Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a really neat aftermarket build for the Atlas by the guys over at Smith VW. The "MallBaller" kit comes with a bunch of upgrades, including lighting kits, exhaust pipes, wheel and tire packages, blacked out grille, headlight trim and an intake system. There's a link to all the different products below the video for anyone interested.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The wookie exhaust pipe makes a substantial difference in the Atlas' exhaust note. They have some sound clips of it revving and launching with the muffler delete. Shouldn't be much drone at higher speeds either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off it's not 4wd so take that silly sticker off. I do like the simple rims for a car washing standpoint though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hear you about the sticker thing. I think the "4x4" and "4WD" monikers are so widely used now that most of us just don't think about it anymore. 4Motion is pretty decent compared to peer and for what it is though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
they had some group deal for certain parts in the vortex forum. Also, you can actually adapt it to have it 4 wheel drive, but MPG will suffer. Some have tried it already and they could have set it to on all the time but did not want to announce that as I am sure VW Corp would not like that to be done especially by a dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So you're saying the atlas has a locking differential to split the torque 50/50 front and rear? That would actually make it 4x4, otherwise it's awd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So you're saying the atlas has a locking differential to split the torque 50/50 front and rear? That would actually make it 4x4, otherwise it's awd.
Not a True one but you long code it to be full time on all 4s. A true 4x4 would distribute more to back or to front so in this regard with the Atlas the most one can get is 50% to the rear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A 4x4 has what's called a transfer case and that's bolted to the back of the transmission, when engaged it connects the front and rear directly together and to the transmission. So to reiterate it's a solid connection, and the front and rear will always turn at the exact same speed no matter the traction conditions. That is how 4x4 works. Anything with clutches or a differential instead of a transfer case is an awd system and not as durable as it doesn't need to be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
correct and this is why I said not a true 4x4 and such modification to me in not in mind. So far I have been very happy and impressed with the way the AWD has been performing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yup, it's just a awd system that is going to get stressed a lot more than if it was left alone.

We went with a fwd 2.0 SE because 99.99% of the people don't need or use 4x4 or awd.

But I live in snow they say! Traction in a two wheel drive with winter tires outclasses any awd system with regular all season tires.

And besides if it's really bad I'll take my pickup with four studded winter tires and 4x4 (and a set of 4 tire chains) if I really need to go somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was surprised how good the KO2 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's were on compact snow and ice. I was up in Seattle on business and a bad storm hit, I had chains but didn't need them, even in the steep hills and crazy steep parking lots up in Bellevue. This was on my 07' Touareg, I will never run LT tires on the Atlas...

I ran studs for years, but was very impressed with these tires I might not replace my aged set (tires have a shelf life due to ozone of around 8 years, hence when you buy new tires look for these dates as they can sit on the shelf for a year or more and even some expire there).

We got 4Motion because of our lifestyle, but it is no 4X4 like the original Touareg with lockers, low ratio, and air. Some folks on the Touareg forum even found an OEM switch to mechanically lock a mythical front diff...yet to find said diff but several have purchased the part and are working towards mechanical center, rear, and front diffs.

I have to say I am glad the Atlas isn't a true 4x4 either...range would be terrible with all that extra weight and the floor would be higher limiting the interior space we all love. For example my Touareg front passenger seats don't even have a flat floor because the transfer case and stepper motor are below and take up legroom, not to mention the center console would be higher and wider to accommodate the transmission between you and the front passenger...yup the Atlas works for us as is. I am not modifying it at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts