Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Thule 7503 aero edge (used to be on our Mazda CX-9 GT) with the straps and even with me adding 3/16” rubber pieces under the feet the sunroof of the Atlas just grazes the front bar. I may be able to get it to clear by moving the bar, but I have the biggest Thule roof carrier (almost 22 cubic feet) and am afraid that when I determine where those clamps need to sit, I'll be again interfering with the sunroof. Plus, it looks like I'm trying to making something work with these spacers, even though they are not obvious at first glance. Don't ever plan on opening the sunroof with the carrier on, but stranger things have happened....don't want to risk the possibility of messing up the roof or the motors, etc....

Thinking of getting the Yakima Flushbar with custom foot kit but want to know if it's noisy and if it can go through a car wash with them on? Thule is no problem with car wash. Please don't lecture me on the woes of automatic carwashes, I know they are not good, but I use them only occasionally to remove heavy dirt and always keep a solid coat of wax (not ceramic or anything crazy) on my cars, so even after years of using automatics, on my last car (owned for 9 years) you couldn't tell at all it had been through any. I just need to know if they will get ripped off. I know it varies by the kind of wash, too....just wondering who has them, and if you take them through and all is ok....

Thanks,
SB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why not get the factory cross bars? As opposed to an aftermarket which is probably going to cost you the same money as the factory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't get factory crossbars they are way more expensive the aftermarket I believe I paid $90 for mine and they are low profile, way less wind noise. I have had the same concerns going through car wash too mainly because of the roof rack that I have. I talked to a local car wash shop who said its safe to use but never tried it personally, to me it seems like the brushes will get caught somehow and damage either your vehicle or the machine.

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SE w/Tech & 2014 VW Jetta SEL w/Fender Audio
37 Posts
Don't get factory crossbars they are way more expensive the aftermarket I believe I paid $90 for mine and they are low profile, way less wind noise. I have had the same concerns going through car wash too mainly because of the roof rack that I have. I talked to a local car wash shop who said its safe to use but never tried it personally, to me it seems like the brushes will get caught somehow and damage either your vehicle or the machine.
I agree, I got a set off eBay and they are virtually the same as OEM bars but cost me around $75 shipped and have had no trouble with them!

Reactions: hashamhk

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was thinking Yakima because they seemed a little more low profile than the VW offering, and possibly quieter. I will check both of those others out. Assuming that both clear the sunroof and are not noisy at all? Also, I prefer silver bars to all black since the rails are silver.

SB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was thinking Yakima because they seemed a little more low profile than the VW offering, and possibly quieter. I will check both of those others out. Assuming that both clear the sunroof and are not noisy at all? Also, I prefer silver bars to all black since the rails are silver.

SB
I cant speak to the sunroof clearance as we do not have one but I would play it safe with the brushed style ones because that is what I have and can say they sit up enough I would wager they will clear. Also I have to agree, they fit the style better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought the Thule wing bars I think. Got them and the mounts off ebay. WAY cheaper than factory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Am I missing something when almost everyone saying aftermarket it cheaper (Specifically OP is saying brand name like Thule and Yakima)?

Nothing available less than $340 and I can buy factory cross bars for less than $300. I know they fit, won’t inhibit the factory sunroof and I’ve not seen reports of excessive wind noise. I’m all for aftermarket options, but I don’t see the point with the cross bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For reference, these are the bars I purchased.

How is the installation with these? Do they allow for the taper from front to rear that supposedly the rails have? And how is the wind noise? Have you ever taken it through a car wash with them on?

Thanks for the replies everyone...

SB

·
Registered
37 Posts
How is the installation with these? Do they allow for the taper from front to rear that supposedly the rails have? And how is the wind noise? Have you ever taken it through a car wash with them on?

Thanks for the replies everyone...

SB
Install is pretty straightforward. I have installed several non branded roof bars on vehicles over the years. The wife's old Q5 OEM bars were a dream to install though LOL. As for the taper, they shouldn't be that far up in the first place the front bars sit around the B-Pillar of the front door and the rear just near the C-Pillar on the rear door. There isn't an exact set placement I could find and it will depend on your application of them for their need to be adjusted. I will most likely need to shimmy them around when I throw our cargo box up there and see how it lines up. As for wind noise, it is definitely present but I would say it is only intrusive if you want a quiet drive. We listen to music almost every time we drive so it really does not cut through. I have never had a roof rack on that is whisper quiet. The closes you can come is a low profile set paired with a fairing which I have on my Jetta and I can still notice it. Not to mention the fairing sometimes will rattle which is even more annoying LOL! Lastly as for a car wash, I cannot speak to that. I only hand wash my vehicles or at the very least may pull into a bay car wash where I still technically wash the car myself. I have heard far too many horror stories about auto wash's scratching up paint, ripping off wiper blades and I just think they are a waste of money and do not clean well enough. I used to detail cars and we had an auto wash to run lot cars through just to freshen up the inventory and I can say those big felt strips that rub all over your car can get pretty caked with filth and it isn't like they take them off and clean them or replace them. Well now that I have written a paragraph, hope that helps! ;) (y)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just checked. I bought Thule ARB53 Aeroblades and the Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad foot pack. Got them used on ebay for $120 and $145 in great shape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts