Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having a problem going into or out of driveways, parking lots etc.? My 2018 Atlas SEL with Tech. will apply the brakes unexpectedly if the front bumper gets too low. This has happened several times while pulling into traffic and most recently leaving a parking lot where I was almost hit from behind. Unfortunately I am going to turn my Atlas in if they can not solve this issue. It's a safety hazard and I find it hard to believe they haven't found a fix for this issue. The only solution I have been given is to turn off the sensors which turns off multiple safety features, features I paid for as part of a safer vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup. I have the same issue. It's been talked about quite a bit over on the vortex forum too. I think the consensus is that sensors on the front bumper are too low. As such even with slight slopes (driveways, parking lot exits, etc) the sensors end up recognizing the ground as a potential obstruction and BAM...brakes are applied. Happens to me everyday leaving my office parking lot. On more than one occasion it's put me in harms way by slamming on the brakes when I'm trying to make a left out of my lot against oncoming traffic. I end up shutting the sensors off when I'm pulling out now. That being said they did save my butt one time when i was backing into my long driveway and got too close to a protruding wall on my way in.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
There is a lot of info here/vortex regarding this issue. It's the maneuver braking and you can simply turn it off in the parking menu - basically below a certain speed it thinks the road/driveway are obstacles and that you are parking so it applies the brakes. Do some searching if you need more info. It's easy to solve this however I understand the frustration that folks want VW to remedy this better than "turn it off".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm taking my Atlas in for the last time to see if they can remedy this issue, I refuse to turn off the feature every time I pull into or out of a driveway. They need to fix the problem. I was told that the issue would be addressed in the 2019 models but the 2018 models were considered as"operating as designed" I have taken my Atlas back to San Diego , the dealership where it was purchased , and to the Cerritos dealership with the same results " NO Results" I'm considering turning it in early and taking my loss on the lease. Maybe this should be a recall ? Great vehicle but this is definitely a safety issue I don't want to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
At some point, you time has a higher value that this feature, just permantely turn it off (you have to do this I have found 3x to have it "stick") and drive happy. VW can't fix what isn't "broken" - if this is the design, they won't be able to remedy it. I just chose to move past it. I don't lease so this is mine for 12 years (I hope!) and if this is the only issue...I'll be fine with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rickjrinaldi- What SD dealership are you using? I bought mine at South Bay VW, going to call them today to see what they say.
This happened to me for the first time yesterday-I've had the Atlas 2 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts