Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm new to the forum, as I just purchased a 2018 Atlas R-Line here in South Florida. Today I noticed in the sunlight that the brakes were extremely rusty and corroded looking. Can you please let me know if this is something common, for VW's that possibly are located near salt water - and if so, would there be this much rust in only 2-3 years? thanks!

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
Yep - 100% normal. Look at any vehicle's brakes that spends any time near salty air/water/snow etc. You get some surface rust on the undercarriage, suspension, and brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks @KarstGeo for the quick response. I took it to a garage earlier, and he said this was common on German cars. I'm looking into ways of cleaning, painting or even replacing them next - as this rust looks like crap up close. Check out the new ride below :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very normal on VWs, not common on BMWs or MERCs just because they have better quality coatings from factory. You can paint these for sure.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
Very normal on VWs, not common on BMWs or MERCs just because they have better quality coatings from factory. You can paint these for sure.
You can get cryo-coated rotors that resist surface rust for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts