Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2021 Atlas cross sport SE/Tech R-line. The car literally has 60 miles on it and i am having horrible audio issues. It is called "Soft clipping", it is where the volume goes down when any type of bass or high treble comes through the speakers. Which results in the volume constantly going high and low. You can have a full conversation with the radio turned all the way up. Anyone else have these issues? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2021 Atlas cross sport SE/Tech R-line. The car literally has 60 miles on it and i am having horrible audio issues. It is called "Soft clipping", it is where the volume goes down when any type of bass or high treble comes through the speakers. Which results in the volume constantly going high and low. You can have a full conversation with the radio turned all the way up. Anyone else have these issues? Thanks!

I just got the same vehicle. I have this problem as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2021 Atlas R line. I have had it for 6 days. I thought I was crazy so I had my husband and his friend listen and they heard it too. Has anyone spoken to VW about this? I am going to write the dealer now. I'm not sure what is going to come of it but I am really unhappy with the vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work in service for a VW dealer. I have a 2021 GTI SE and I also have this issue. My 2018 GTI had the soft clipping volume issue as well but not nearly as bad. The MIB 3 infotainment DSP is way too overprotective. VW tech-line has no answers other than to check for the latest software updates. But they do confirm that there has not been a specific fix for this concern. The speakers that VW equipped these cars with are a joke. The cardboard box they come in actually weighs more than the speaker itself. For example, the warranty cost for just the part (RR door woofer) is $27. I've had this car for 6 months and I'm not happy with it. Not just because the audio sounds like crap even though it does spoil the mood. I love music and I love to listen to it loud at my discretion. I'll keep bugging them until they release a solution or I'll give up and get a different car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a Cross Sport SE w/technology and has the same audio issue. There’s no way to control the audio and although sounds is not bad, I can’t increase the volume.

I ask a technician at the dealer and he said that is a known issue, no known solution.

i think I will upgrade the speakers and install an Amp.

Have you upgraded yours? If so, please share your story.

thanks !

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a Cross Sport SE w/technology and has the same audio issue. There’s no way to control the audio and although sounds is not bad, I can’t increase the volume.

I ask a technician at the dealer and he said that is a known issue, no known solution.

i think I will upgrade the speakers and install an Amp.

Have you upgraded yours? If so, please share your story.

thanks !
I upgraded the speakers, got an amp and subwoofer. It will get only a little louder but the clipping issue will become more evident.
Try to keep ONLY treble at max and play a song like Starboy and show it to VW dealership.

Solution - I have been waiting on update for the past 5 months but heard back nothing from VW. The only solution at this point is to file a case under lemon law.
I spoke to a lemon law lawyer and it is a solid case for lemon law. They ll need to buy back the car or provide compensation.

Take it to VW and let them try to repair it 3 times and you have a solid case! Till then I won't recommend messing up the wiring, since VW might get an excuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I just got back from the dealership. They reset the system (no software update) and I actually does sound a little bit better, the volume seems to go up past 60% now. I am seriously considering changing out the speakers and see if that fixes anything. Its a real shame that VW thinks this is OK in a vehicle that cost just shy of $49K. My $50K BMW 330 basic sound system (not harmon kardon) blows this one away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I just got back from the dealership. They reset the system (no software update) and I actually does sound a little bit better, the volume seems to go up past 60% now. I am seriously considering changing out the speakers and see if that fixes anything. Its a real shame that VW thinks this is OK in a vehicle that cost just shy of $49K. My $50K BMW 330 basic sound system (not harmon kardon) blows this one away.
Yeah. It sounds a little better after reset but it goes back after 15-20 minutes of listening ( I think amplifier overheats or something)
They gave me a loaner Jetta and even that sounded better than my Atlas CS.

Yesterday they gave me this -

·
Registered
8 Posts
So you were right. My sound has gone back to it's old ways. I am only getting volume at 60%. What is funny is that after the reset it was fine and it fixed my wireless charger issue. So now I have the volume issue again and my wireless charger is having issues again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work in service for a VW dealer. I have a 2021 GTI SE and I also have this issue. My 2018 GTI had the soft clipping volume issue as well but not nearly as bad. The MIB 3 infotainment DSP is way too overprotective. VW tech-line has no answers other than to check for the latest software updates. But they do confirm that there has not been a specific fix for this concern. The speakers that VW equipped these cars with are a joke. The cardboard box they come in actually weighs more than the speaker itself. For example, the warranty cost for just the part (RR door woofer) is $27. I've had this car for 6 months and I'm not happy with it. Not just because the audio sounds like crap even though it does spoil the mood. I love music and I love to listen to it loud at my discretion. I'll keep bugging them until they release a solution or I'll give up and get a different car.
I'm thinking of purchasing an Atlas Cross Sport, with Fender Audio, once there are more options available in my area (fingers crossed the chip shortage gets better soon).

I'm interested in your above statement: The cardboard box they come in actually weighs more than the speaker itself.

Does that include the speakers included in the Fender audio system? I could be wrong, but I think they are made by Panasonic. I've installed Panasonic speakers in previous cars and enjoyed the sound quality. (y)

Also, since the Fender system includes a 480 watt, 12 channel amp, do you know if the soft clipping issue affects those systems as well? I guess this question could be for anyone to answer. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing an Atlas Cross Sport, with Fender Audio, once there are more options available in my area (fingers crossed the chip shortage gets better soon).

I'm interested in your above statement: The cardboard box they come in actually weighs more than the speaker itself.

Does that include the speakers included in the Fender audio system? I could be wrong, but I think they are made by Panasonic. I've installed Panasonic speakers in previous cars and enjoyed the sound quality. (y)

Also, since the Fender system includes a 480 watt, 12 channel amp, do you know if the soft clipping issue affects those systems as well? I guess this question could be for anyone to answer. :cool:
I test drove and checked the Audio in Fender version. It is much better than the normal Cross Sport but still not worth $50k and premium audio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why is that...and compared to what? Or is that just your personal opinion? :unsure:
Compared to any other German car and not even close to any premium audio.
The clarity and loudness is same as any other German car's standard audio.

And this is because, software is same across all MIB3 which limits the audio at around 60%, but with Fender system you have more speakers, amplifier and a subwoofer so it is not that notable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if VW has SVC settings which stands for Speed sensitive volume control or Speed variable change - this setting works by adjusting the volume of your radio in relation to the speed of the vehicle. If your menu has this setting, disable it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts