems like a fair price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need to do some research to see if there is just a fuse that can be pulled to disable this feature, if I can't figure it out then I would just pulled the trigger on this $30 that seems like a fair price.
It's not just a fuse and unfortunately the voltage trick on some early MQBs doesn't work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got tired of waiting for the $40 start stop module to get in stock, but found another on ebay for $60. The vendor has sold over 20,000 and it is made in Germany which I think will probably be higher quality, comes with wire pins and is shipped DHL.
The install instructions are a little different with this being a universal model. In order to install it, there are three variations, depending on the signal wire voltage with the start/stop when the ignition is on and off.

Variant 1: 12 volts - Key On/ 0 volts - Key Off
Variant 2: 0 volts - Key On / 12 volts - Key Off
Variant 3: < 12 volts (e.g. 5 volts) - Key On / 0 volts when Key Off

I tried to measure the voltage today and the wires to the start stop panel are really small at least 18 gauge or smaller and I couldn't get a proper voltage reading with my multimeter. Does anyone have this information or a wiring diagram to share?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not just unplug the little lead on the battery where the start/stop gets it’s voltage reading? Free & you get an error on the dash but otherwise no issue. When you go in for service just plug it in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My high school auto mechanics teacher used to say that the worst thing you can do to a car (in terms of wear) is to start it.
However, I am starting to rethink the whole memory module approach, although I am looking at one which I paid $65, sitting on my desk. The area to fit it is really cramped, it will involve splicing into small wires, will probably be a hassle and might give the dealer cause to void future warranty repair items if discovered.
I am not a mechanic, but I used to do a lot of repairs to my cars, as a hobby. Everything on the VW is ridiculously over engineered, (I really want to say stupid). Simple things like swapping out the battery requires special equipment so you won't have to reflash your ECM and doing a simple oil change requires removing splash shields, making simple DIY jobs unnecessarily complicated. Thanks for your post, I will consider it.

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
My high school auto mechanics teacher used to say that the worst thing you can do to a car (in terms of wear) is to start it.
However, I am starting to rethink the whole memory module approach, although I am looking at one which I paid $65, sitting on my desk. The area to fit it is really cramped, it will involve splicing into small wires, will probably be a hassle and might give the dealer cause to void future warranty repair items if discovered.
I am not a mechanic, but I used to do a lot of repairs to my cars, as a hobby. Everything on the VW is ridiculously over engineered, (I really want to say stupid). Simple things like swapping out the battery requires special equipment so you won't have to reflash your ECM and doing a simple oil change requires removing splash shields, making simple DIY jobs unnecessarily complicated. Thanks for your post, I will consider it.
And your HS auto mech teacher was basing this off what....1960s car tech? Stop-start technology: what's the long-term impact on my car’s engine? | Autocar

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, at the time it was experience with engines with pistons that ran on gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
I guess I always default to - the folks that design these have to have some notion of what is going on and designing them to work. Start/stop tech has been around for quite a while now (I remember it available on the 2013 Focuses when I bought mine) and I'm not hearing any long-term issues with starters and engines failing prematurely. ****, most folks don't keep their cars long enough anymore for it to matter even if did have an impact. Read up on it. The starters work differently on vehicle with start/stop than the old-school/traditional starters to accommodate the higher duty cycles. The article I posted explains the differences in bearing tech to help with it. Do I miss it in my Golf wagon b/c it's a base model? No. Do I think I'll have my Atlas 10 years with no failures related to the start/stop? Yes. I got used to it, I like it/doesn't bother me. The sweet silence at stop lights! The only downside to me is w/r to the HVAC in the summer. The current programming has the start/stop disabled if you are 1) using "max" A/C or 2) if you have more than 4 for your fan speed. Sometimes I just let the brake up a skosh if I want the A/C to kick back on and it's bothering me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent it back to the seller today. I think that KarstGeo is started to get to me....scary!😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts