Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 43,000 miles the 265/45 R21 Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires on my 2019 SEL premium are at the end of their life. I drive a lot of highway mileage. About a quarter of the miles logged were towing miles with a trailer weighing about 1500 pounds. Trailer holds Olympic class sailboats.

Pretty satisfied with the Pirelli's. However they got a little noisy at 25,000 miles and after 30,000 started to wobble so I could feel it in the steering wheel and carriage. Tires rotated and balanced regularly. After a recent 2,500 mile trek the inside tread on the rear tires has gone bald! Got the tires rebalanced but the wobble is still there.

Thinking of getting the same tire but would like to hear what others think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After 43,000 miles the 265/45 R21 Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires on my 2019 SEL premium are at the end of their life. I drive a lot of highway mileage. About a quarter of the miles logged were towing miles with a trailer weighing about 1500 pounds. Trailer holds Olympic class sailboats.

Pretty satisfied with the Pirelli's. However they got a little noisy at 25,000 miles and after 30,000 started to wobble so I could feel it in the steering wheel and carriage. Tires rotated and balanced regularly. After a recent 2,500 mile trek the inside tread on the rear tires has gone bald! Got the tires rebalanced but the wobble is still there.

I changed my tires to Fallen Wildpeak A/T's, 65k warranty, and they ride quieter than the factory tires and seem to do great in bad weather. Plus great off-road we drive on beach alot.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL R-Line
36 Posts

I recommend you to to an online tire seller such as TireRack.com and check the ratings for tires with the size you need. You can buy from TireRack.com and have them shipped to a tire shop for mounting near you listed on the site. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed my tires to Fallen Wildpeak A/T's, 65k warranty, and they ride quieter than the factory tires and seem to do great in bad weather. Plus great off-road we drive on beach alot.
Does not look like Falken produces the tire in the size I need.

Was thinking about the Yokohama x-CV which fits 265/45 R21. Had Yokohamas on a 2005 GMC Sierra and got close to 50,000 miles on them and the ride was pretty sweet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does not look like Falken produces the tire in the size I need.

Was thinking about the Yokohama x-CV which fits 265/45 R21. Had Yokohamas on a 2005 GMC Sierra and got close to 50,000 miles on them and the ride was pretty sweet.
so what did you decide? I’m in the same boat. My Pirellis have been decent and I’m sold on them unless another option is better!

·
Registered
21 Posts
so what did you decide? I’m in the same boat. My Pirellis have been decent and I’m sold on them unless another option is better!
I also had great experience with the Pirelli's. At 40K they are at 3/32. I have new ones ordered from Tire Rack. Great special on the 275/45/21. A little wider, a little lighter and 1mph change in speedo. I figured for the savings they should work fine.

·
Registered
2021 Atlas Cross Sport SEL Premium R-line with 4Motion
5 Posts
I also had great experience with the Pirelli's. At 40K they are at 3/32. I have new ones ordered from Tire Rack. Great special on the 275/45/21. A little wider, a little lighter and 1mph change in speedo. I figured for the savings they should work fine.
Are the 275/45/21's an acceptable size up that doesn't rub? I only have 4500k miles on my CS, but I've been thinking about getting wider tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are the 275/45/21's an acceptable size up that doesn't rub? I only have 4500k miles on my CS, but I've been thinking about getting wider tires.
They are less than a 1/2" total width difference. I think the car rides the same but they were way cheaper than the 265/45/21. No rubbing issues at all. In theory they wont be as good in the snow but its only .4" difference. I've driven in snow all my life and never had a snow tire.

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion
1 Posts
They are less than a 1/2" total width difference. I think the car rides the same but they were way cheaper than the 265/45/21. No rubbing issues at all. In theory they wont be as good in the snow but its only .4" difference. I've driven in snow all my life and never had a snow tire.
Your experience with the 275/45R21 tires on your is encouraging given that you've not had issues with rubbing, scraping, turning issues or anything of the like. Yes, the 275/45R21 tires are less expensive, look better and there is more options to select from. Do you have pics of the new tires on your Atlas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts